Oregon Newb

Hi all -

I recently purchased my first firearm a month or so ago. It's a Springfield XD-9.

Guns are new to me, and I never really thought I would feel the need to own one, however lately I'd rather be prepared and never need it than vice versa. After purchasing the Springfield I had been feeling a little guilty about owning a gun, having to defend my position to family members as well as myself on why I should be armed and educated. Anyway, fast forward to very recently where the safety of my home/family was blatantly and significantly compromised by an unknown criminal who is still out on the streets. No surprise, I now feel 100% ok about owning a handgun. I am also considering a shotgun.

I have much to learn and may ask some newb questions now and then, but you have to start somewhere. First order of business is to take some handgun 101 and home defense classes since I am a safety freak and it's obviously really important be educated and proficient. If anyone has any favorite classes/instructors on the Oregon coast or Portland area (points if its the west side) please let me know.

Thanks and nice to meet everyone!

Re: Oregon Newb

:welcome: from Beaverton. I've unlocked the door to the Oregon sub-forum for you. :beer2:
Cynistoicureanism: The world view best expressed by "I can't trust 'em any farther then I can throw 'em, There's nothing I can do about it anyway, So let's have a drink".

methodmissing wrote:Welcome! I too feel better safe than sorry, and the focus is on Safe. Sorry about your recent scare, I hope nothing irreplaceable was lost or damaged.
Thanks for the kind words. Luckily homeowners insurance will take care of all the house stuff and nothing sentimental was lost; it's my sense of security that I'm actively working on to get back.

Sucks to be violated. I know the feeling. But it also shows (us) what kind of security we actually live in where someone walking into our house and taking what they want is a relative rarity. There are people living in neighborhoods in our own country who must accept home invasions as a semi-regular occurrence. And then there are people in other countries (with much, much less) who have armed strong-men kick in their doors and do whatever they want. All this to say that we are lucky people and it is always better to look at the bright side and realize how fortunate we really are.

As for me, I really hope I am never home the day someone walks into my house again looking for valuables to turn into drugs or whatever. I really don't want to be tested in that way. My guns are not so much for self defense but for personal skills development in target practice. I really hope I never have to be in a position to decide whether to pull a gun on another human being.

Oh, and :welcome: Glad you found us.
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

One thing I made sure to do when searching for an instructor for my CCL class was read their Facebook page and see where they are politically, if they post a bunch of political nonsense conspiracy theory crap and use terms like snowflakes and libturd I would immediately eliminate them. Of course this is totally up to you.

bmurph44 wrote:One thing I made sure to do when searching for an instructor for my CCL class was read their Facebook page and see where they are politically, if they post a bunch of political nonsense conspiracy theory crap and use terms like snowflakes and libturd I would immediately eliminate them. Of course this is totally up to you.

Ahh good call. Just looked up a potential instructor and found that he posts lots of rightwing news clips. He may certainly be an excellent instructor but maybe not the right fit for me.