Cutting a Vent-Rib Barrel?

I was saved from making a big time mistake when I asked if I should cut the barrel of another shotgun, a Remington model 11. LGC'ers had a lot of good advice about not doing that.....so let's try this with another one.

I have an old Mossberg 500, 20 ga. with a 28'' vent-rib, fixed full choke barrel. Not a particularly pretty piece, but in great working order. It's A few scratches on the receiver, and an old concrete like recoil pad. Want to make a low-cost short barrel weapon for home or maybe a camp gun. I have it taped off at 20'' just to leave a bit of extra room JIC. Before anyone says "Why don't you buy another barrel from Mossberg?'', I have already called them. It's $80 for an 18.5'' security barrel that will take 8-12 weeks to get here. I can buy another 24'' barrel with removable chokes for $134, which would make much more sense to me.

So, as our friend John Quiñones might say: "What would YOU do?" I've got the hacksaw and file prepped and ready to go. Any reason why I shouldn't do this? Please let me know so that I don't jack anything up that I might regret. Thanks for your feedback in advance!