CZ Redhead Premier O/U

Reviews and discussion of shotguns.

Moderators: Inquisitor, admin, ForumModerator, WebsiteContent

Message
Author
User avatar
shinzen
Site Admin
Posts: 18952
Joined: Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:52 pm
Location: Northern California
Contact:

CZ Redhead Premier O/U

#1 Post by shinzen » Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:50 am

:yahoo: My first O/U shotgun is officially in my hands. Now I just need to get out to the range! I've been eyeing one of these for awhile now, and was debating between it, a Mossberg Silver Reserve II, or sucking it up and going for a Lightning or Citori. Couldn't bring myself to plunk down the cash for a higher end shotgun, particularly since it's also going to be my duck/pheasant gun so it will see use in the field.

The good: Seems really well made, locks up tight. These Turkish shotguns have gotten to be some pretty decent quality stuff. (Made by Huglu for CZ) I've had good luck with all my other CZ stuff, so now I've got a pistol, rifle, and shotgun made by them! The scroll work is nice, it's not as refined as the high end Browning or Benelli shotguns, but it's pretty enough. The LOP at 13.5" seems to be pretty good for me, from my measurements, it's only off by about a half inch or so for me, so not planning on any modifications in the near term.

Seems to have all the stuff you'd want- I opted for the field version, so chokes are not extended, and the barrel is 26" instead of 28". Single trigger, barrel selection seems to work fine. And it ships with a plastic hard case and comes in some velvet sleeves- I would like the case fit to be a little tighter, but it's ok for now. And for under $800? Pretty damned good deal IMO.

Of course now I'll probably have to start reloading for shotgun. Sigh.
IMG_20160320_143916882_HDR.jpg
IMG_20160320_143925871_HDR.jpg
IMG_20160320_143933226.jpg
Image

User avatar
Bucolic
Verified Member
Verified Member
Posts: 7682
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 5:51 am
Location: Southern PA.
Contact:

Re: CZ Redhead Premier O/U

#2 Post by Bucolic » Mon Mar 21, 2016 11:03 am

That is a really pretty gun! Once again, CZ value seems to shine through.
Neverthless, she persisted.

Image

User avatar
shinzen
Site Admin
Posts: 18952
Joined: Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:52 pm
Location: Northern California
Contact:

Re: CZ Redhead Premier O/U

#3 Post by shinzen » Mon Mar 21, 2016 11:27 am

Exactly my thought as well. Great value
Image

User avatar
senorgrand
Verified Member
Verified Member
Posts: 19396
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:05 am
Location: LGC MEMBER: Calif Central Coast
Contact:

Re: CZ Redhead Premier O/U

#4 Post by senorgrand » Mon Mar 21, 2016 11:41 am

Nice! I'd really like to start busting clays, but I just can't seem to find the time.

I love the sound a o/u makes when you open it. Very satisfying!
Image

Grand Poobah and Bass Player for the Conspiracy of Weenies.

User avatar
Inquisitor
Site Admin
Posts: 14598
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 7:19 pm
Location: Boston, MA
Contact:

Re: CZ Redhead Premier O/U

#5 Post by Inquisitor » Mon Mar 21, 2016 12:33 pm

shinzen wrote::yahoo: My first O/U shotgun is officially in my hands. Now I just need to get out to the range! I've been eyeing one of these for awhile now, and was debating between it, a Mossberg Silver Reserve II, or sucking it up and going for a Lightning or Citori. Couldn't bring myself to plunk down the cash for a higher end shotgun, particularly since it's also going to be my duck/pheasant gun so it will see use in the field.

The good: Seems really well made, locks up tight. These Turkish shotguns have gotten to be some pretty decent quality stuff. (Made by Huglu for CZ) I've had good luck with all my other CZ stuff, so now I've got a pistol, rifle, and shotgun made by them! The scroll work is nice, it's not as refined as the high end Browning or Benelli shotguns, but it's pretty enough. The LOP at 13.5" seems to be pretty good for me, from my measurements, it's only off by about a half inch or so for me, so not planning on any modifications in the near term.

Seems to have all the stuff you'd want- I opted for the field version, so chokes are not extended, and the barrel is 26" instead of 28". Single trigger, barrel selection seems to work fine. And it ships with a plastic hard case and comes in some velvet sleeves- I would like the case fit to be a little tighter, but it's ok for now. And for under $800? Pretty damned good deal IMO.

