Re: Howdy from the East Bay, CA

Breazyst wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:19 pm I've got a Savage BA Stealth in .308, with vortex optics. Had to sell my AR when I transferred back to CA, and my wife is not as comfortable around firearms, so that's it for now. Yourself?
I only started shooting recently. I did rent a DPMS AR-10 in .308 once and really, really enjoyed it.

HK-VP9,
Sig p320 rx Compact 9mm
Ruger 1771 7-round .357 revolver

Beretta Cx4 Storm in 9mm
Kel-Tec Sub2000 in 9mm (using Beretta mags same as the Storm)
And my latest and favorite: Marlin .357 1894 lever-action from 1978

Every purchase was made with my wife's OK and approval and all are carefully secured.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

YankeeTarheel wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:33 pm I only started shooting recently. I did rent a DPMS AR-10 in .308 once and really, really enjoyed it.

HK-VP9,
Sig p320 rx Compact 9mm

Beretta Cx4 Storm in 9mm

Every purchase was made with my wife's OK and approval and all are carefully secured.
Nice! I did a lot of shooting with a Sig P229 at work, and I love them. When I get a handgun, i'll most likely go with a Sig. And that Marlin must be a blast! Lever actions are great.

And thanks for the welcomes, Lurker and Mohead :beer2:

Breazyst wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:52 pm
YankeeTarheel wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:33 pm I only started shooting recently. I did rent a DPMS AR-10 in .308 once and really, really enjoyed it.

HK-VP9,
Sig p320 rx Compact 9mm

Beretta Cx4 Storm in 9mm

Nice! I did a lot of shooting with a Sig P229 at work, and I love them. When I get a handgun, i'll most likely go with a Sig. And that Marlin must be a blast! Lever actions are great.

And thanks for the welcomes, Lurker and Mohead :beer2:
I enjoy the Marlin the most, because I feel like I'm more in control than with the other rifles, but I really enjoy shooting both the Beretta and the Kel-Tec. Don't know why, but I like rifles better.

I slightly prefer the VP9 to the P320, but I like both of them very much.

Go to a range and shoot everything you can. Even though I'm still a newbie, I found that things I expected to like, I disliked, and things I expected to dislike I liked.
The H-K was my first choice and I haven't regretted it.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

:welcome:

Hello from the Free State of Nevada.

What branch of the military are you in? I was in the USMC, but it was a long time ago (Vietnam era).

And +1 on the Sigs. I have two P320s and the P365. I compared them overall with the Glocks. While the Glocks are pretty good (and cost less), I went with the Sig 9mm striker fired pistols. I am very happy to take them to the range or carry them.

The Sig quality is very good (just don't buy the new models for a year; let them work the kinks out first :-)

max129 wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:57 pm :welcome:

Hello from the Free State of Nevada.

What branch of the military are you in? I was in the USMC, but it was a long time ago (Vietnam era).

And +1 on the Sigs. I have two P320s and the P365. I compared them overall with the Glocks. While the Glocks are pretty good (and cost less), I went with the Sig 9mm striker fired pistols. I am very happy to take them to the range or carry them.

The Sig quality is very good (just don't buy the new models for a year; let them work the kinks out first :-)
I'm in Coast Guard aviation. I was just in Nevada not too long ago actually, we did a flyover at a veterans cemetery near silver springs. And I was stationed on Camp Lejeune for a couple years, so I know just how crazy you marines are :beer2:

Howdy from Houston! About guns and wives, they do get along and eventually you'll end up with more guns. Persistence. When I first mentioned to my wife that I'd like to buy a gun and start target shooting she was a bit hesitant. Her concern was safety and our cats. At that point I mentioned we've had an air rifle in our shared home for twenty or so years and it hasn't been a problem. No dead fur babies and so on. She tought about it and said, alright, but it has to stay unloaded and stored safely. Fast forward a bit and her comment to me a few weeks ago was shouldn't we keep one loaded. (We have plenty of guns now.) I said perhaps. Baby steps.
Last edited by sikacz on Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

Welcome, from the North Bay!

You are close to the Davis St. range where some of us shoot regularly. Also Richmond and Livermore have nice ranges not too far away.

Watch for a meetup sometime soonish...?
"To initiate a war of aggression...is the supreme international crime" - Nuremberg prosecutor Robert Jackson, 1946

Hello from the Santa Cruz area!

Your wife may be more comfortable going to the range a few times without any guys. I've taken many of my girlfriends and it's a totally different experience with an easy .22 and no guys around... a great way to get started or more comfy. :-)
“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.”
~ Mark Twain