The Real Reason A Shotgun Is The Best For Home Defense

The main advantage of a shotgun is that no matter the political climate, a shotgun remains a “socially acceptable” firearm. They are not viewed as an evil weapon of mass destruction. In states where one can not own a standard black rifle, a shotgun is a viable alternative. Because of the years of societal familiarization with the shotgun, one can still own a shotgun and be seen as merely a sportsman, rather than a right-wing extremist bent on over-throwing the government while searching the skies for black helicopters. Having a pump action shotgun leaning in a corner is not going to send the average citizen into an apoplectic fit. Shotguns blend well into the background and are nearly invisible to the casual observer.

Here's a link to some really good info on the subject, much better than I can explain it.

http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 09&t=75701
Keep Bow Tight ~Sitting Bull
http://www.goodreads.com/quotes/90682-i ... ooks-ahead

Re: The Real Reason A Shotgun Is The Best For Home Defense

Sonofagun wrote:The main advantage of a shotgun is that no matter the political climate, a shotgun remains a “socially acceptable” firearm. They are not viewed as an evil weapon of mass destruction.
True to a point, but remember that the gun-ban mentality is driven mostly by cosmetics. I predict that old-school wood and blue steel shotguns will be OK, but those scary high capacity, assault shotguns with military style features (like pistol grips, acessory rails, and muzzle attachments) will be a target for restrictions.

MtnMan wrote: True to a point, but remember that the gun-ban mentality is driven mostly by cosmetics. I predict that old-school wood and blue steel shotguns will be OK, but those scary high capacity, assault shotguns with military style features (like pistol grips, acessory rails, and muzzle attachments) will be a target for restrictions.
Funny that the same useless junk that sells to buyers is also convincing to banners.

Fukshot wrote:
MtnMan wrote: True to a point, but remember that the gun-ban mentality is driven mostly by cosmetics. I predict that old-school wood and blue steel shotguns will be OK, but those scary high capacity, assault shotguns with military style features (like pistol grips, acessory rails, and muzzle attachments) will be a target for restrictions.
Funny that the same useless junk that sells to buyers is also convincing to banners.
Both of the above QFT
"There never was a union of church and state which did not bring serious evils to religion."
The Right Reverend John England, first Roman Catholic Bishop of Charleston SC, 1825.

The OP suggests we should buy defensive firearms based on politics.

I would suggest buying defensive firearms based on what is the best tool for the environment where the tool would be used.

Now, if what you really want to do is to defend some idea about gun ownership, then choosing a shot gun to use as example might be the best choice. There, I'd agree with the OP.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

I've heard the "grandpa's gun" argument before, that if you shoot someone with a gun that doesn't look like something your grandfather would have hung above the door, then you're going to be seen as a trigger happy nutjob who was just looking for an excuse to kill someone.

I can't say I totally disagree, as I've heard the kinds of things uneducated people say about my collection (most notably, following the Aurora shooting in Colorado). I'm a pacifist that literally wouldn't hurt a fly (when I catch bugs in my house, I let them go outside), yet some friends of the family were talking about me like I was going to be the next psychopath on the news.

My best response to them is if a military style rifle is good enough to defend our troops and defend our country, then it's good enough to defend myself and my family.

One's personal taste in firearms, and another's preconceived notions of what a "good" weapon and an "evil" weapon should look like should not factor into it any more than the color of someone's skin should be factored into it. Unfortunately, that's not exactly how our society works.

I'll actually argue that a carbine chambered for a pistol cartridge is actually superior for home defense, over a handgun, and even a shotgun, depending on circumstances. They have the same power and penetration characteristics that a handgun does, but because of the fact that you have more points of contact with the weapon, they are inherently more accurate than a handgun, given an equal amount of training. Their recoil is waaaay less than a shotgun, and is far more controllable than a handgun as there is no muzzle flip, and almost no chance of "limp wristing".

http://www.guns.com/hi-point-4595-carbine-11184.html
Every one you've ever met or will ever meet, knows something you don't. -Neil DeGrasse Tyson

Anti-Gravity Activist

Black Lives Matter

It's funny, but just yesterday my wife said that she hopes I never have to shoot anyone with my AR pistol since the papers would be unable to wrap their head around what to call it. I laughed and said they'd just call it either a Glock or an AK.

I'm strongly considering a SxS coach gun for home defense after seeing how quickly some SAAS action shooters have gotten with reloads.
In a bacon, egg and cheese sandwich the chicken and cow are involved while the pig is committed.