Of course now I'll probably have to start reloading for shotgun. Sigh.
IMG_20160320_143916882_HDR.jpg
IMG_20160320_143925871_HDR.jpg
IMG_20160320_143933226.jpg
I have a shotgun press I decided I will never use.

User avatar
shinzen
Site Admin
Posts: 18952
Joined: Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:52 pm
Location: Northern California
Contact:

Re: CZ Redhead Premier O/U

#6 Post by shinzen » Mon Mar 21, 2016 1:00 pm

Inquisitor wrote:
I have a shotgun press I decided I will never use.
Which one?
Image

User avatar
Inquisitor
Site Admin
Posts: 14598
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 7:19 pm
Location: Boston, MA
Contact:

Re: CZ Redhead Premier O/U

#7 Post by Inquisitor » Mon Mar 21, 2016 1:02 pm

No idea. Something whitey sold me. Probably a listing in trading post for it.

User avatar
shinzen
Site Admin
Posts: 18952
Joined: Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:52 pm
Location: Northern California
Contact:

Re: CZ Redhead Premier O/U

#8 Post by shinzen » Mon Mar 21, 2016 1:19 pm

Hmm. I found the thread I think, but he didn't list a 12 Gauge reloader I don't think, just 410, 20, and 28?

http://www.theliberalgunclub.com/phpBB3 ... un#p256396\

Looks like he had the 600 and the 650, but not seeing 12G
Image

User avatar
shinzen
Site Admin
Posts: 18952
Joined: Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:52 pm
Location: Northern California
Contact:

Re: CZ Redhead Premier O/U

#9 Post by shinzen » Mon Mar 21, 2016 1:27 pm

shinzen wrote:Hmm. I found the thread I think, but he didn't list a 12 Gauge reloader I don't think, just 410, 20, and 28?

http://www.theliberalgunclub.com/phpBB3 ... un#p256396\

Looks like he had the 600 and the 650, but not seeing 12G

ETA- the 650 is the progressive, the 600 is single stage.
Image

User avatar
drigeba
Loquacious
Posts: 2264
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:42 pm
Location: LGC Member SF Bay area
Contact:

Re: CZ Redhead Premier O/U

#10 Post by drigeba » Mon Mar 21, 2016 4:11 pm

shinzen wrote:
shinzen wrote:Hmm. I found the thread I think, but he didn't list a 12 Gauge reloader I don't think, just 410, 20, and 28?

http://www.theliberalgunclub.com/phpBB3 ... un#p256396\

Looks like he had the 600 and the 650, but not seeing 12G

ETA- the 650 is the progressive, the 600 is single stage.
ooh that what i want to get someday in 20 gauge..
Bleeding Heart Liberal with Second Amendment Benefits.
ImageImage

User avatar
pdoggeth
Chatty
Posts: 1747
Joined: Mon May 12, 2014 3:59 pm
Location: Bay Area, CA
Contact:

Re: CZ Redhead Premier O/U

#11 Post by pdoggeth » Mon Mar 21, 2016 7:23 pm

Pretty! Congratulations on your newest acq!

DamnYankee
Been around awhile
Posts: 230
Joined: Sat Nov 08, 2014 8:28 pm
Location: Austin Texas
Contact:

Re: CZ Redhead Premier O/U

#12 Post by DamnYankee » Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:29 am

Really like the look of the silver, blued steel, and wood together. That is a very sharp looking shotgun...

User avatar
sikacz
Verified Member
Verified Member
Posts: 14061
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:03 am
Location: LGC MEMBER: Houston
Contact:

Re: CZ Redhead Premier O/U

#13 Post by sikacz » Fri Mar 25, 2016 9:22 am

Now I know what to get for a shotgun! Go CZ!
ImageImage
"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many

User avatar
shinzen
Site Admin
Posts: 18952
Joined: Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:52 pm
Location: Northern California
Contact:

Re: CZ Redhead Premier O/U

#14 Post by shinzen » Fri Mar 25, 2016 10:29 am

Well she got her maiden voyage at the trap field on Thursday, ran perfectly. No hiccups at all. The stock, as I knew going in to it, is short for my frame so I will be adding a kick ease or something in short order- I did not shoot well, partially due to adjusting for the stock, mostly because I suck at shotgun. But that's why I got it, so I can get better

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Image

User avatar
curtism1234
Loquacious
Posts: 2315
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:31 pm
Location: St. Louis, MO
Contact:

Re: CZ Redhead Premier O/U

#15 Post by curtism1234 » Fri Mar 25, 2016 10:44 am

Did you shoot it at cardboard to see where the barrels hit?

