Turnips pick to head DHS likes torture &DEA hates immigrants

President-elect Donald Trump announced Monday that his pick to head the Department of Homeland Security is John Kelly, the retired Marine General who oversaw and aggressively defended mass torture at Guantánamo Bay, who calls immigration an “existential threat” to the United States and who urges an escalated war on drugs.

In a statement that appeared to signal hardline policies to come, Kelly responded to the appointment by declaring, “The American people voted in this election to stop terrorism, take back sovereignty at our borders, and put a stop to political correctness that for too long has dictated our approach to national security.”
Meanwhile, Kelly has repeatedly signaled his hardline support for a crackdown on immigrants and an escalation of the war on drugs. “In comparison to other global threats, the near collapse of societies in the hemisphere with the associated drug and [undocumented immigrant] flow are frequently viewed to be of low importance,” Kelly told Defense One in 2014. “Many argue these threats are not existential and do not challenge our national security. I disagree.”
Kelly told the Military Times in November that he staunchly opposes the legalization and decriminalization of marijuana, stating: "The solution there is for Americans to stop using drugs. Now, you're never going to go to zero, but we've got great programs to convince Americans not to do things."

“Kelly is a big-time drug war zealot,” Michael Collins, deputy director of Drug Policy Alliance’s office of national affairs, said in a press statement. “As head of Southern Command he demonstrated that he is a true believer in the drug war, and it’s incredibly worrying that he could now head up Homeland Security.”
Kelly’s role is slated to be vast. According to DHS, the secretary oversees “efforts to counter terrorism and enhance security, secure and manage our borders while facilitating trade and travel, enforce and administer our immigration laws, safeguard and secure cyberspace, build resilience to disasters, and provide essential support for national and economic security—in coordination with federal, state, local, international and private sector partners.” Kelly is the third general to officially join Trump’s cabinet and will lead an agency that is one of the largest jailers in the U.S. government.
http://www.alternet.org/election-2016/t ... r-head-dhs

Remember on of the ten biggest lies.

Trust me I'm from the government and I'm here to help you.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

Re: Turnips pick to head DHS likes torture &DEA hates immigr

Why do they feel the Donald has a mandate?. He lost the popular vote, his spread on the electoral college vote is nothing special, and he doesn't have the greatest support in either house. He could wind up with a few failures in his selection process.
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
- Ronald Reagan

Same reason that Bush II thought he had a mandate- they take any win as meaning they should push forward with their most aggressive agenda- hell he did it in 2000 when the margins were hanging chads in FL, and in 2004 when he won with 51% of the vote. Why would a popular vote loss be of any matter in claiming a mandate? Sigh.
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou

TrueTexan wrote:Remember on[e] of the ten biggest lies.

Trust me I'm from the government and I'm here to help you.
That's a Ronald Reagan quote - he was rabidly anti-government at least in his speeches.

The second Marine general after Mattis. Not surprised that Turnip dug up a drug war zealot, it's the only drug policy the Reps know. Kelly will run in to a war with the states that have legalized marijuana, Obama should have remove MJ from the federal schedule.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan