Re: 870 won't cycle

Dirt, crud, mung? When was the last time it was cleaned? What do you use to clean it? Does the slide release depress at all? Did you discover this while dry-firing with snapcaps or was this on the range? Did it go back BEFORE you ran into this issue?

....TL:DR, my friend's 870 is the stuff of Gremlin legends. I have pretty much seen it all with his.
LGC Texas - Vice President

atxgunguy wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 3:11 pm Dirt, crud, mung? When was the last time it was cleaned? What do you use to clean it? Does the slide release depress at all? Did you discover this while dry-firing with snapcaps or was this on the range? Did it go back BEFORE you ran into this issue?

....TL:DR, my friend's 870 is the stuff of Gremlin legends. I have pretty much seen it all with his.
The release tab is already depressed. Cleaned it last week. It did seem not to want to cycle snap caps intermittently, but this stuck halfway thing is new.
Yet she persisted.

Did it have this problem prior to the cleaning? If not then something likely got misassembled. Suspect something to do with the tube magazine releasing the next round or the shot-shell lifter jamming things up with the moving bolt.
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

Yeah, and that tab is broken off the ejector. I'm waiting for a gunsmith to fix it. He needs to have a tool made to install the proprietary rivets. I'm thinking of selling it to get a Moss. 500 instead. The 500's ejector screws in.
Yet she persisted.

Deep13 wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:34 pm Yeah, and that tab is broken off the ejector. I'm waiting for a gunsmith to fix it. He needs to have a tool made to install the proprietary rivets. I'm thinking of selling it to get a Moss. 500 instead. The 500's ejector screws in.
How old was it?

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

My gunsmith had an installation tool made, which promptly broke right away. Soooo, it's a trip back to the factory for servicing. I'm really thinking I should sell and replace it with a Mossberg so I don't risk this hassle again.
Yet she persisted.

Remington hasn't gotten to it yet. It's a 2013 model. No warranty and round trip it will cost $50 in shipping. Ugh. I guess a broken extractor is rare, but if it happens again, I'm back to square one. It's just a little tab of metal, presumably steel, but who knows with Freedom Group.

The local shop has a used 500 combo with slug and field barrels. They also have a $90 security barrel separately. One gun to rule them all.
Yet she persisted.

Deep13 wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 5:26 pm Remington hasn't gotten to it yet. It's a 2013 model. No warranty and round trip it will cost $50 in shipping. Ugh. I guess a broken extractor is rare, but if it happens again, I'm back to square one. It's just a little tab of metal, presumably steel, but who knows with Freedom Group.

The local shop has a used 500 combo with slug and field barrels. They also have a $90 security barrel separately. One gun to rule them all.
Price?
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

Deep13 wrote:Remington hasn't gotten to it yet. It's a 2013 model. No warranty and round trip it will cost $50 in shipping. Ugh. I guess a broken extractor is rare, but if it happens again, I'm back to square one. It's just a little tab of metal, presumably steel, but who knows with Freedom Group.

That's the way I'd go personally. You might go a lifetime without having another extractor break on you, most people do, but no gun should be that damn hard to work on that you have to go to a gunsmith to replace a common part, let alone need custom built tools. In the days of being able to build Polymer80 Glocks and ARs at home with $100 worth of commonly available tools, there's just no excuse for a modern firearm to be that unserviceable to the user.