Re: New Member in San Francisco

Thanks for the warm welcome! And thanks for adding me to the CA Chapter forum!!

I'm a sucker for C&R Milsurp stuff - I have a Mosin M44 Carbine and Russian SKS. I also have a few modern guns - Remington 870 SPS Super Mag Turkey Predator and a Springfield XD40.

I've been shooting mostly at the Los Altos R&G Club range, and I've also been out to the Livermore-Pleasanton R&G club range twice (once for the Hunter Ed class and once to shoot).

So far I've just been plinking around, getting ready for a few hog hunts that I've taken the Mosin on, but my interests are all over the place. I haven't done it yet, but I have a longer barrel to swap onto the 870 and I'd like to try skeet or trap sometime soon. I'm also interested in 3-gun, but I don't know much about it or where to start!

And sometime in the hopefully not too distant future (depending on how long it takes the wife to fully adjust to this new hobby!), I'd like to get into precision long-range shooting. But since the Mosin and my skiils aren't suited to that kind of shooting, I have to work up to that. Next on my wish list is a Bergara Premier HMR Pro in 6.5 Creedmoor... seems like that will scratch the long-range itch... and it's also going to put a good dent in the wallet!!

Howdy from Seattle! :welcome:

I know at least one AR-owning liberal in SF who's NOT on this group, afaik (my spousal critter's niece's boyfriend), so you are not quite alone.
Marlene wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:21 pm With care and practice and GOOD AMMUNITION, your Mosin should be capable of good accuracy. You can start practicing now with what you have for that some-day precision shooting.
But that assumes it doesn't have excessive wear from cleaning stick, right? #NotAllMosins? What initial test for that would you do?
IMR4227: Zero to 900 in 0.001 seconds

I'm only killing paper and my self-esteem.

Buck13 wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:41 am But that assumes it doesn't have excessive wear from cleaning stick, right? #NotAllMosins? What initial test for that would you do?
It is pretty rare to find Mosins in the US that won’t shoot under 4”.

The best test I can think of is to get some good ammo and (if you’re a newer shooter) find someone who can reliably shoot inch groups with iron sights to test it for you.

Hell, I’ll volunteer. Most thursday evenings at San Leandro with a day or two of notice.

As to what’s good ammo available these days, I’ll leave that to the Mosin experts. I don’t have one, so I dunno what’s out there.

Thanks for the Mosin practice and accuracy tips! And thanks for the continued welcomes from all over!!

Marlene - I haven't been to San Leandro yet, so I'd be happy to catch up there sometime soon. Thanks for the offer!

I think the biggest challenge is finding good ammo. I've shot a lot of the FMJ silver tip surplus from spam cans, as well as some SP PPU and Winchester white box, but the way I understand it, none of that really qualifies as "good ammo." So far, I haven't seen any other type available locally.

In the future, I'd like to learn to do my own reloading, but that's a ways off, since I don't have a place to house a reloading setup. That seems like the best way to get good ammo.

In the meantime, I'm working on all of the mechanical upgrades that I can do to this gun. I've already put in a Finn style trigger and magazine, added a shim kit and free floated the barrel. Next up is installing a set of pillars and glass bedding the action. It might seem like a lot to do to an old cheap gun, but this is becoming my pet project!

As far as the barrel goes - although I don't have a way to measure wear, the rifling still looks decent, despite the frosting. It's not counterbored, and from what I can tell from inserting a bullet into the muzzle, it seems pretty tight compared to some that I've come across.