Maverick 88 Light

Hey all -
I'm looking to add a light to my Maverick 88. I was initially thinking of adding the Magpul MOE forend, then attaching a light to that. As I understand it, I'd need to replace the action slide as well, since the forend of the 88 is pinned. Then I learned about Streamlight's TL-Racker.

Anybody know whether I'd be able to make that work? I assume I'd still need to replace the action slide (with this, I believe https://www.opticsplanet.com/hogue-moss ... n-nut.html), but I'm pretty new to shotguns and don't want to drop the money on something I'd not be able to make work.

I'd be grateful for any ideas/advice.

Re: Maverick 88 Light

I thought of replacing the fore end on my Maverick as well, but then decided to go a different, less expensive route. I installed a Streamlight Protac on my Maverick 88.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001S0IN ... asin_title

I mounted it using an L&M light mount that easily installs on the magazine tube.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B003V0DA ... asin_title

Everything fits perfectly, but I haven’t tested it out yet at the range.

Thanks for responding!
I'd considered a mag tube-mounted light also, but felt like I saw more than a few folks who found that type of system struggled to stay put with repeated firing (recoil-related).
I'm interested to hear how it holds up after a range trip! Definitely sounds like a more affordable option if it works well.

I’ve heard the same. I’m really hoping mine stays put when I test it out. I also read somewhere that over tightening the mount on the mag tube can crimp it just enough to prevent loading a full 5 rounds (if you have a 5-round mag). I guess I’ll see how it holds up once I’m able to get to the range. Otherwise, please let us know if you decide to replace the fore end and how that works for you.

willnumber5 wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:19 am Thanks for responding!
I'd considered a mag tube-mounted light also, but felt like I saw more than a few folks who found that type of system struggled to stay put with repeated firing (recoil-related).
I'm interested to hear how it holds up after a range trip! Definitely sounds like a more affordable option if it works well.
Sorry for not getting back sooner. Today was the first time I’ve been able to go to the range to test my setup. I ran a box of 25 target loads and the light and mount stayed on and ran like champs. Due to the ammo shortage, that was the only 12 ga load I could find. I can’t find any slugs or 00 or 0000 buck anywhere. So I don’t know how the light and mount would fare under that kind of added recoil.

As for the setup itself, I definitely need to re-adjust it and practice some more. The recoil from the very first shot pushed my thumb forward hard enough along the forend so as to hit the back of the light. It was a painful jolt of a hit and happened two more times as I shot through that box. I need to move the mount up a bit more and practice holding the forend further back to avoid that. I’m guessing a forend-mounted light wouldn’t have that problem at all.

Other than that, I was pleased that the light and mount held up and stayed put, albeit with only a box of target loads.