New Member in Portland

Hi there, just joined up! I’m a Canadian expat living in Portland OR. Right now I own a Ruger AR556 and a Canik TP9SA. I grew up in Alberta, Canada on a ranch, where my former RCMP dad who earned his cross rifles and crowns taught me to shoot. So I’m familiar with bolt guns and shotguns, but am now just venturing into AR’s and pistols. Figured if I am going to be in the US, might as well take advantage of the different gun laws. I’m looking for a place to shoot, and people that wouldn’t mind a tag along.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: New Member in Portland

Welcome from Lexington KY. Nice rig ya got there.
All religions united with government are more or less inimical to liberty. All, separated from government, are compatible with liberty.-Henry Clay
Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms.—Aristotle

Howdy and :welcome: from Corvallis! Nice pistol, and nice rig. :)

How'd you hear about us?

There are a few places to shoot in PDX and environs. There's always the Tillamook State Forest, in designated areas. There is The Place To Shoot, an indoor range in PDX proper. There's also the Portland Gun Club, for shotgun only. There's the English Pit, just across the river in Washington, an outdoor range that allows pistols and rifles. There is also Safe Fire, near the English Pit; I've never been, but members tell me it's nice- an indoor range.

We have regular range days and meet ups, but there are a lot of local folks who shoot regularly and will be along to say hello. Check out our Oregon Forum, under LGC Local, to connect with Oregon folks and get the skinny on events. We have a Facebook presence as well, but you need to be a dues paying member for access.

Welcome, again! I'm glad you found us. :)
"I am not a number, I am a free man!" - Number Six

Welcome aboard Scott. I've taken the liberty of adding you to the secret LCG OR sub-forum. I've also greenlit your addition to the LGC Members Forum on Facebook. As Mike said there is also an LGC Oregon FB group. Apply to that and I'll unlock the door.

Man...PDX is more heavily armed than I imagined.

:yahoo:
Cynistoicureanism: The world view best expressed by "I can't trust 'em any farther then I can throw 'em, There's nothing I can do about it anyway, So let's have a drink".

JColville wrote:Welcome aboard Scott. I've taken the liberty of adding you to the secret LCG OR sub-forum. I've also greenlit your addition to the LGC Members Forum on Facebook. As Mike said there is also an LGC Oregon FB group. Apply to that and I'll unlock the door.

Member ID received. :)
"I am not a number, I am a free man!" - Number Six

Bacchus wrote:Howdy and :welcome: from Corvallis! Nice pistol, and nice rig. :)

How'd you hear about us?

There are a few places to shoot in PDX and environs. There's always the Tillamook State Forest, in designated areas. There is The Place To Shoot, an indoor range in PDX proper. There's also the Portland Gun Club, for shotgun only. There's the English Pit, just across the river in Washington, an outdoor range that allows pistols and rifles. There is also Safe Fire, near the English Pit; I've never been, but members tell me it's nice- an indoor range.

We have regular range days and meet ups, but there are a lot of local folks who shoot regularly and will be along to say hello. Check out our Oregon Forum, under LGC Local, to connect with Oregon folks and get the skinny on events. We have a Facebook presence as well, but you need to be a dues paying member for access.

Welcome, again! I'm glad you found us. :)
Thanks! Haven’t gotten a chance to use the best rig yet, got it just before I had ankle surgery, still off my feet. Got tired of firing off a mag, trudging back to the truck, fire off another one... for $60, can’t beat.
I googled gun clubs for liberals, literally how I found it.

JColville wrote:Welcome aboard Scott. I've taken the liberty of adding you to the secret LCG OR sub-forum. I've also greenlit your addition to the LGC Members Forum on Facebook. As Mike said there is also an LGC Oregon FB group. Apply to that and I'll unlock the door.

Thanks! Lots of people are fairly heavily armed here, just not the hipsters

Bang wrote:Greetings and welcome from Utah! :welcome:

So what gun will you be adding to your collection next?
Hi! Heard it’s going to be an epic snow year, hope you’re one of those folks that likes it! Not super sure what I’m going to do next, probably lay low since my wife isn’t too happy with me buying what I’ve got now.. otherwise I’d pick up a 10/22, a decent .308 or 300 win mag bolt gun and I loved my old Cooy single shot crack barrel shotgun. Couldn’t miss with that thing if I tried

FlyGuy wrote:Howdy from Houston! :welcome:

My LGS is trying to talk me into a new Canik. They are pushing it as a "Race Gun." Not sure what that means, but I assume that it runs pretty smooth.
I researched the crap out of them whilst working on convincing my wife to let me get one, and have heard nothing but good. Now to find the time to shoot the damn thing

FlyGuy wrote:Howdy from Houston! :welcome:

My LGS is trying to talk me into a new Canik. They are pushing it as a "Race Gun." Not sure what that means, but I assume that it runs pretty smooth.
Your LGS may be leading you down the path. My “race gun” is one which is a dedicated competition pistol. Typically, and in my case, that would include a red dot, compensator, trigger work, mag release, flared mag well, and every other bell and whistle you can think of to get you through the course faster. The course being 3-gun, USPSA, etc. there are different classes based on the features of your gun (open, production, limited), so a factory TP-9 might be a good candidate for a production class gun, but the extremely limited availability of after market parts might be a problem if you do want to go full “race-gun” with it.

Listen to the LGC podcast: https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/the ... 80021?mt=2

"None of us is as smart as all of us." - K. Blanchard

scottpdxcanuck wrote:
Bang wrote:Greetings and welcome from Utah! :welcome:

So what gun will you be adding to your collection next?
Hi! Heard it’s going to be an epic snow year, hope you’re one of those folks that likes it! Not super sure what I’m going to do next, probably lay low since my wife isn’t too happy with me buying what I’ve got now.. otherwise I’d pick up a 10/22, a decent .308 or 300 win mag bolt gun and I loved my old Cooy single shot crack barrel shotgun. Couldn’t miss with that thing if I tried

Very little so far. Either it's not coming or it's coming with a vengeance.

I like just about everything about snow except driving in it.