Re: ANNOUNCING A NEW POSTAL MATCH - “Even-Handed Justice”

I'd love to say I've been practicing all this time... but I intend to get to the range after work tomorrow morning and shoot as many of these as I can in typical last-second fashion. I enjoy the pressure. ;)

As an added handicap, I inserted a 1/2" bamboo sliver under the skin on the palm of my left hand while gardening today. Your'e welcome.

Even-handed justice! :yahoo:

Bucolic, look for my scores to start dribbling in around 3 pm Eastern Time tomorrow. Thanks in advance for compiling the scores and for putting on this interesting and challenging Bullseye!
"I am not a number, I am a free man!" - Number Six

Bacchus wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:54 pm ... well, that was fun. For giggles, I shot weak hand centerfire with my 1911. It worked: When I saw my targets I actually laughed out loud. ;)
Me too. With a 7-round mag, I opted to shoot each string with 5 rounds and a reload. I noticed MASSIVE recoil anticipation on my part on one occasion, when I failed to notice the slide had locked back and I tried to fire the gun. I thought I was past that, but evidently not.

danhue wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:37 pm
Bacchus wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:54 pm ... well, that was fun. For giggles, I shot weak hand centerfire with my 1911. It worked: When I saw my targets I actually laughed out loud. ;)
Me too. With a 7-round mag, I opted to shoot each string with 5 rounds and a reload. I noticed MASSIVE recoil anticipation on my part on one occasion, when I failed to notice the slide had locked back and I tried to fire the gun. I thought I was past that, but evidently not.
Yep, same. Shot each round with 5 in the magazine. Slow fire wasn't *too* bad, but everything went to hell on the timed and rapid fire portions. Sure was fun though! All my attention was getting the darn sight back on target and then a quick trigger pull. What a hoot. :) Funny about not noticing the slide locking back- I might have done that, too. It got so lively on those rapid fire portions with the weak hand, it was hard to notice anything else. I think that's why this was so fun: Shooting weak hand only with a cartridge that has some oomph, it felt very fresh... like when I had first started shooting, but more fun than nerves. :)

The whole weak hand centerfire segment has really got me thinking about technique now. Honestly, I was lucky just to get some of the shots on paper. I've also noticed recently that when I've been shooting a lot of 22, that it takes some deliberate focus to shoot the 9mm correctly again. After 30 or so rounds, groups start appearing again. I have yet to fully grok :hmmm: the implications and causes of the phenomenon, but it seems that grip and follow through are central to the issue. .. probably some recoil anticipation too. Next time I'm shooting I'll be paying much closer attention!

This was a great idea for a match. We should do it again.

MaxWyatt wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:04 pm
The whole weak hand centerfire segment has really got me thinking about technique now. Honestly, I was lucky just to get some of the shots on paper. I've also noticed recently that when I've been shooting a lot of 22, that it takes some deliberate focus to shoot the 9mm correctly again. After 30 or so rounds, groups start appearing again. I have yet to fully grok :hmmm: the implications and causes of the phenomenon, but it seems that grip and follow through are central to the issue. .. probably some recoil anticipation too. Next time I'm shooting I'll be paying much closer attention!

Agreed on the match. I hope there was good participation, because I'd like to do it again, too.

Thoughts on the single weak-handed shooting thing: I found I could keep things relatively tight on slow fire, taking care with the grip, breathing, and trigger pull. Things fall apart (respect to Chinua Achebe) when the shooting got lively. The grip strength is there on my weak hand, but I seem to be missing a lot of the stabilizing muscles that offer so much better control with my right hand; I can let my wrist roll with the recoil just fine, but when I try to firm that up and control it the aim gets all wobbly until I can settle it down. Not an issue with Slow Fire, because there's time. But when trying to stay on - or get back on - target, all that wobble uses precious time that takes away from a careful trigger pull.

At least that's how I analyze my experience. My strong hand has all this practice with fine motor stuff that has developed stabilizing muscles. Granted, I used .45 ACP on the weak hand centerfire and 9mm on the strong hand. The recoil differential accounted for some variance, but not nearly all. I ran a practice target with 9mm weak hand, timed fire and found I had slightly better control but the same issue with getting back on target and the shots were still scattered. Looking forward to practicing more with the weak hand and faster fire.

Thank you Bucolic for putting this together, and to Sail (I think- sorry if I got that wrong) for the excellent named theme. :)

Even Handed Justice! :yahoo:

danhue wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:37 pm I noticed MASSIVE recoil anticipation on my part on one occasion, when I failed to notice the slide had locked back and I tried to fire the gun. I thought I was past that, but evidently not.
I'm glad I'm not the only one who does that. Occasionally, as I'm squeezing the trigger I give the gun a shake so violent that you might think I was trying to mix a can of spray paint! I really hope no one's watching.
IMR4227: Zero to 900 in 0.001 seconds

I'm only killing paper and my self-esteem.

