Re: Lead ammo ban reversed by new Sec. Of Interior

pokute wrote:I have 800 pounds of lead in my garage. Mostly scavenged form old radiation experiments. If you want to take my lead, you better come a-gunnin', because the only way you're gonna take it is from a hot barrel or my cold, dead hands!
Ever checked that lead with a Geiger counter? I got some cheap lead (free) from an accelerator lab once. It was all hot -- used for a beam dump. There's a reason they were giving it away...
Aim past the target.

wanzer777 wrote:
ErikO wrote:
wanzer777 wrote:
ErikO wrote:Funny how no limitations on using lead weights for fishing were ever put into place.
When every buckshot round fired puts out 10 times more lead than one weight that you'll probably be taking home with you....
have you seen the size of the weights used near me?

Big river, visible from space...

Buckshot is an oz, more or less, of lead. These things weigh pounds.
the heck are you guys fishing for? lead weights we use rarely exceed the size of a buckshot pellet. i mean if you need weights that size, you might need to bring a shotgun with you to finish off the fish.
I don't know the big ones are for, but I have bought hundreds of one-pounders at the scrap yards.
Hell is where:
The British are the chefs
The Swiss are the lovers
The French are the mechanics
The Italians make everything run on time
And the Germans are the police

I realize my earlier comments might have been interpreted as harsh or somewhat radical. I don't mean to attack anyone else or their choices, it's simply a by-product of my own examination of the wider effects of my choices. I grok that my lead use is a small part of the overall lead cycle. But that also means I'm a 'shareholder' in the entire process, just as my food choices include the damage done by industrial farming. I'm still trying to figure out how to do what I wan to do (eat and shoot) while reducing the harm to others. FWIW

https://www.epa.gov/uss-lead-superfund-site
The USS Lead Superfund site is located in East Chicago, Indiana. The site includes part of the former USS Lead facility along with nearby commercial, municipal and residential areas. The primary contaminants of concern are lead and arsenic. The USS Lead site was listed on the National Priorities List of the worst contaminated sites in the country in 2009. The Superfund site is broken into two Operable Units. The first, OU1, has been divided into three zones. These zones include a public housing complex and residential properties.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/loca ... story.html
First they noticed workers spreading mulch over bare spots on the lawns. Next they were urged by health officials to have their children screened for lead. Then they started seeing signs popping up around the neighborhood, warning them not to play in the yards.

Finally, in July, they got the letter. Lead contamination was so pervasive at the West Calumet Housing Complex in East Chicago that Mayor Anthony Copeland ordered the evacuation of its more than 1,000 residents — mostly children from low-income families — so the complex could be demolished.
http://www.indystar.com/story/news/poli ... /95204754/
EAST CHICAGO — Environmental Protection Agency officials say tests have discovered elevated levels of lead in drinking water in a Northwest Indiana city where contamination already has forced some residents to move.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mMAZpZfRXQ

What is sad is the lead issue seemed to hit the poor older neighborhoods. When it happens we can see what many of the local and state governments are doing by looking at Flint, Michigan. Do stop gap measures then ignore the problem because the people involved are poor.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

TrueTexan wrote:What is sad is the lead issue seemed to hit the poor older neighborhoods. When it happens we can see what many of the local and state governments are doing by looking at Flint, Michigan. Do stop gap measures then ignore the problem because the people involved are poor.
What matters only is the rich getting richer. If there are no longer any regs to prevent the rich from discharging lead in poor areas, that's where the lead goes. Locally, regs are either gutted or ignored by folks who make money from that very infraction.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

Someone did.

And we used to use heavy lead "sinkers" as kids for river fishing. We caught a lot of carp and some catfish - back in the day.

Since this was resurrected, I have to wonder if the lead ammo ban movement will restart in the next Dem administration?
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

Funny: The US Mint has issued proof sets and mint sets going back to the mid 1800s. One very rare proof set that was, I believe, part of the estate of the great violinist Jascha Heifetz, was completely struck in aluminum, including the gold pieces. I've only seen pictures of it, but the details on the proofs were outrageously good.

And, I believe it was in Tsarist Russia, that ersatz gold coins were made by filling them with platinum! These days, that's not as crazy as it sounded 25 years ago as platinum prices have collapsed while palladium, the cheapo step-sister of the precious metals has shot past both of them! Oh, I WISH I had bought Palladium when it was $100 to $150 / troy ounce!
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

Industry often won't change their ways until they are forced to. The oil companies fought lead free gas tooth and nail. Reagan was going to repeal regulations but the science and state showing a decrease in lead from restrictions in gas made a total ban go through. Restrictions on incandescent bulbs and fuel efficiency also spurred industry to act. If restrictions are in place we'll get cheap good lead free ammo. If not, we won't.

sig230 wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 9:34 am
lurker wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 8:33 am last night was prime time for spam. someone(s) beat me to the other 3(lionfluit), but i got this one! bye-bye, bretvillium!
That lower than whale snot spammer also showed up on several other boards I checked this morning.
it's good that he's employed in these difficult times, but that doesn't mean i don't want to hunt him down and beat some sense into him.
i'm retired. what's your excuse?

lurker wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 11:16 am
sig230 wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 9:34 am
lurker wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 8:33 am last night was prime time for spam. someone(s) beat me to the other 3(lionfluit), but i got this one! bye-bye, bretvillium!
That lower than whale snot spammer also showed up on several other boards I checked this morning.
it's good that he's employed in these difficult times, but that doesn't mean i don't want to hunt him down and beat some sense into him.
Whoever programmed these spammers probably has no idea we squash them. Good job hunting them down!
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

I think it may have been more than a distraction. The Obama administration was anti gun , not Bloomberg anti gun but still anti gun. Dr Murthy who was not confirmed as CDC head largely because of his statement that he would like to make firearm ownership as popular as smoking, as acting head authorized a study on firearm related violence. The study "Priorities for Research to Reduce Threat of Firearm Related Violence" was released with thunderous silence as it indicated that firearms were used more often defense and a person with a firearm was less likely to be injured in a confrontation with a criminal. To get back to the lead ban , I think it was put in effect to increase the price of ammo to help discourage the shooting sport. The lead shot ban for waterfowl is good. To expand it to other types of ammo had another motive and the enviromental was just cover in, my opinion. The orange one was not acting out of reasoned concern, I think , but spite. Wen are we going to get a rational discussion of issues? :cry:
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety" Ben Franklin
Beto in wisconsin