So how many Right handed shotgunners are...

Reviews and discussion of shotguns.

Moderators: Inquisitor, admin, ForumModerator, WebsiteContent

Pfletch83
Been around awhile

So how many Right handed shotgunners are...

#1 Post by Pfletch83 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:05 pm

How many right handed shooters are planning on picking up a Southpaw pump shotgun?

I have one make and model in mind.

Marlene
Verified Member
Verified Member

Re: So how many Right handed shotgunners are...

#2 Post by Marlene » Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:37 am

I already have a 37?

Pfletch83
Been around awhile

#3 Post by Pfletch83 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:06 am

The M37 and BPS are great guns. I was talking more about pump shotguns that have an ejection port on the left side.

I think that more right handed shooters should be picking them up .

I've been looking at a Southpaw version of the Mossberg 590A1 and it seems to be a better hunting/defensive shotgun due to how it's set up.

Simmer down
Site Admin

#4 Post by Simmer down » Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:23 am

What benefit is there for the ejection port to be on one side or the other? As long as I'm not getting hit in the head its all the same to me.
Image Image Image
Puffing up is no substitute for smarts but it's a common home remedy

Hiker
Verified Member
Verified Member

#5 Post by Hiker » Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:24 am

Pfletch83 wrote: I've been looking at a Southpaw version of the Mossberg 590A1 and it seems to be a better hunting/defensive shotgun due to how it's set up.
So how is it set up that makes it better for a defensive shotgun for a right handed shooter? I always enjoy new ideas about things. Thanks.
All religions united with government are more or less inimical to liberty. All, separated from government, are compatible with liberty.-Henry Clay
Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms.—Aristotle

Pfletch83
Been around awhile

#6 Post by Pfletch83 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:45 am

Hiker wrote:
Pfletch83 wrote: I've been looking at a Southpaw version of the Mossberg 590A1 and it seems to be a better hunting/defensive shotgun due to how it's set up.
So how is it set up that makes it better for a defensive shotgun for a right handed shooter? I always enjoy new ideas about things. Thanks.

If you're a southpaw that shoots a right hand ejection shotgun,your vision as well as access to the chamber is unobstructed.

The same goes for a right handed shooter that uses a southpaw scatter gun.

It just maximizes the economy of movement. That also saves time.

Just watch a southpaw shooter using a right hand eject pump shotgun.

It seems like a minor thing at first until a person really sits and studies on it.

Hiker
Verified Member
Verified Member

#7 Post by Hiker » Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:29 am

Certainly an interesting idea. As soon as you get your lefty shotgun, I hope you will make a short video demonstrating these techniques. I would love to see this.
All religions united with government are more or less inimical to liberty. All, separated from government, are compatible with liberty.-Henry Clay
Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms.—Aristotle

Pfletch83
Been around awhile

#8 Post by Pfletch83 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:21 am

Actually the next time you have a chance and are out shooting with friends or family. All you need to do is run a standard side eject pump with your non-dominant hand and you'll have a better idea.

dougb
Loquacious

#9 Post by dougb » Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:18 pm

Ithaca 37 ejects down. Solves all problems, even imagined. You look over the top of most pump guns and the shells are ejected below line of sight. I rarely even notice the shells ejecting.
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
- Ronald Reagan

Pfletch83
Been around awhile

#10 Post by Pfletch83 » Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:48 am

dougb wrote:Ithaca 37 ejects down. Solves all problems, even imagined. You look over the top of most pump guns and the shells are ejected below line of sight. I rarely even notice the shells ejecting.
And I will agree that both the M37 and BPS are great shotguns as I've said before. But this thread is more about the side eject models.

AmirMortal
Carpal Tunnel

#11 Post by AmirMortal » Sat Aug 26, 2017 2:11 pm

Well I'm a lefty, but I've been considering picking up a lefty version of the M590 just for the option of loading single shells in through the ejection port. Currently it's a bit clumsy using a right handed model.
Every one you've ever met or will ever meet, knows something you don't. -Neil DeGrasse Tyson

Anti-Gravity Activist

Black Lives Matter

Pfletch83
Been around awhile

#12 Post by Pfletch83 » Sat Aug 26, 2017 2:57 pm

AmirMortal wrote:Well I'm a lefty, but I've been considering picking up a lefty version of the M590 just for the option of loading single shells in through the ejection port. Currently it's a bit clumsy using a right handed model.
I haven't heard many complaints from southpaws using right side eject shotguns.

AmirMortal
Carpal Tunnel

#13 Post by AmirMortal » Sat Aug 26, 2017 3:17 pm

Pfletch83 wrote:
AmirMortal wrote:Well I'm a lefty, but I've been considering picking up a lefty version of the M590 just for the option of loading single shells in through the ejection port. Currently it's a bit clumsy using a right handed model.
I haven't heard many complaints from southpaws using right side eject shotguns.
I have no other complaints, aside from Port loading is awkward. Aside from that the safety, slide release, etc are ideal for me on the standard Mossberg configuration. And as you pointed out, viewing the chamber is easier for a lefty with most right handed longarms, and that advantage goes double for lefties and AKs! With AKs, the lefty has a distinct advantage over righties.
Every one you've ever met or will ever meet, knows something you don't. -Neil DeGrasse Tyson

Anti-Gravity Activist

Black Lives Matter

ErikO
Carpal Tunnel

#14 Post by ErikO » Sat Aug 26, 2017 4:03 pm

Hey Amir, if you find that you like the lefty 590 better than your 590a1 I call dibs if you're going to shed it. ;)
In a bacon, egg and cheese sandwich the chicken and cow are involved while the pig is committed.