Bacchus wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:16 pm
MaxWyatt wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:04 pm

Agreed on the match. I hope there was good participation, because I'd like to do it again, too.

Thoughts on the single weak-handed shooting thing: I found I could keep things relatively tight on slow fire, taking care with the grip, breathing, and trigger pull. Things fall apart (respect to Chinua Achebe) when the shooting got lively. The grip strength is there on my weak hand, but I seem to be missing a lot of the stabilizing muscles that offer so much better control with my right hand; I can let my wrist roll with the recoil just fine, but when I try to firm that up and control it the aim gets all wobbly until I can settle it down. Not an issue with Slow Fire, because there's time. But when trying to stay on - or get back on - target, all that wobble uses precious time that takes away from a careful trigger pull.

At least that's how I analyze my experience. My strong hand has all this practice with fine motor stuff that has developed stabilizing muscles. Granted, I used .45 ACP on the weak hand centerfire and 9mm on the strong hand. The recoil differential accounted for some variance, but not nearly all. I ran a practice target with 9mm weak hand, timed fire and found I had slightly better control but the same issue with getting back on target and the shots were still scattered. Looking forward to practicing more with the weak hand and faster fire.

Thank you Bucolic for putting this together, and to Sail (I think- sorry if I got that wrong) for the excellent named theme. :)

Even Handed Justice! :yahoo:
All of the above (and Thanks, you were not wrong)

I didn't shoot the weak hand centrefire, even with a pipsqueak 32ACP, because I was in the middle of a carpal tunnel thing. I didn't want the range owners to toss me for shooting up the walls and ceiling (not to mention the floor) :)
"We have met the enemy and he is us." Pogo.

I keep practicing one-handed, since that's how the serious bullseye shooters do it. After a dreadful session last week, I started to read from the awesome Encyclopedia of Bullseye Pistol (http://www.bullseyepistol.com/index.htm) and got some good tips. Really helpful. Here is what I could pull off tonight, indoors, at 50 feet, in ideal conditions:

IMG_1194.JPG

My Range Officer needs zeroing and shoots high and left, and I was shooting at 4:00 in the 5-ring. Not enough to center the shots, but a good group nonetheless, I think. 10 shots total. I badly jerked the trigger on that low left one, and 2 others were not so great. Still, I am happy because that's a huge improvement for me :)

danhue wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:40 pm I keep practicing one-handed, since that's how the serious bullseye shooters do it. After a dreadful session last week, I started to read from the awesome Encyclopedia of Bullseye Pistol (http://www.bullseyepistol.com/index.htm) and got some good tips. Really helpful. Here is what I could pull off tonight, indoors, at 50 feet, in ideal conditions:

IMG_1194.JPG

My Range Officer needs zeroing and shoots high and left, and I was shooting at 4:00 in the 5-ring. Not enough to center the shots, but a good group nonetheless, I think. 10 shots total. I badly jerked the trigger on that low left one, and 2 others were not so great. Still, I am happy because that's a huge improvement for me :)
Very nice! I need to practice my one-handed more......
"We have met the enemy and he is us." Pogo.

danhue wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:40 pm I keep practicing one-handed, since that's how the serious bullseye shooters do it. After a dreadful session last week, I started to read from the awesome Encyclopedia of Bullseye Pistol (http://www.bullseyepistol.com/index.htm) and got some good tips. Really helpful. Here is what I could pull off tonight, indoors, at 50 feet, in ideal conditions:

IMG_1194.JPG

Nice! I hope that someday I can do that, but my hand is so unsteady that I can't even always hit the target when I shoot one handed.
106+ recreational uses of firearms
1 defensive use
0 people injured
0 people killed

Eris wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:14 pm Nice! I hope that someday I can do that, but my hand is so unsteady that I can't even always hit the target when I shoot one handed.
You recently posted some target pics from a range session with your new Ruger 1911, and they were rather good. I don't know your age or health status, but I'm thinking that if you can shoot like that with 2 hands, then one-handed should really not be that way off.

I still consider myself a beginner, after less than one year of serious shooting. That said, I am motivated to improve, and I go to the range at least weekly. I also started dry-firing more. That target I posted is *not* representative of my skill level, but it felt good while shooting it (I wasn't seeing much of the typical spray pattern, which had me excited). I shot it after an average training session dedicated to one-handed shooting. I started with 30 shots of both 22LR and .45 at 50 ft on B3 targets (same bull size but more generous scoring). The group sizes were about the 8-ring and the 6-ring, respectively, excluding a few flyers. In each case, I noticed the sights were off, which is causing me a dilemma because I think they're okay for 2-hands, so not sure I want to adjust them. Maybe I'm wrong and this is more a symptom of poor technique. I was overall a bit disappointed, but as I was wrapping up to leave, I noticed the range had emptied, and with 20 minutes to spare, decided to try to put it all together in one final attempt. That was it.