Shotgun life

Tell me about shotguns. It seems like such a simple gun especially the single or over under type. How do they age? Are old stocks with cracks worthless or useable if still solid? Is there a barrel life? What needs to be eventually replaced? Anything else?

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

Re: Shotgun life

A pump gun can last a very long time, even neglected.

An autoloader, not so much without maintenance.

Double barrels/over-unders work well but are a bit more flimsy than an autoloader, even moreso with megabuck items.

Broken wood is a sign of abuse, and may make it very unsafe to shoot. Luckily, most replacement wood is available.

Shotgun barrels don't wear out, but they get dented, rusty, or sawn off too short (<18")

An old $25 bird gun beater could be fixed up as a good home defense deal.

Subs
"Oozing charm from every pore, he oiled his way around the floor."

I have heard that some old shotguns from the late 19th century/early 20th century do not have the metallurgical strength to handle modern (smokeless) propellants. If buying used or restoring an old shotgun, take it to a qualified gunsmith to check out before firing it if you have any concerns.

DavidMS wrote:I have heard that some old shotguns from the late 19th century/early 20th century do not have the metallurgical strength.
That would be those with Damascus barrels. Shows up with a pretty swirl pattern in the steel.

They were made by twisting a bunch of iron wires around a mandrel and beating them together under white heat. When they age, the inclusions start rust, and may unravel when fired. :w00t:

Subs
"Oozing charm from every pore, he oiled his way around the floor."

sikacz wrote:Tell me about shotguns. It seems like such a simple gun especially the single or over under type. How do they age? Are old stocks with cracks worthless or useable if still solid? Is there a barrel life? What needs to be eventually replaced? Anything else?
Can you give us a hint about why you are asking? Is this something you are going to buy or was given to you? Pics? Gauge? Age and condition of this shotgun?

Cracked stocks can be repaired, but it depends on the location and extent of the damage.
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

K9s wrote:
sikacz wrote:Tell me about shotguns. It seems like such a simple gun especially the single or over under type. How do they age? Are old stocks with cracks worthless or useable if still solid? Is there a barrel life? What needs to be eventually replaced? Anything else?
Can you give us a hint about why you are asking? Is this something you are going to buy or was given to you? Pics? Gauge? Age and condition of this shotgun?

Cracked stocks can be repaired, but it depends on the location and extent of the damage.
Research. I can't find it any more, but it was a Valmet Over Under that in the description said the stock was cracked, but still solid.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

Marlene wrote:What do you want to do with it? Defense or clay birds or hunting or something else?
Clays. Just getting a feel for what to look for and know. I'll need one in the future for client relationship events. So I started looking to see what I could find for competition over under type used and new. For new I was thinking along the lines of shinzen's Redhead. Used I was just seeing what is out there and got curious about a few Valmets. Not sure if the Valmets were more field type or not or if those distinctions matter.

I rekindled my interest in shooting sports when i was invited by a friend to shoot some clays. I started out picking up a pair of 870s. Pumps will get you on the field without a large investment. If you're only going out once or twice a year that maybe good enough. I moved on to an entry level over under, Tri-Star. Over unders are much lighter than pumps or auto loaders and helped improve my score. A lighter gun also helps with fatigue. Two rounds with a pump is fine. 5 rounds made my shoulders and arms fall off.

"Client relationship" helps with the discussion. Like any sport, there is a good bit of equipment snobbery on the field. if I were buying to dip a toe into the water yet still have a gun that wouldn't be poo-pooed by club regulars, a CZ or Browning are a good starting point.

sikacz wrote:
Marlene wrote:What do you want to do with it? Defense or clay birds or hunting or something else?
Clays. Just getting a feel for what to look for and know. I'll need one in the future for client relationship events. So I started looking to see what I could find for competition over under type used and new. For new I was thinking along the lines of shinzen's Redhead. Used I was just seeing what is out there and got curious about a few Valmets. Not sure if the Valmets were more field type or not or if those distinctions matter.
Being that you're a CZ-purist, I'd go with the CZ 712. Great value for what you get.

http://cz-usa.com/product/cz-712-g2-12-gauge-26-barrel/

LGC Texas - Vice President

atxgunguy wrote:
sikacz wrote:
Being that you're a CZ-purist, I'd go with the CZ 712. Great value for what you get.

