Greetings from Chicago

Greetings, LGC,

I've been lurking a bit and decided that this is the organization for me to join as I become a gun owner and 2nd amendment advocate. Please treat me kindly. :)

I live in Chicago, IL, and I've been pursuing gun ownership carefully over the past year, first applying for FOID, then taking a CCW class with my wife and getting her comfortable with firearms. I've ordered a lockbox, boresnake, and several other "essentials", and all that's left is to initiate the actual firearm purchase. I'm looking at a Smith&Wesson M&P 2.0 9mm 5" in FDE.

I'm learning a lot from the discussions here and investing personally in the sport and responsibility will help me further figure out where I stand on the 2nd amendment, but the LGC talking points resonate well with what I've come to understand about firearms in the past year.

Cheers,
Method Missing

Re: Greetings from Chicago

The main thing that nudged me from curiosity to concern was the ominous divisiveness of US politics, making me certain that if I didn’t own a firearm I would certainly regret it.

On top of that, we moved from a super safe neighborhood to one which sees a few property crimes a month, and some rare but scary home invasions and robberies. We took stock of our home defense strategy and combined that with the CCW training to conclude that we may need to use a gun to protect ourselves as a last resort if our home was invaded. We’ve also beefed up our home security and plan to do more.

Hello, Bucolic, What gun should we buy next?

I’d been thinking a shotgun would add some versatility while still being relatively affordable to own and shoot. After that, a decision between a concealable weapon and a 308 rifle. But that’s all a year or two off. I’d like to have a practical, non-defense use for all my firearms. This one is going to serve in action pistol competitions.

Thanks for the recommendations, senorgrand and bucolics. The range rules do limit my initial purchases a lot, the longest range near me is 25 yards and has pretty strict rules, so my ideas of training for 25m and 50m ISSF pistols were dashed.
Is the 10/22 suitable for marksmanship competition? I do like the takedown version for its portability, but I’d rather have something that wouldn’t hold me back.

I also looked at the CZ 75 for my first but they run a bit above my budget.

Wow! What a coincidence, I'm also in Chicago(away at Milwaukee to study at the moment) and I also joined today! It's nice to see more progressive gun owners from the windy city! :yahoo:
Have you joined the facebook group for the IL chapter of the club? Would be nice to see you there and organize a get together, there are a few others near the city I believe. Finally, welcome!

Whats with the water in Chicago all of a sudden? That all of you show up show up together... I sense a shift in The Force.
:welcome:
I agree that a pump-action shotgun is in your future. They needn't be expensive to be terribly effective for Home Defense.
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

Welcome from Utah! :welcome:
I can't believe I didn't post here already. Hopefully you'll find the discussions here to your liking, it's always good to have new people.

methodmissing wrote:I also looked at the CZ 75 for my first but they run a bit above my budget.
Make a budget for a CZ75, or any metal frame CZ. My biggest struggle is deciding if I want a 75B, a 75 SP-01, a 75SA or a RAMI next. They're great shooters and they won't be a purchase you'll regret. I can't comment on polymer frame CZs, I've never seen one in the wild and never handled one, much less shot one.

methodmissing wrote:Thanks for the recommendations, senorgrand and bucolics. The range rules do limit my initial purchases a lot, the longest range near me is 25 yards and has pretty strict rules, so my ideas of training for 25m and 50m ISSF pistols were dashed.
Is the 10/22 suitable for marksmanship competition? I do like the takedown version for its portability, but I’d rather have something that wouldn’t hold me back.

I also looked at the CZ 75 for my first but they run a bit above my budget.
A standard 10/22 costs you $200. It's an excellent gun to practice the fundamentals of rifle marksmanship, until you get good enough to shoot larger caliber rifle rounds accurately. Sign up for a Project Appleseed and learn.

https://appleseedinfo.org/schedule/?qst ... e=Illinois
Glad that federal government is boring again.

Agreed with Stiff. Along with a shotgun, everyone really needs a 10/22, even if you get bored with its accuracy and low cost to operate and end up shooting it just once a year just to blow out the cobwebs. It really is THE survival gun IMHO.
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi