Re: Shotgun life

I think what it boils down to is trigger time is trigger time. The more you shoot the better you get. I have known plenty of competitive trap shooters over the years and they all tended to be excellent shots with any kind of gun.

SubRosa wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:16 am
DavidMS wrote:I have heard that some old shotguns from the late 19th century/early 20th century do not have the metallurgical strength.
That would be those with Damascus barrels. Shows up with a pretty swirl pattern in the steel.

They were made by twisting a bunch of iron wires around a mandrel and beating them together under white heat. When they age, the inclusions start rust, and may unravel when fired. :w00t:

Subs
Damascus barrels are plenty strong...that's an old wives tale that seems to only persist in the US. The proof houses in the UK and The Continent proof 100+ year old Damascus barrels for modern loads every day of the week, and have been doing so for decades. Damascus steel is VERY strong; more than sufficient for modern loads.

The ISSUE with old guns that may or may not have Damascus barrel, isn't the technology of how the barrels were made. But what is the shape of the whole gun itself? Most any gun with Damascus barrels is over 100 years old, so the whole gun needs to be evaluated. But NOT because it has Damascus barrels.

BTW - Greener is making brand new shotguns with recovered and re-conditioned Damascus barrels. These are Damascus tubes that are re-conditioned, re-finished and put on a brand new gun. They are not "new" Damascus barrels, no one knows how to make 3-6 wire Damascus barrels anymore. The owner collected old Damascus barrels for over 25 years, and now he's making new guns with these old barrels. He couldn't do that if there was any truth to the old wives tale that Damascus is somehow "weak".

Here's one of the brand new guns with Damascus barrels: http://www.wwgreener.com/new-guns.html
“I think there’s a right-wing conspiracy to promote the idea of a left-wing conspiracy”

Shotgun shooting is completely different from handgun or rifle shooting. If you want to be even remotely competent with a shotgun, go to a sporting clays, skeet, or trap range and book just one hour with an instructor. You'll get farther in that one hour than you will in 10 years by yourself; this I can promise you. It's money well spent, and it will save you SO much in the way of headaches.
“I think there’s a right-wing conspiracy to promote the idea of a left-wing conspiracy”

Dang! Those Greener guns are amazing!

They cost a little more than I would spend on a shotgun, though. :)
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

FrontSight wrote:Shotgun shooting is completely different from handgun or rifle shooting. If you want to be even remotely competent with a shotgun, go to a sporting clays, skeet, or trap range and book just one hour with an instructor. You'll get farther in that one hour than you will in 10 years by yourself; this I can promise you. It's money well spent, and it will save you SO much in the way of headaches.
A friend and I just did that last week and it was immensely valuable. I’m looking forward to incorporating the lesson into my shooting in the future.