Re: Shell Shortage?

CDFingers wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:45 am There has to be basements full of ammo somewhere for there to be such a shortage.

CDFingers
many, many basements. there will be some interesting estate sales in 20, 30 years. i'll be doddering or dead by then, :bananadance: you young guys and gaLs enjoy, hear?

edit: fixed typo. apparently nobody read the post and saw it. :hmm:
Last edited by lurker on Fri Jan 15, 2021 6:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
i'm retired. what's your excuse?

keenanmj85 wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:22 am Interesting discrepancy in availability on a regional basis. I wonder if that has more to do with what people are buying or where suppliers of overstocked their inventory.
Regional variations are understandable but the online picture is puzzling.
To be vintage it must be older than me!
The next gun I buy will be the next to last gun I ever buy. PROMISE!
jim

sig230 wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:11 am
keenanmj85 wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:22 am Interesting discrepancy in availability on a regional basis. I wonder if that has more to do with what people are buying or where suppliers of overstocked their inventory.
Regional variations are understandable but the online picture is puzzling.
It seems backwards to me though. Not a whole lot of use for buckshot or slugs in Montana other than personal defense, whereas on the east coast I know many states do not allow for rifle hunting, it has to be buckshot or slugs. I am thinking through whether Montana folk are loading up on defensive shells or if they just aren't sending them here, and vice versa on the other side.

I haven’t looked. Mainly because I’m not too keen on going to the range. I have a few boxes still from my last pre-Covid-19 trip. I usually picked shells up at my local Academy, but the last time I was there the ammo shelves were bare. I didn’t even remember to check for shells. LoL. I suppose I should check again.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

Local Academy had maybe a half dozen boxes of shotgun shells and all 3" buckshot. No 2¾" at all. Line of maybe 75 folk waiting for the doors to open and all straight to the firearms counter where one employee was standing next to a stack of handgun ammo. All sold out in less than 5 minutes.
To be vintage it must be older than me!
The next gun I buy will be the next to last gun I ever buy. PROMISE!
jim

sig230 wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:25 am Local Academy had maybe a half dozen boxes of shotgun shells and all 3" buckshot. No 2¾" at all. Line of maybe 75 folk waiting for the doors to open and all straight to the firearms counter where one employee was standing next to a stack of handgun ammo. All sold out in less than 5 minutes.
Last time I was at the Academy, they clerk at the counter said come Monday or Thursday mornings before the store opens. I bet there is a line twice a week. It was the same the last major shortage. I’ll skip. LoL.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

Nada here in GA.

Last panic, Walmart always had the 100 round boxes of 12GA.

Last time I went there they only had some 28GA. The one caliber I don't have

Going to be a long dry spell.
Fortuna Peratus Renumerat

Liberal Condescension or Conservative Paranoia; A hell of a way to run a democracy.

Nothing in my part of GA, either. Certainly no common shotgun rounds.

When I do see anything at all, it is about $1 or more per round for everything from 22LR to 357 Sig. Common revolver and shotgun ammo is unobtainable.

Strange brand name 22LR lead round nose for $1-2 or more per round tells me this is going to take a while to settle down.
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

this shortage seems to be worse than the last one when Obama was elected. That was when CTD was selling 22 LR for over a dollar a round.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

From what I can tell from sellers, the suppliers are producing and shipping as usual (with C19 restrictions, of course). However, they are charging more and sellers have to charge us more. Some third party sellers and stores are buying up the expensive (but legitimately priced) ammo and selling it for even higher prices due to demand.

With 22LR, this hoarding and price hike lasted for years while production continued as usual. It was an artificial shortage, but I still don't know why it all started. This hoarding/shortage could last for years because of disinformation and misinformation about the current Dem administration.
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

For shotgun ammo - start reloading. I've managed to stock up about 3,000 pre-primed shotgun hulls, found good powders - and lead shot isn't an issue.

Primers have been the hardest thing to find for reloading though... there definitely is a Primer shortage. However, they are out there... just have to keep looking. Usually they are $35 per 1,000 primers now - which is 20% more than usual.

Reloading costs me about $0.20 a round for target / clay loads.

If I do a fancy upland hunting load for small game -- using like copper shot #6 - it's about $0.42 a round. Most of the price is the type of shot used.
Attachments
C27BE8B1-00A7-41E7-A3E8-8025343A180D.png
72EA4771-D794-4D12-B826-F6D0818AE67E.jpeg