New from Indiana

Hello all. I'm new to this website and forum. I'm 51 from Indianapolis, IN (south east side).
Don't laugh too hard; I have never owned nor fired a gun.
I have been interested in purchasing a handgun for quite a while, but been turned off by all the right wingnut politics associated with guns.
I have absolutely zero interest in joining or dealing with the NRA.
I'm full of questions, but my first would be to ask if there are any Indiana people on here? I'm hoping you could give me advice about politics / NRA -free places to purchase a firearm for home and personal protection, and NRA-free areas to learn to use it safely.
Thanks in advance!

Re: New from Indiana

Greetings and welcome,
Well NRA free gun ranges and stores are going to be hard to find. Personally, I don't want to have a damn thing to do with the NRA. However, I really enjoy guns and shooting. I'm sure there are a bunch of people on the forum from Indy and surrounding areas that could help you purchase and learn to safely use a gun. If no one from the Indy area is available, I would be happy to meet you half way in Louisville and visit some gun stores and ranges. (I'm in Lexington) Just let me know.
Also, there are lots of nice folks on this forum that would be happy to answer any questions you have about firearms and shooting, so don't be shy about asking questions.
And again, welcome.
All religions united with government are more or less inimical to liberty. All, separated from government, are compatible with liberty.-Henry Clay
Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms.—Aristotle

Howdy from Houston! :welcome:
I'll second that last post. Don't ever be afraid to ask, no matter how silly it may sound to you. When it comes to firearms, you can never be too safe. Just a thought do a key word search on this forum, I'll bet 90% of your questions can be found in the annals of this place.
Never confuse knowledge with intelligence.

Howdy from Gettysburg. Lots of good resources here but nothing beats taking a gun safety class, even if it comes with a modicum of right wing paranoia.

And when you are faced with the decision of what hand gun to buy, hoo boy, we are here to help!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Greetings and Salutations from Carmel, Indiana!!!

As you know, I am on the outskirts of Indianapolis and enjoy many of the sights and sounds of this magnificent city. I would be honored to assist in any way, any question you may have regarding non-NRA opportunities in the city and suburbs. Feel free to PM me. Right now I tend to stay relatively low profile, since most places endorse the NRA or the clubs/conservation areas rely on them because of their insurance. But the gun range businesses like Point Blank don't care about politics or affiliations when shooting there or buying there. They are more than willing to answer any question you may have. I have been to the one on the South side of Indy and the one in Carmel. Both are friendly and want to encourage new shooters to enjoy the sport.

Dan
I disapprove of what you say, but will defend to the death your right to say it.
(Voltaire 1694 - 1778)

Thank you all. Dan, glad to see someone is nearby. I have thought about Point Blank as a good place to learn, but I didn't want to wander into a place full of NRA stuff, Don't Tread on Me flags, etc. Glad to hear they are apolitical.
I'd like a gun for two reasons. Though I live in a part of Indy with low crime, there has, unfortunately, been an increase in it during the 18 years my wife and I have lived in this house. I would like a little "insurance" here should I need it. I am also getting more into hiking around wilderness areas around me. Let's face it, people are sometimes at risk outdoors alone. Personal and home protection is what I have in mind. I think I would be very responsible as a gun owner. (No small children live in our house, either, so the chance of a tragedy is almost null.)

Point Blank will not push any NRA agenda. They have a knowledgeable staff that wants to sell guns to responsible people. They also have introductory classes so that you can learn how to shoo using a rented gun. Thay also have rental guns if you want to try a variety of weapons before you decide on a purchase.
I disapprove of what you say, but will defend to the death your right to say it.
(Voltaire 1694 - 1778)

welcome! you're going to run into NRA crap almost anywhere you go when shooting and guns are involved, but it's usually pretty easy to fly under the radar. You sound like you're probably adept at avoiding awkward, silly conversations and that's really all you need to do. And hey! Don't knock the Gadsen Flag!That's a damn good flag! It's not its fault that a bunch of right wing whack jobs are trying to appropriate it against its will!! Sounds as though Point Blank is a great place for you to start and sounds like you've got a willing confederate in Dan. Good luck! Truthfully I'm a bit jealous that your just about to shoot for the first time, you'll literally have a blast.
"we are taught to fly in the air like birds, and to swim in the water like the fishes; but how to live on the earth we don’t know.” unknown member of the Russian proletariat

Greetings from Atlanta!

I’m somewhat resigned that I can’t have clean hands in the world of gun ownership. However, I do not support the NRA as presently constituted (a position that some LGC members take issue with but hey), and I do my best to avoid putting money in their pocket.

One option, as other members may tell you, is buying used from another member, or maybe from some other legal private party.

A kind friend of a friend lent me her Beretta Tomcat for protection until I can afford something of my own. Liberal or conservative or whatever else, by and large I’ve found nearly all the gun folks I’ve met in person to be generous and not particularly interested in bringing up politics.
I’m NOT the NRA

I found this post and joined. I too am from Indianapolis area. I shot my first handgun yesterday. I am a VERY left leaning person, but was able to hit the targets surprisingly well(YouTube). I have been to several gun shops and have heard a lot of the NRA and right wing talking points. I am glad to hear about Point Blank. I will give them a try. I am almost 40 (if you couldn’t tell by my double spaces after periods(lol), but very interested in CZs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi, and welcome from NJ!
I suggest NEVER talking politics at ranges especially if they are wearing a MAGA hat. Just talk guns, and don't be afraid to ask the Range Safety Officers for guidance.
Most ranges require a training period unless you have some documentation. And they all have their own rules that you should follow.

I was really freaked out the first time I went to a range, even in NJ, by all the Trumpers. Now? I don't think about it, and focus on what I'm doing.
If they have rentals, shoot everything you think you might be interested in.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

HotheadPaisan wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:34 pm I’m somewhat resigned that I can’t have clean hands in the world of gun ownership.
Welcome from Northern Virgina! I don't have any particular hate for the NRA but they are not helping. I am not a member and don't plan to become one.

I don't think its possible to have clean hands in life. If I can just avoid the worst its good enough for me.

I try to avoid politics in general right now as far too many people can't handle disagreeing without being disagreeable.

My only advice since you haven't purchased a firearm yet is to try as many of them as possible, listen to people and take some classes. LGC does a basic pistol class.

Efelkey wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:34 pm I found this post and joined. I too am from Indianapolis area. I shot my first handgun yesterday. I am a VERY left leaning person, but was able to hit the targets surprisingly well(YouTube). I have been to several gun shops and have heard a lot of the NRA and right wing talking points. I am glad to hear about Point Blank. I will give them a try. I am almost 40 (if you couldn’t tell by my double spaces after periods(lol), but very interested in CZs.

Welcome Efelkey! Please post your own intro thread so you can get a proper greeting from everyone. :welcome:
106+ recreational uses of firearms
1 defensive use
0 people injured
0 people killed

Efelkey wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:34 pm I found this post and joined. I too am from Indianapolis area. I shot my first handgun yesterday. I am a VERY left leaning person, but was able to hit the targets surprisingly well(YouTube). I have been to several gun shops and have heard a lot of the NRA and right wing talking points. I am glad to hear about Point Blank. I will give them a try. I am almost 40 (if you couldn’t tell by my double spaces after periods(lol), but very interested in CZs.

Please start your own intro.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.