http://cz-usa.com/product/cz-712-g2-12-gauge-26-barrel/

I liked that one and was looking at thinking I could buy that one. Then I was talking with one of my old bosses who retired from the firm and has participated in some of these skeet shoots and he said I'd need an over under. So that lead me to relook at CZ over under shotguns and shinzen's old thread here on his CZ Redhead. I found this as an option and I've seen it for around $1100 to $1200, a CZ Redhead Premier Target over under 12 gauge:
http://cz-usa.com/product/cz-redhead-pr ... 0-barrels/
Then being who I am for fun I thought I'd look at used. The CZ is my heavy favorite.

You should go to a trap range with people you know and try out a few different guns to see how you shoot them. Shotguns can be a very personal thing in your life and not all of the different styles work for everybody. I can't hit a thing with a lot of them but side by sides and brake action single shots work great for me. Many of the old guns made in the smokeless era have barrels that can be harmed from steel shot. I gave up duck hunting when lead shot was banned because my hunter arms side by side was made in the 30s or even earlier. I think any gun made from the 60s on can handle steel shot, possibly even earlier.

Fitment is everything. I would definitely recommend going to a local range where you can take lessons/get coaching. I had to add a longer pad onto mine in order for the LOP to be correct.
Bear in mind also that a lightweight O/U like my Redhead Premier will have more recoil than a semi-auto. Depending on your budget, I can also recommend the Stoeger M3000- mine has been flawless, and it's inertia/recoil operated rather than having a gas system- less stuff to clean out than a semi with a gas system.

On the 30" target model, I don't think you'd be disappointed- the only reason I picked up the shorter barreled version is for hunting. In retrospect, I probably should have gone with the longer version and just use the Stoeger in the field.

Oh, and no issues (so far) with finish durability. Mine stays in the case it shipped with (which is a pretty nice plastic case with fabric socks to keep both pieces in)
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou

shinzen wrote:Fitment is everything. I would definitely recommend going to a local range where you can take lessons/get coaching. I had to add a longer pad onto mine in order for the LOP to be correct.
Bear in mind also that a lightweight O/U like my Redhead Premier will have more recoil than a semi-auto. Depending on your budget, I can also recommend the Stoeger M3000- mine has been flawless, and it's inertia/recoil operated rather than having a gas system- less stuff to clean out than a semi with a gas system.

On the 30" target model, I don't think you'd be disappointed- the only reason I picked up the shorter barreled version is for hunting. In retrospect, I probably should have gone with the longer version and just use the Stoeger in the field.

Oh, and no issues (so far) with finish durability. Mine stays in the case it shipped with (which is a pretty nice plastic case with fabric socks to keep both pieces in)
I was wondering about how to store it. Thanks for the pointers. It's pretty much going to have to be an over under.

I really wish I had had some formal training in trap shooting when I was young. Game shooting is quite different and although I have been very successful game shooting I'm terrible at trap.

Years ago when Ross Seyfreid was active as a writer credited trap shooting as part of his success in IPSC competition, he ended his practice sessions at his ranch with trap shooting.

Yo! Did someone really talk about the Shotgun Life without first asking Da Snoop?!?
IMG_2741.PNG
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

Interesting discussion. I know nothing about clays/trap shooting, but I love to shoot shotguns.
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

Proper fit of a shotgun is just as important as make and model. Target acquisition requires that your line of sight instantly fall down the barrel, lest the game get away. Shotgunningc well will make you a bette rifle & pistol shooter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I've heard a lot of places that shotgunning will improve one's rifle and pistol shooting. Can someone elaborate on that? I'm far more accomplished a shooter with rifle and pistol and I don't think I quite understand the relationship people are suggesting.

eelj wrote:Seyfried claimed that for the action discipline of IPSC It's the rapid acquisition of the bead on the moving target.
I read that too. It'll be time to practice and see.

Marlene wrote:I've heard a lot of places that shotgunning will improve one's rifle and pistol shooting. Can someone elaborate on that? I'm far more accomplished a shooter with rifle and pistol and I don't think I quite understand the relationship people are suggesting.
I'll conject that shooting moving targets with less sight equipment on the gun helps connect dots somewhere deeper in your brain than you're consciously aware of when it comes to target acquisition and aiming.