February Postal Match - this one is easy :)

Its a Turkey Shoot!
jaycees-turkey-shoot.JPG
Turkey shoots are all over around here and vary considerably in their rules and regulations. For some odd reasons, the ones here are often put on behind bars - which frightens me to no end. Many have rules on barrel length, shell type, etc. There are no rules like that here. Your knowledge of how shotguns work may give you an upper hand. :)

Regardless, they are a lot of fun. This one is simple - there are very few rules.

You may only do this once - there is no practicing.

1. You may use any shotgun you want, and any choke.
2. You may use any ammo you want - most shoots require #7 1/2, #8 or #9. Here, its up to you.
3. Targets will be placed 25yards away and between 4.5 and 5.5 feet high.
4. There are 5 targets - you will shoot one shell at each target.

That's it. Easy, eh? :)

Ok, now the targets and the scoring:

Target 1:
http://www.targetz.com/targetzlib/10079.pdf
A traditional target with a bullseye and 5 outer rings.
All shot that breaks the bullseye gets 6 points.
Outer rings count for 5, 4, 3, 2 and 1 points.

Target 2:
http://www.targetz.com/targetzlib/10098.pdf
A 4" black dot
All shot within the black dot gets 1 point.

Target3.
http://www.targetz.com/targetzlib/10112.pdf
A 2" red square inside of a 5" white square.
All shot within the red square gets 2 points
All shot within the white square gets 1 point.

Target 4.
http://www.targetz.com/targetzlib/10117.pdf
A 1" red square inside of a 3" white square.
All shot within the red square gets 2 points.
All shot within the white squre gets 1 point.

Target 5.
http://www.theliberalgunclub.com/upload ... target.pdf
A 1/2" diameter red dot.
All shot within the red dot gets 5 points.

PRIZE!!! - First place gets a $30 gift card to Cabela's.

Submit your scores here
"The waves which dash on the shore are, one by one, broken; but yet the ocean conquers nevertheless."
- Lord Byron

Re: February Postal Match - this one is easy :)

Simmer down wrote:For some odd reasons, the ones here are often put on behind bars
Do you mean in prison or at a bistro?
HAHAHA..... oh man, that is an interesting double meaning. Usually they start off holding the events behind local drinking establishments (I am pretty sure I can't consider "Big T's Open Air Mart and Bar" a bistro); however, I get the distinct impression that they sometimes conclude in prison.
"The waves which dash on the shore are, one by one, broken; but yet the ocean conquers nevertheless."
- Lord Byron

Now I know why they're called scatterguns! I don't believe I'd ever shot a shotgun at a paper target before, outside of the rifled slugs I use for deer. I used my trusty Stevens 16 ga. SXS with some low-brass Federal #8 that I'd picked up at a yard sale back in '79 or '80, if I remember correctly. They still go BOOM!! My gun has a 26" or 28" barrel (it's 28" including chamber) and there's no indication if there's any particular choke on it. My shot was so scattered that I couldn't rightly tell where the center of my shot landed! Nevertheless, I counted all the little holes and submitted a score. I was surprised to note that the shot cup or "wad" had traveled to within 10' to 15' of the target. Ya learn somethin' new almost every day!( PS. Mark, I don't think I screwed up the scoring this time!)

Grove wrote:I think I'm gonna shoot this again (not official - just for fun ) with my J.C.Higgins bolt-action 20 ga. It's got full , or maybe imp. choke (can't remember which) and a much longer barrel. It'll be interesting to see the difference, if any.
Well, I shot my experimental Turkey Shoot and don't have any real conclusions to draw , except maybe to say that despite what folks may have assured you, size DOES matter! 1st off, I was mistaken when I thought my 20 ga. had a longer barrel. It's gotta be some optical illusion because it's in fact an 1" or 2" shorter than the SXS 16.(Some of you may shake your heads and cluck your tongues at my seeming ignorance of my own guns specifications. With the exception of a WWII-vintage revolver I recently purchased, all my guns are ones I grew up with. I know how they shoot, how to load, clean, disassemble and do minor repairs. I never felt a need to delve any deeper than that!) The 20 ga. does indeed have a full choke. I found I had some low-brass Win. #8, so, so far the parameters are pretty close. The results? I scored 101 fewer points w/ the 20 ga.! Despite the full choke (-vs- unknown choke on 16), the shot was as scattered as the 16's pattern. So I guess the fewer number of pellets in the 20 made a difference. Another side-note - I looked far and wide for the wads from the Winchester shells to no avail until I went to remove my temp. target-holder, and found 4 of the 5 a good 8' behind the targets! There was no sign of them having struck the cardboard backboard so I guess they sailed under it. No profound discoveries here, but it was fun going out and shooting again. :D

Paladin wrote:This is one that I am not to be considered in the running for. I only have about sixty rounds thourgh a shot gun
I don't know about this statement. Assuming your accuracy and technique with other guns follows to your shotgunning, I think a lot is going to boil down to your equipment and shell choice. I set out all my targets at once, taped to a pc. of cardboard nailed to a board stretched between 2 trees. They were probably spread out about 6'. Although I didn't go up and look at each target after every shot, I'm willing to bet that pellets from my 1st shot struck the 2nd target, 2nd shot hit 1st, 2nd & 3rd targets, etc.,etc. If you still got time, give it a shot! ( or rather, 5 shots.)

Grove wrote:
Grove wrote:I think I'm gonna shoot this again (not official - just for fun ) with my J.C.Higgins bolt-action 20 ga. It's got full , or maybe imp. choke (can't remember which) and a much longer barrel. It'll be interesting to see the difference, if any.
Well, I shot my experimental Turkey Shoot and don't have any real conclusions to draw , except maybe to say that despite what folks may have assured you, size DOES matter! 1st off, I was mistaken when I thought my 20 ga. had a longer barrel. It's gotta be some optical illusion because it's in fact an 1" or 2" shorter than the SXS 16.(Some of you may shake your heads and cluck your tongues at my seeming ignorance of my own guns specifications. With the exception of a WWII-vintage revolver I recently purchased, all my guns are ones I grew up with. I know how they shoot, how to load, clean, disassemble and do minor repairs. I never felt a need to delve any deeper than that!) The 20 ga. does indeed have a full choke. I found I had some low-brass Win. #8, so, so far the parameters are pretty close. The results? I scored 101 fewer points w/ the 20 ga.! Despite the full choke (-vs- unknown choke on 16), the shot was as scattered as the 16's pattern. So I guess the fewer number of pellets in the 20 made a difference. Another side-note - I looked far and wide for the wads from the Winchester shells to no avail until I went to remove my temp. target-holder, and found 4 of the 5 a good 8' behind the targets! There was no sign of them having struck the cardboard backboard so I guess they sailed under it. No profound discoveries here, but it was fun going out and shooting again. :D
I am glad you had fun with this....and you learned a little something about your guns in the process...bonus!
- Lord Byron