Re: LGC Rifle Sharpshooter Match *BETA TEST* Underway!

featureless wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:26 pm
Eris wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:02 pm Ummm, maybe I can't shoot this competition after all. I just got the targets in the mail and they are very, very small. The bulls are so close together that I'm afraid a miss on one bull will turn into a hit on another. Are there any target with the bulls spaced farther apart?
Give it a go. I suspect you'll surprise yourself!

yeah, give it a go - you need a benchmark to measure your improvement.... :drunklep:
Merle from PA

Eris wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:02 pm Ummm, maybe I can't shoot this competition after all. I just got the targets in the mail and they are very, very small. The bulls are so close together that I'm afraid a miss on one bull will turn into a hit on another. Are there any target with the bulls spaced farther apart?
Oh I'll certainly try. If nothing else I'll just shoot at one bull per target. :D But yeah, I plan on taking these targets to the range this weekend and seeing what I can do. I know I can do well if the gun is rested on a bag, so I just have to learn how to hold it steady in my arms.
106+ recreational uses of firearms
1 defensive use
0 people injured
0 people killed

Eris wrote:
Oh I'll certainly try. If nothing else I'll just shoot at one bull per target. :D But yeah, I plan on taking these targets to the range this weekend and seeing what I can do. I know I can do well if the gun is rested on a bag, so I just have to learn how to hold it steady in my arms.
Hello Eris, and greetings all from somewhere around Utica NY.

Glad to see some of you already shooting and so many others getting targets!

Yes, it should be quite challenging. But also give us all room to improve. Be sure to take advantage of the sighter bulls and make sure you're set up for the close range. You are welcome to use a rest of any sort to get you dialed in.

But also as a test run, the points spread will tell me if it's *too* challenging, and maybe add a string of "elbow rested" or some variance.
Not all indoor ranges allow a sitting position due to backstop variances, so out of everyone likely to participate we'll run a poll on that maybe..

In the meantime, shoot as much as you want, post some pictures, send me some scores, and let's start to suss out any patterns.

In and out of cell & wifi on the road..
Cheers..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Brian in StL

Bucolic wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:23 pm If it were, he’d need a scope...

(If you think I am envious of that rifle, you are right. I am. )

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I resemble that statement. :wave:

On the other hand, I'm really looking forward to putting my new 455 Standard through the paces. :D ....and just to expose myself for the total rifle newb that I am, do aperture/peep sights work well from a standing position? I assume they would, but I wonder if the sight picture would be as easy to line up as open sights. Inquiring minds want to know.

MaxWyatt wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:30 pm
Bucolic wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:23 pm If it were, he’d need a scope...

(If you think I am envious of that rifle, you are right. I am. )

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I resemble that statement. :wave:

On the other hand, I'm really looking forward to putting my new 455 Standard through the paces. :D ....and just to expose myself for the total rifle newb that I am, do aperture/peep sights work well from a standing position? I assume they would, but I wonder if the sight picture would be as easy to line up as open sights. Inquiring minds want to know.
Yes, and No. I did once shoot on the URI rifle team back in 73/74, using the Winchester 52 that I still have. It was a prone rifle, really, and too heavy for standing work with aperture sights. I never did very well in anything but the prone stages.... That said, aperture sights were standard equipment on all the rifles.
"We have met the enemy and he is us." Pogo.

I took a couple 10/22s to the range today, one with a scope, the other a red dot. I sighted both in at 50 feet. Supported, both will put 10 rounds into a single small hole.

Then I practiced offhand at 50 feet with the tiny bulls. This is gonna be hard. I will need a day when I am well rested and lightly caffeinated to not embarrass myself.

By the time I left about 300 rounds later, I could shoot ten rounds at a target with five bulls and put most/all in the black.

But this is gonna be hard...

LGC Rifle Sharpshooter Match *BETA TEST* Underway!

I had been shooting practice with a scoped, heavy-barreled, heavy stock 10/22 and I realized that fatigue really was a factor. So I put a scope one one of my lightweight Kidd 10/22s. I took it to the range this morning and sighted it in at 50 feet. Much better. It’s gonna take a lot of practice but it will be fun.

I will shoot the iron class with my CZ452 and the glass classes with “the Twins.” (Fraternal, not identical)

I did some testing yesterday. Seven targets used to test different ammo for the CZ455. It's still new to me so I'm working out what it likes best; I used a rest for those. Five rounds each for the test targets. At this range at least, the CZ seems to like the Federal Auto-Match; my wallet likes that possibility. :) The lower four targets I shot standing. I think I did OK, but fatigue started to become a factor. At this point, I'm glad I have the 22" barrel. I take back what I said about Sikacz having to use a pistol for this match. That 28" barrel isn't going to be an advantage for this match.

BTW, the black part of the targets measure about 1 5/8 inch in that printout so it's not totally legit. :blush:
The evidence:
20181001_rifletest.jpg

I was able to get out and shoot again yesterday afternoon (free time is the silver lining of furlough days). I spent about an hour practicing for Match 17 and then did another ammo test with the CZ455. It definitely seems to like the Federal Auto-match and the Mini-mags. After that test, I shot a practice set of ten targets free hand. Several shots just barely touched or missed the outer ring. Overall, I scored 90 points out of a possible 200. Not super spiffy, but I think if I shot a couple warm up rounds and then went straight to the 10 target format, the fatigue wouldn't get to me so badly. By the last two or three targets, I was getting pretty shaky. Clearly more practice is needed. I love the cz455 and as long as I hold it still enough the bullets go where they're told. :-)