Howdy from Kentucky

Hello everyone - I hail from Newport, Kentucky, which is just across the Ohio River from Cincinnati. My main pursuits are hiking, biking, fishing, cooking and, of course, shooting, though I'm relatively new to the latter. I joined the LGC to interact with folks of similar bent, basically meaning intelligent people who enjoy shooting sports and are comfortable in their own skins. I am also old enough to recall when the NRA was primarily an educational entity and non-political. Anyway, it's good to be here and I expect to learn a great deal while feeling right at home.

Jack Kerley

Re: Howdy from Kentucky

Welcome from Lexington KY!!!!!!! Let's go shooting sometime
All religions united with government are more or less inimical to liberty. All, separated from government, are compatible with liberty.-Henry Clay
Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms.—Aristotle

Hello David - as I mentioned I'm rather new to pistol shooting. My first handgun was a S&W Shield 9mm. I enjoyed target shooting with it so much that I recently got a S&W Victory, allowing me to shoot much more for the same money. My next gun will likely be a wheelgun, just for the heck of it. I'm looking at a Ruger Single Six, but more research to do.

Hiker wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:53 pm Welcome from Lexington KY!!!!!!! Let's go shooting sometime
Thanks to all for the welcome. To HIKER from Lexington: My wife and I love Lexington and visited a few weeks back for the Woodland Art Fair. Both of my children went to Transy, so another reason we visited often. We also have a cabin in Red River Gorge, which means we pass by on a regular basis. Question: Do you have a take on Bud’s Guns? It seems folks are of two minds, either like or dislike. And yep, I’d enjoy some shooting with a fellow Kentuckian, especially one with a moniker like Hiker, one of our major pleasures.

I've bought ammo and some accessories from Bud's. I've heard complaints but I've had no problems.
Living in NJ, buying handguns out of anything but a brick&mortar store is virtually impossible, and Bud's won't ship ANY gun even to an FFL that needs mods to make it NJ Compliant.
I did buy a Ruger 7 round .357 wheel gun, which seems like an awfully nice revolver (Not very experienced with them).
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

Holler1 wrote: Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:52 pm
Hiker wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:53 pm Welcome from Lexington KY!!!!!!! Let's go shooting sometime
Thanks to all for the welcome. To HIKER from Lexington: My wife and I love Lexington and visited a few weeks back for the Woodland Art Fair. Both of my children went to Transy, so another reason we visited often. We also have a cabin in Red River Gorge, which means we pass by on a regular basis. Question: Do you have a take on Bud’s Guns? It seems folks are of two minds, either like or dislike. And yep, I’d enjoy some shooting with a fellow Kentuckian, especially one with a moniker like Hiker, one of our major pleasures.
As far as Bud's goes, I have never had a problem. But I have never mail ordered anything, I have only shopped in the store. They have always been very nice. Next time you're down this way, we can go shoot there.
Or we could meet at Miguels Pizza and go for a hike afterwards!!!!
All religions united with government are more or less inimical to liberty. All, separated from government, are compatible with liberty.-Henry Clay
Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms.—Aristotle

Bardo wrote: Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:29 pm Hi from cincinnati
Hello Cincinnati – Nice to know there’s another local onboard. Whereabouts in the Queen City? And do you have a favorite range? As mentioned, I’m rather new to handguns, and the only range I’ve been to is Shoot Point Blank in Florence, where I go about once a week (I also have a makeshift range on our property in the Red River Gorge) and will likely get a membership. But I’d like to branch out just to experience other alternatives. And "Bardo" . . . Is that in the Tibetan Buddhism sense?

Yes I know the Rockhouse. The food has been disappointing in the past. BTW, let me know the next time your down at the Gorge. I'll bring some guns for you to tryout.

Holler1 wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:34 am
Bardo wrote: Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:29 pm Hi from cincinnati
Hello Cincinnati – Nice to know there’s another local onboard. Whereabouts in the Queen City? And do you have a favorite range? As mentioned, I’m rather new to handguns, and the only range I’ve been to is Shoot Point Blank in Florence, where I go about once a week (I also have a makeshift range on our property in the Red River Gorge) and will likely get a membership. But I’d like to branch out just to experience other alternatives. And "Bardo" . . . Is that in the Tibetan Buddhism sense?
westside of town near the ferry. no I cant find one (that isn't weird....i.e. lake bailee) besides point blank. if you do let me know.