Benelli Nova experience anyone?

Hi guys!

So I'm thinking of getting a shotgun, but I don't have much experience with them (I've shot my friend's auto 12ga a few times which was fun). I talked my Girl into letting me get a new gun... the organic duck meat argument worked great against her! Show her some pictures from food network and she was hooked on the idea.

I've heard really good things about Benelli Nova 20ga pump.. Does anyone have any experience with them? I'm thinking of going 20ga for waterfowl and grouse. Any thoughts or suggestions? When looking for one what should I be especially weary of?

I'm going to hit up the usual stores/pawnshops to see what they have this weekend.

As far as online I'm looking at this one currently... maybe one of you guys know where to find a good deal?
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =203299385

Washington started adding sales tax to online purchases, and my usual FFL charges $15 flat fee for long guns. It will be Price * .095 + $15. if I buy online. If I buy retail from a different county I could save with their 7.7% sales tax, but the retail markup might be pretty bad.
"the task of Social-Democracy [revolutionary] is
to imbue the proletariat (literally: saturate the
proletariat) with the consciousness of its position and the
consciousness of its task."

Re: Benelli Nova experience anyone?

Well I've heard a some stories about blown out barrels using magnum loads. There's also a spooky pic of a blown out barrel on the net that isn't well explained - I think I'll be looking into a Mossberg 500.
"the task of Social-Democracy [revolutionary] is
to imbue the proletariat (literally: saturate the
proletariat) with the consciousness of its position and the
consciousness of its task."

I missed this one the first time around, sorry.

I have minimal experience but I have this:

http://www.impactguns.com/store/047700251004.html

Its a workhorse. If you want an affordable gun that goes boom everytime and is accurate enough that you can play then its a good choice. I am sure Mossberg 500s are similar, but I don't have any experience.

I took my Remington to Chicago and we shot a bunch with it. Then, I didn't clean it, and when mvelimir came to visit we took it to a sporting clays course and shot some more. Still no issues. Barrels are easily changed, and there are parts galore.

If you want a nicer shotgun, CZ makes some really nice ones:

http://www.impactguns.com/store/cz_shotguns.html
"The waves which dash on the shore are, one by one, broken; but yet the ocean conquers nevertheless."
- Lord Byron

I am a professional waterfowl hunting guide and have hunted 60-80 days per season over the last 17 years and hunted at least 40 days per season for many seasons before that. I have owned many, many pump shotguns over the decades. I currently shoot a Nova and i can tell you that it is the best shotgun i have ever owned. Mossberg 500s and Remington 870s, while a decent buy for the price, are not half the gun a Benelli is. My only question would be: Why not a 12g instead of a 20g? Our youth hunters do quite well with 20g, but i think you will kill a bit more and better with a 12g. Buy one.
"Endeavor to persevere."

goosekiller wrote:I am a professional waterfowl hunting guide and have hunted 60-80 days per season over the last 17 years and hunted at least 40 days per season for many seasons before that. I have owned many, many pump shotguns over the decades. I currently shoot a Nova and i can tell you that it is the best shotgun i have ever owned. Mossberg 500s and Remington 870s, while a decent buy for the price, are not half the gun a Benelli is. My only question would be: Why not a 12g instead of a 20g? Our youth hunters do quite well with 20g, but i think you will kill a bit more and better with a 12g. Buy one.

I was hoping you would chimein ;u

half the gun at half the price - seems about right. Maybe the first question should be: what is your price limit?
"The waves which dash on the shore are, one by one, broken; but yet the ocean conquers nevertheless."
- Lord Byron

AmirMortal wrote:Goose, i am not trying to razz you, but how is the nova better? I am truly curious.
It feels better, shoots better, and kills better. Mossbergs and 870s have a sloppier action - the forestock has a bit of play in it. The noise comes from the slides. That "click/clack" has cost me several turkeys and at least a couple deer over these many years. I have learned that a tighter action is a much better deal. When you compare slug barrel accuracy, there is absolutely no comparison. The Nova was well within a paper plate at 100 yards on every shot. No such luck with a Mossberg. 870s may be better than a Mossy with slugs, but all things considered, you are better off spending a few extra bucks in my opinion. I speak only what i know to be fact - no endorsements involved.
"Endeavor to persevere."