Hevishot

goosekiller wrote:
masonalannz wrote: After a bit of research online and walking the ammo isles at Bass Pro I have concluded that while you can successfully use 3" hevi shot for geese, 3.5" steel shot is just about as effective and about $.50 per round as opposed to about $2.00 per round for 3" Heavy Shot/Tungsten/Kryptonite, etc. While I would like one, most autoloaders are either 3.5" only or 2.75" and 3" only.
It is true that 3" Hevishot and 3-1/2" steel will both kill heavily feathered geese at close range. Hevishot carries inertia much farther down range as it is more dense. The steel shells you buy for 50 cents are worthless for geese over 25 yards. I cannot tell you how many times i have heard steel pellets hit geese - and they never missed a wingbeat as they flipped hunters the middle feather and flew away. Hevishot will cost closer to $3 per load(or more), yet we considered it worth the dough after doing the math. At one point i recommended it on my website and strongly urged our hunters to use it. My logic was as follows: If you went fishing on a high-dollar charter boat, would you want to use K-mart line? That is your link to the quarry - just like shotgun shells. Why would you risk a $150 morning of hunting's success by saving $10 on shells? Hunters were using four to five times more loads to drop their geese with steel anyway and many of those birds sailed hundreds of yards away before bleeding to death. Long retrieves suck for both man or beast(dawgs) and we prefer to harvest an animal as humanely as possible. For the guides that don't use dawgs, too much time is spent in the field retrieving wounded or far flung geese, thus educating the rest of the birds in the air at that time. Then we tried Black Cloud(steel with an attitude). At only $1 per shot, i am dropping geese stone dead as far as 60 yards out - and that is a conservative estimate. In one instance, those in the blind were very experienced and called it 70 yards.

So is size BB appropriate for geese?

Re: Hevishot

It is the best available at a reasonable price. It's all about the design and a pellet's ability to cut through feathers. I bought a case(250 shotshells) for $214.99 delivered to my door. I was paying almost $4 per shot for Hevi. Fuck that.
"Endeavor to persevere."

Re: Hevishot

goosekiller wrote:It is the best available at a reasonable price. It's all about the design and a pellet's ability to cut through feathers. I bought a case(250 shotshells) for $214.99 delivered to my door. I was paying almost $4 per shot for Hevi. Fuck that.
I'm gonna have to try that ammo.... I also may be headed down by you for some lunch at Harners tomorrow, along with an old friend of yours.... Maybe you could join us if you have time????? :)