Ok, so now what? (ErikO gets a shotgun)

So I traded the dedicated .22 upper for a Remington 887 along with some Herters defensive 12 gauge ammo. The ammo is neato, six 0 buckshot with a .65" projectile sitting on them. I figure if I have to replace wall board, might as well make it a whole sheet. ;)

It seems that all I can do with this thing is buy additional barrels at $250 a pop and tap the receiver for optics. Should keep me from spending $$$ unless I want to do some filing on the adaptor for 870 furniture.
In a bacon, egg and cheese sandwich the chicken and cow are involved while the pig is committed.

Re: Ok, so now what? (ErikO gets a shotgun)

ErikO wrote: The ammo is neato, six 0 buckshot with a .65" projectile sitting on them. I figure if I have to replace wall board, might as well make it a whole sheet. ;)
I've heard that called "buck and ball". Never shot it.

Let us know how the accuracy of the ball is, compared to say a slug. I don't imagine it's very good... Also the pattern of the buck compared to a normal buck load.

I've wondered what the idea is behind that load. "I'm planning kill it with the ball, but I'm not a very good shot, so the buckshot gives me some wiggle room." ???

It seems like, at the effective range of the buck-and-ball (not very far, because of the accuracy issue), regular buckshot would be just as effective, and more predictable.
"To initiate a war of aggression...is the supreme international crime" - Nuremberg prosecutor Robert Jackson, 1946

Elmo wrote:
ErikO wrote: The ammo is neato, six 0 buckshot with a .65" projectile sitting on them. I figure if I have to replace wall board, might as well make it a whole sheet. ;)
I've heard that called "buck and ball". Never shot it.

Let us know how the accuracy of the ball is, compared to say a slug. I don't imagine it's very good... Also the pattern of the buck compared to a normal buck load.

I've wondered what the idea is behind that load. "I'm planning kill it with the ball, but I'm not a very good shot, so the buckshot gives me some wiggle room." ???

It seems like, at the effective range of the buck-and-ball (not very far, because of the accuracy issue), regular buckshot would be just as effective, and more predictable.
00 Buckshot with an Improved choke will make a 2"-3" hole in several pieces of wallboard at 10'-15'. I am interested in seeing the patterning of these loads.

I'll probably use 3/8oz slugs going forward, but these were fairly cheap at $4.99/10 on sale at Cabela's.
In a bacon, egg and cheese sandwich the chicken and cow are involved while the pig is committed.

Simmer down wrote:That might be too much for indoor use. Is that the plan?
LOL, not in our current house. 26" barrel is far from a good thing indoors. I'm largely just interested in seeing if I am worse than JP at breaking clays. ;)

Considering that I have no real money in this it may end up getting traded off for a more interesting (to me) shotgun or else I'll drop the $250 on an 18" barrel. Another thought is to SBS this thing and then work up low-velocity rounds that would actually work for home defense using sabots through a cut down rifled barrel.