A project gone awry . . . . .

My collection lacked a door kicker, so last night I was surfing the interweb, and purchased a Mossberg Maverick 88 with a Hogue pistol grip. $145 for a HD shotgun seemed like an okay deal to me.

Anyway, I'm a wood & steel guy, so after some (perhaps too) cursory research, I bid on ebay for some nice wood furniture for a 500. I read the 500 and 88 were interchangeable, as long as I stuck to 12 GA parts. If I win the auction, it's another $40 + $10 shipping. Still okay . . . . . .

Now further research seems to indicate I'll also need a new slide tube and nut. About another $50-$75 + shipping.

If I continue with this project, I'll probably be close to what a brand new wood stock Mossberg 500 costs . . . . :ohmg:
But I'll probably see it through and consider it a teachable moment . . . . .

Any advice out there? Am I right about the 500 furniture not dropping right onto the 88? Any other parts I'll need that I'm not aware of? Are all 88 forends molded to the slide tube, or just the newer ones? It looks like mine might have a set screw holding it to the slide tube?. That would still leave me lacking a tube nut. :hmmm: There aren't a whole lot of YouTube videos out there about putting wood parts on shotguns - everything is ATI or Magpul. If I wanted to add a laser, flashlight, folding stock and turkey fryer, I'd be all set.
If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there - George Harrison
Don't go where the road don't go - Ringo Starr

Re: A project gone awry . . . . .

The Mavericks ive seen have the action bars pinned to the plastic forend. Just field strip it and look inside the forend when you get it off. Chances are there is nothing but plastic bearing on the mag tube.
So most likely you need an action tube. Just be aware they come in a couple of different lengths, so make sure you get the correct length for your furniture. Also, some older 500s had an anti rattle feature so you need to get an action tube that doesn't have that. (The IDs are larger on the anti rattle ones). Also I don't think the action tubes are supplied with the spanner nut that retains the furniture so you'll need that too.

Re: A project gone awry . . . . .

Seller says it's a 7-3/4" forend. And I verified on the Hogue website that pinned forends should be replaced by the longer slide action tube and nut. Although . . . . it seems a 6-3/4" tube with Hogue's extended adapter nut is the exact same length for a lot less money. :hmmm: I got outbid (thankfully) on the eBay auction for the wood furniture, so the project is on hold at least until I get the shotgun. For some stupid reason, the seller waited another day to ship it UPS Ground, so now it won't arrive until Monday the 25th. With my work schedule, that means I won't have it till next weekend. If I'm going to take a bath on this project, I might just consider going all out and getting a new Boyd's stock and forend - I could have the country's only $400 Maverick. And the best looking . . . . . :thumbup:

In the meantime, I'm biding my time; comforted with the knowledge that every day, there are dozens of people bubba-ing up their new shotguns with plastic - I will never lack the opportunity to buy hardly-if-ever-used wood furniture.
If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there - George Harrison
Don't go where the road don't go - Ringo Starr