User avatar
shinzen
Site Admin
Posts: 18952
Joined: Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:52 pm
Location: Northern California
Contact:

Re: CZ Redhead Premier O/U

#16 Post by shinzen » Fri Mar 25, 2016 10:53 am

Not yet. Only had an hour for lunch to sneak over there

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Image

User avatar
sikacz
Verified Member
Verified Member
Posts: 14061
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:03 am
Location: LGC MEMBER: Houston
Contact:

Re: CZ Redhead Premier O/U

#17 Post by sikacz » Fri Mar 25, 2016 11:30 am

Shooting clays?
ImageImage
"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many

User avatar
shinzen
Site Admin
Posts: 18952
Joined: Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:52 pm
Location: Northern California
Contact:

Re: CZ Redhead Premier O/U

#18 Post by shinzen » Fri Mar 25, 2016 11:33 am

Yep. One of the private ranges near me has two public days a week for shooting on their trap field

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Image

User avatar
sikacz
Verified Member
Verified Member
Posts: 14061
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:03 am
Location: LGC MEMBER: Houston
Contact:

Re: CZ Redhead Premier O/U

#19 Post by sikacz » Fri Mar 25, 2016 11:48 am

Well congrats! I've been pleased with all my CZ purchases old and new. :love: If your looking for .22LR I can recommend CZ. They just like to multiply. Post some more pics of the shotgun.
ImageImage
"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many

User avatar
shinzen
Site Admin
Posts: 18952
Joined: Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:52 pm
Location: Northern California
Contact:

Re: CZ Redhead Premier O/U

#20 Post by shinzen » Fri Mar 25, 2016 12:22 pm

Yeah, the only flavor of cz I don't have so far is a rimfire. But not in the immediate future- space in the safe is at a premium!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Image

User avatar
beaurrr
Carpal Tunnel
Posts: 5032
Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2012 4:56 pm
Location: Cave Junction OR
Contact:

Re: CZ Redhead Premier O/U

#21 Post by beaurrr » Fri Mar 25, 2016 12:31 pm

Nice! I've been wanting an O/U for some time. Might have to go see one of those in person.
How's the warranty?
Hell is where:
The British are the chefs
The Swiss are the lovers
The French are the mechanics
The Italians make everything run on time
And the Germans are the police

User avatar
sikacz
Verified Member
Verified Member
Posts: 14061
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:03 am
Location: LGC MEMBER: Houston
Contact:

Re: CZ Redhead Premier O/U

#22 Post by sikacz » Fri Mar 25, 2016 12:43 pm

shinzen wrote:Yeah, the only flavor of cz I don't have so far is a rimfire. But not in the immediate future- space in the safe is at a premium!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Well when you get more space! I'm thinking a safe or at least a more fireproof locked storage is in my future. Not that anything I have can't be replaced, but I am pleased with each as is.
ImageImage
"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many

User avatar
Inquisitor
Site Admin
Posts: 14598
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 7:19 pm
Location: Boston, MA
Contact:

Re: CZ Redhead Premier O/U

#23 Post by Inquisitor » Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:34 am

I need to pattern mine as well.

User avatar
drigeba
Loquacious
Posts: 2264
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:42 pm
Location: LGC Member SF Bay area
Contact:

Re: CZ Redhead Premier O/U

#24 Post by drigeba » Fri Apr 01, 2016 11:17 am

Maybe we an have a patterning session at meet in the middle. Followed by the "Turd Nugget Trap Trophy" casual meet.

:D
Bleeding Heart Liberal with Second Amendment Benefits.
ImageImage

User avatar
shinzen
Site Admin
Posts: 18952
Joined: Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:52 pm
Location: Northern California
Contact:

Re: CZ Redhead Premier O/U

#25 Post by shinzen » Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:43 pm

Well a quick update to this purchase. I've had it out every couple of weeks until this last weekend when a few of us met up for some skeet shooting at Richmond. Flawless performance until then. And then we got a little excitement. First issue was the top barrel didn't reset for the second shot, then a much more exciting double shot! On the plus side it totally vaporized that little orange devil!

So yeah. Contacted CZ yesterday and they are sending me a box/RMA to send it back to the factory. Apparently it takes 4 weeks from the time they get it until it's ready. And so I'm without a shotgun for the next month. Sigh.
Image

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest