Red dot sight for shotgun

I'm pretty much a novice when it comes to shotguns.
I noticed that when I placed a red dot reflex sight on my shotgun, I pretty much had no cheek weld at all. (Not even a chin weld) Is this pretty much a normal function? Or should at least your chin be touching the stock?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Red dot sight for shotgun

Marlene wrote:Where did you place it?
On the top Picatinny rail of my Stoeger Double Defense side by side.

If you move it forward or backwards does it make a difference ?

I had an issue with the screws being defective for the rail - Stoeger is sending me more screws and I'll give it another shot.

That's actually normal for a rail mounted red dot on a shotgun. For some shotguns, like the M3000, you can order a Burris mount that gets it much lower, which will get you the cheek weld- not sure if they are available for the SXS you have or not- they go between the stock and the action.
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou

shinzen wrote:That's actually normal for a rail mounted red dot on a shotgun. For some shotguns, like the M3000, you can order a Burris mount that gets it much lower, which will get you the cheek weld- not sure if they are available for the SXS you have or not- they go between the stock and the action.
Thanks shinzen, I thought that might be the case. Once I get the rail mounted properly I'll put the red dot back on and take it out to the range. If I can control the recoil and get consistent accuracy without a cheek weld then I'll just call it good!

spara wrote:Mount it as far forward as it suits you, eye relief isn't a major concern with red dots. Also, did the shotgun come with additional shims? That might move your drop a bit up for a cheek weld. You can also get a Beartooth comb rising kit.
Hey Folks,

My zombie huntin fun gun is just about done. Thanks again for your feedback and big shout out to Spara for turning me on to the beartooth comb riser kit. Im waiting on the one with the side saddle and will replace this generic elastic one. Then ill have the cheekweld issue solved and comence hunting down the undead!
IMG_6545.JPG
IMG_6544.JPG
IMG_6546.JPG

Marlene wrote:Any Californians here remember whether vertical front grip on a shotgun is a no-no?
Hey Marlene - thanks for bringing that up!

When I purchased the grip at a local gun shop; I let the owner know what I was going to use it for and he indicated that a vertical grip on a break-barrel shotgun wasn't illegal.
This gun is a odd duck- I believe it is the only "tactical" break barrel shotgun on the market?

johnmuir wrote:Hey Folks,

My zombie huntin fun gun is just about done. Thanks again for your feedback and big shout out to Spara for turning me on to the beartooth comb riser kit. Im waiting on the one with the side saddle and will replace this generic elastic one. Then ill have the cheekweld issue solved and comence hunting down the undead!

You have issues. Can we be friends? I'm I'm really digging your shotgun!
I don't like to think of my self as an artist so much as someone who stares at empty spaces and imagines s--t.

KlownKannon wrote:
johnmuir wrote:Hey Folks,

You have issues. Can we be friends? I'm I'm really digging your shotgun!

Right on dude!

When I was done I was like "Elmer Fudd, eat your heart out!" Lol

johnmuir wrote:I'm pretty much a novice when it comes to shotguns.
I noticed that when I placed a red dot reflex sight on my shotgun, I pretty much had no cheek weld at all. (Not even a chin weld) Is this pretty much a normal function? Or should at least your chin be touching the stock?

Thanks!

Update, I added the comb riser to achive cheekweld. Caution - this ugly ass shotgun just got uglier!

Anyone know of a range where I can shoot sone slugs outta this thing?

johnmuir wrote:

Thanks!

Update, I added the comb riser to achive cheekweld. Caution - this ugly ass shotgun just got uglier!

Anyone know of a range where I can shoot sone slugs outta this thing?
In the SF Bay Area

Dreamsinger wrote:".....comence hunting down the undead!"

Zombie's travel in packs. You must have mad reloading skills to be using a break action single tube. I'll stick to my KSG.
It's not so bad if you have power ejection...
"In every generation there are those who want to rule well - but they mean to rule. They promise to be good masters - but they mean to be masters." — Daniel Webster

Now that I have a box of parts that eventually will become a Winchester 97, I have to read about shot guns. Hopefully I will finish the project before the zombies descend from the hills, or ascend from the grave, whatevs.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

Thanks!

Hey, so I got the cheek riser kit on my shotgun and now have cheek weld in line with the red dot!

Only thing that was a little bootleg was I had to use electrical tape to fully secure the neoprene sleeve to make it tight.
When I bought it I named it "Joe Biden" due to the infamous " double barrel shotgun " remarks he made.
But I renamed it "Uncle Bernie" lol