I have done something silly.

I've never owned a shotgun and know next to nothing about them. By "next to nothing," I mean that I know how a shotgun shell works, more or less, and which end of the barrel to stay away from when it's going "boom". At the urging of some friends as a teenager, I shot a 12 gauge once-- once-- and immediately decided I didn't ever want to do that again. (Nobody mentioned that I'd need to hold it firmly against my shoulder, and I'm pretty sure it wasn't loaded with birdshot. Had a perfect imprint on my shoulder for about a week, which turned some lovely colors as it healed.)

Today I went to my favorite gunshop to pick up some Bear Creek, and there was a 12 gauge Mossberg 500A 18.5" in excellent condition, for not much, on the rack. I think you know what happened next. I grabbed a box of 2 3/4" #4 shells, and I'm going to figure out how this sucker works during my "Bring in the New Year Right!" range trip tomorrow. Note to self: hold firmly against shoulder!

Any tips I need to know? I already figured out how to load and unload it, so I got that covered, and I know where there's an excellent disassembly guide for when I want to take it apart.
Reunite Pangea!

Re: I have done something silly.

DavidMS wrote:The question is what will you be useing the shotgun for? Does it have a choke? If so what type? Will it allow you to run slugs?

I don't have much shotgunning experience but I have found that Hoppe's Tornado Brushes seem to work pretty well for me. I also like brass jags for pushing patches.
I don't hunt, so it's just an around-the-house defense sort of thing. Barrels are easy to swap out on this model, if I ever wanted to take up skeet shooting or some such. The current barrel is more of a "tactical" length. It will handle rifled slugs okay, not that I plan on shooting any. Mostly I guess it's just a toy.
Reunite Pangea!

Have fun that gun! I recently got hold of my mother's 500A and cleaned the rust off it. Right now I'm waiting on Amazon to send me a replacement stock for it and then I'll take it out and fire a shotgun for the first time in my life. I look forward to the bruising! :D
106+ recreational uses of firearms
1 defensive use
0 people injured
0 people killed

I literally (not figuratively) did the same thing last week. 18" barrel from the mid-80s, wood and metal. Saw it at my local shop, thought about it some over Christmas, and made it happen. Rough outside, good inside, good price. It is so f-ing cold here, but I still made it to the range twice last week. Could only handle 15 minutes shooting outside before fleeing to the warmth of my car. But all worth it, it really is a fun gun. And I feel very 80's while shooting it.

Start with some target loads to get used it it. Then try some "00" buckshot and slugs. And learn about spreads and distances and aiming with only a front sight. Shoot some clays and targets with it! Have fun. And post a photo.

Happy new year everyone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yup, start with target loads to get a feel of how the gun tends to move from the shoulders during recoil. Then try heavier loads, buckshot, slugs and stay aware if the buttstock slips up and off your shoulders you may get whacked in the face by the cheek-weld. Hold that sucker tight and lean into the shot when having "too much fun" ya know?
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

lurker wrote:i understand this silly. i have a side by side 12 ga i bought on a whim 15 yrs ago. still have most of the box of shells i got with it. didn't really want it for anything, just figured i should have one. i should probably find it a home.
I was looking at a Stoeger coach gun on the rack and it was thiiiiis close. Double-barrels are appealing to me. That's how I managed to be in a place where the Mossberg could jump out and lick my hand.
Reunite Pangea!

If you are new to shotguns, I can heartily recommend one of these recoil pads. I use the slip-on for my shotgun, and the Magpul pre-fits for the AR rifles. Shop around for best price.

https://limbsaver.com/products/trap-gri ... recoil-pad
https://limbsaver.com/collections/firea ... recoil-pad

And yes...you need to aim a shotgun. It seems that people who have never used a shotgun have a greatly exaggerated notion of the pattern spread.
"In every generation there are those who want to rule well - but they mean to rule. They promise to be good masters - but they mean to be masters." — Daniel Webster

My first range session or two with my FN P12 were pretty hard on my shoulder but now I feel much better about managing recoil. Its a fun gun to shoot. I use the slide to drive the shotgun into my shoulder when I fire it, the rearward pressure makes sure the spent cartridge cleanly ejects. It also assures that its properly seated against my shoulder pocket.

lurker wrote:i understand this silly. i have a side by side 12 ga i bought on a whim 15 yrs ago. still have most of the box of shells i got with it. didn't really want it for anything, just figured i should have one. i should probably find it a home.
It's like a 10/22 in that way- everyone should have one. :)

What kind is it? I'll bet someone here would adopt it and give it a warm home if it were to show up in The Trading Post subforum... :whistle:
"I am not a number, I am a free man!" - Number Six