Help with Pardner Pump?

Hiya, I acquired a cheap Mossberg knockoff called a Pardner Pump, and I know people have problems with Chinesium or whatever but I'm not interested in that. My problems stem from racking the shotgun and clearing it out too many times perhaps. I've actually had a pathetic amount of time shooting the thing. First, the little tab of metal in the chamber that pushes out shells, the ejector, is bent in from overuse. For that I have a youtube video showing how to bend it back out, no big deal. The other problem is more difficult, the feed tube doesn't load shells into the chamber. It's just stuck. Shells can't be fed, no more boom boom.

Any ideas? Your help is greatly appreciated.

Re: Help with Pardner Pump?

Kindly introduce yourself first in the new members section. And then I’ll tell you exactly how to fix your problem.
The H&R Pardner Pump is a Remington 870 clone, not a Mossberg. They are good shotguns, if quite heavy. I’ve owned two over the years, both a 20ga and a 12ga.
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

Indeed you have, Salt! Thank you. You are very kind.

Your problem lies with the metal spring on the left of the tube magazine if looking down into the bottom of the chamber. Notice that when the bolt is closed that spring is currently preventing rounds from being loaded into the magazine. That is because the top of that spring is actually being pushed into the chamber by the pump arm when the bolt is closed. This is not intended by design.

Open the bolt slightly while looking down into the chamber. Now try and push that left spring back and you’ll find it is free! Observe that while slowly closing the bolt the pump arm slowly contacts the front of that spring and keeps it back if you hold it back for a bit. That’s where it is supposed to be (by design).

In essence, when closing the bolt that pump arm is contacting that front part of the spring wrong, pushing it into the chamber and in the way of the magazine when it should actually be pushing the spring back and out of the way of the magazine allowing rounds to be inserted when bolt is fully closed.

How do you fix it? Ya have to take the gun apart and do a bit of fun smithing. Specifically get that spring out of there and start filing and polishing the engagement surface and angle so that it will always positively catch the pump arm going up to keep that spring back as originally designed. No need to polish the contact surface and angle of the pump arm itself unless you are anal retentive about your guns (like me).

Play with the pump arm a few times observing the the area pointed to in the photo below and you should see the problem and the obvious solution.
95434294-3DAF-4FA6-BAC0-8EEBAEBA3FAE.jpeg
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

If this is not your problem, describe against ain the problem and I’ll try to replicate it on my shotgun and suggest where to look for the solution on your gun.

Bisbee wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:05 am If this is not your problem, describe against ain the problem and I’ll try to replicate it on my shotgun and suggest where to look for the solution on your gun.
I’m thinking that might be the problem, certainly sounds plausible. I’m going to do a full strip and cleaning, repairing both problems at the same time. I’m not around my Pardner at the moment but I’ll let you know what I see when you do. And yes, a Remington 870 clone, I couldn’t remember.

Thank you!
Salty

Aside from these rough QC issues on assembly of their new guns, I’ve found this robust version of the proven 870 shotgun design to be quite good and reliable enough for HD, after the issues have been sorted. The thick steel receiver and overall weight of the gun may not make it an ideal candidate for lugging around while hunting but it certainly feels wonderful to shoot. The weight helps a lot in absorbing felt recoil.

It is rumored these gun receivers are made from recycled tanks...

I disassembled it, and found a bunch of gummy factory lubricant in the bolt and bolt carrier, as well as the receiver area in general. Also, I can't find the spring that you are saying is the issue, the shell latch/cartridge stop appears to be married to the receiver. I've cleaned everything and just thinking about re-lubricating and reassembling. Do you have any suggestions?

Said “shell latch cartridge spring“ is indeed removable, one in each side, from the receiver if pried on gently with a flat head screwdriver. You’ll have equally challenging time getting it back in place unless you file it down a little before installing. Both have been hit with a tool at the factory to help stay in place during final assembly. But even if they are loose they won’t go anywhere when the gun is assembled.

Bisbee, I'm stuck here. I got the whole thing disassembled but I really don't quite understand what you mean by "Specifically get that spring out of there and start filing and polishing the engagement surface and angle so that it will always positively catch the pump arm going up to keep that spring back as originally designed" I'm not surer which engagement surfaces need to be filed and polished. Will I also need a staking tool to get them back in? I have both shell latches exposed, I just haven't pulled the trigger on popping them out yet as I was unsure how to get them out, file them, and get them back in. Sorry If I'm being dense.

Edit: watching Remington 870 videos helps