AmirMortal wrote:I'll actually argue that a carbine chambered for a pistol cartridge is actually superior for home defense, over a handgun, and even a shotgun, depending on circumstances.
Had a pump gun 12 gauge. Someone broke in and started crawling into the bed. Gun was under pillow. Too fucking long to aim quickly enough.
Now It's GP100 SP101 revolvers. XD is backup If I have time then I have a Lever action Marlin in .357 I can cycle it pretty well. It's also politically correct.

I'm going to seriously look at a semi auto carbine like you recommend.
Maybe one of these -

I used to have one. bought it off an ARVN. I wanted to smuggle it home but had to settle for a pistol which I could bring back as a war trophy.
How to Embed a Youtube Video - click here
If you live a long life, it is a testament to your friends' self control.
Join The LGC

Thread Killer

Fukshot wrote:
Excellent point. And sadly true.

GuitarsandGuns wrote:
AmirMortal wrote:I'll actually argue that a carbine chambered for a pistol cartridge is actually superior for home defense, over a handgun, and even a shotgun, depending on circumstances.
Had a pump gun 12 gauge. Someone broke in and started crawling into the bed. Gun was under pillow. Too fucking long to aim quickly enough.
Now It's GP100 SP101 revolvers. XD is backup If I have time then I have a Lever action Marlin in .357 I can cycle it pretty well. It's also politically correct.

I'm going to seriously look at a semi auto carbine like you recommend.
Maybe one of these -

I used to have one. bought it off an ARVN. I wanted to smuggle it home but had to settle for a pistol which I could bring back as a war trophy.
Please tell me that story has a happier ending than the one I'm left to imagine.

Sonofagun wrote:
GuitarsandGuns wrote:
Maybe one of these -

Please tell me that story has a happier ending than the one I'm left to imagine.
I thought of dissasembling it and hiding in a poneer tube reciever. Then I thought about the Brig and the possible penalty for smuggling an automatic thompson into the country and legally brought in a pistol with the proper papers.

My dad was was with Martha Raye and when they came back to the states he took my seabag which i'd not opened.

He decided to get my uniforms cleaned before I came home. When he dumped the bag on the floor, there were 2 m26 frag grenades. He called Maggie and took them to her house in Bel Aire and some 5 th Group green beanies blew them up in her swimming pool. I was pissed 'cause I didn't see it.
How to Embed a Youtube Video - click here
If you live a long life, it is a testament to your friends' self control.
Join The LGC

Thread Killer

The only modern Thompsons I know of are made by, or at least the company is owned by Kahr. I choose not to support Moonies, but that's just me. I do like the way a Thompson feels though! There are a number of great older/used ones around though. :thumbup: Really, if you get one, I'll be very jealous.
Every one you've ever met or will ever meet, knows something you don't. -Neil DeGrasse Tyson

Anti-Gravity Activist

Black Lives Matter

Before you even think about purchasing a gun, it is imperative that you are trained on how to properly use it. Remember: guns are a weapon. With the right to bear arms comes the heavy responsibility of handling them with the precaution and respect they deserve.

Moreover, a gun in the hands of man who doesn’t know what he’s doing with it is a liability to him and to his family. Regardless of what you purchase, you should frequent the firing range, take a firearms course, and attend or even partake in shooting events. All of these tasks will help you to learn to properly handle firearms.

Here's a tread from DU that argues in favor of a .410 shot gun loaded with OOO buckshot. There are three videos there. One shows a 12 gauge with 00 buck going into ballistic gel. The next shows the .410 with 000. the third is a small boy shooting the .410

http://www.democraticunderground.com/117281581

Personally I'm against long guns for PD. Mine PD gun is a Ruger GP100 in .357mag using 158gr JHP's.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

inmediasres wrote:
commandZee wrote:IMO, HD firearm choice really depends on where you live and what specific conditions you live in.
How dare you give a reasonable and measured response! What the hell do you think this is?

Personally, I always sleep better at night knowing that I have a Ma Deuce in each corner of my room providing triangulated fire at the threshold of my bedroom door.
I didn't know you lived in Somalia. GET SOME ! ! !
Don't believe everything you read on the internet.
-Abraham Lincoln

commandZee wrote:
inmediasres wrote:
commandZee wrote:IMO, HD firearm choice really depends on where you live and what specific conditions you live in.
How dare you give a reasonable and measured response! What the hell do you think this is?

Personally, I always sleep better at night knowing that I have a Ma Deuce in each corner of my room providing triangulated fire at the threshold of my bedroom door.
GET SOME...ALIA?
Eat your peppers.

inmediasres wrote:
commandZee wrote:
inmediasres wrote:

GET SOME...ALIA?
Don't believe everything you read on the internet.
-Abraham Lincoln
Attachments
Screen shot 2012-10-25 at 10.31.15 AM.jpg