Newbie from Southern California

Okay, this all seems slightly surreal. I never would have thought to look for a liberal gun forum. I happened across the Pew Pew Tactical website, where you won't find operationally operating operators, and in reading one of their posts found out about this site.

I'm from the Pomona area of Southern California. I'm new to gun ownership as I have basically inherited from my father two rifles and a pistol. The rifles are his boyhood Winchester 60-22 and a Lee Enfield .303. The pistol is a Makarov 9mm. I attended a basic handgun class out at Bass Pro a little over a week ago, but have yet to get to a range.

Re: Newbie from Southern California

CDFingers wrote:Welcome from another Enfield owner, but from NorCal along the 40th parallel. SoCal--I understand it's tough to find a range. Do you have to drive out to the desert?

CDFingers
Well, I suppose BLM land is always an option. There are three outdoor ranges within easy driving distance - Lytle Creek near the southern end of the Cajon Pass, Angeles near Sylmar/northern end of the San Fernando Valley, and Burro Canyon which is in the mountains approximately halfway between the other two. I haven't looked into them in detail yet. I'm actually not sure if my father ever fired this Enfield, so I want to have a gunsmith look it over for corrosion and to check the headspace.

Sent from my XT1031 using Tapatalk

Howdy BariStew, :welcome:

I am visiting family here in LA, just over the hill from you in W Covina. I was invited to shoot with friends here in LA who took me to a BLM uncontrolled (free) range just south of you near Lake Mathews. I really enjoyed that open air space but imagine it could get crowded on weekends. Been to Burro Canyon and Angeles shooting range which are both nice and highly controlled but again very, very busy on weekends and a bit pricy for a cheapskate like me. I am spoiled to have a beautiful desert shooting range 10 min from my house in SE AZ.

If you like beer, I'd drive over the hill and meet you at Claremont Brewery for a pint sometime and shoot the shit. PM me.
;)
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

Bisbee wrote:Howdy BariStew, :welcome:

I am visiting family here in LA, just over the hill from you in W Covina. I was invited to shoot with friends here in LA who took me to a BLM uncontrolled (free) range just south of you near Lake Mathews. I really enjoyed that open air space but imagine it could get crowded on weekends. Been to Burro Canyon and Angeles shooting range which are both nice and highly controlled but again very, very busy on weekends and a bit pricy for a cheapskate like me. I am spoiled to have a beautiful desert shooting range 10 min from my house in SE AZ.

If you like beer, I'd drive over the hill and meet you at Claremont Brewery for a pint sometime and shoot the shit. PM me.
;)
How long are you in town? Is it a named range near Lake Matthews or just some open land?

Sent from my XT1031 using Tapatalk

That shooting range is actually just open land with a valley for a substantial back-stop. Apparently there is a formal shooting range nearby as well.

I was taken there shooting several years ago and didn't drive myself so my memory of how to get there is sketchy. However, if I were to go again, I would recognize it easily and probably could follow the sound of gunfire to the proper destination...

Here is a map that someone posted along with information of how to get to that free range of that range in Calguns:
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&g ... 2&t=h&z=16
You go down cajalco road by Lake Mathews and take Lake Mathews Drive. You go down that road about 4 miles and there will be dirt roads that lead off road. There is a private shooting range down there. But you can also shoot all back up in there without being hassled. That is were I go shooting. You can also join that private range, it costs like $150 for the first year and $100 a year each year after. But I'm to cheap to join the range.

I don't really know what kind of land this is, but I have been shooting there for 7 years with no problems. I also know a lot of other people that shoot there. There is also a private gun range back there that is pretty nice. If you would like to just join the range, go to Annies Get Your gun gun shop and ask Jerry about it. The gun store is in Corona off Sixth Street.
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi