Re: Electoral college count stopped by far-right "protesters"

featureless wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 12:55 pm Once they entered the building, it was no longer a protest and, precisely because it was aimed at stopping the certification of a legitimate election, was significantly different than rioters looting the local Target.
Likely a source for higher quality TP than the local Target.
To be vintage it must be older than me!
The next gun I buy will be the next to last gun I ever buy. PROMISE!
jim

Agreed, Featureless.

I am also conflicted about the police response yesterday just as I was baffled by the dull-eye’d touristy air that most of the Trump supporters displayed upon breaking into our nation’s Capitol building during session. To me it was also not just an abject failure in our nation’s security but emblematic of American institutional racism that such white privilege can brazenly display itself and succeed in disrupting our election in such a disorganized and unfocused manner.

I didn’t like seeing that, felt truly enraged yesterday watching it all unfold real time.

But today I feel glad that more cow-eyed Americans weren’t killed or bloodied in the Capitol. I am not someone that revels in violence and have an aversion to seeing blood. I don’t need to see punishment meted out in front of my eyes to feel better.

But I am worried when institutional racism unwittingly encourages those who brought pipe bombs and Molotov cocktails to our nation’s capital yesterday. Very concerned.
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

Bisbee wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 1:08 pm emblematic of American institutional racism that such white privilege can brazenly display itself and succeed in disrupting our election in such a disorganized and unfocused manner.
I agree. Unfortunately, the right is already rumbling about the unfair policing used against them while whatabouting the BLM protests (police didn't shoot them blacks!), screaming for whoever shot that white woman to be curb stomped. Yesterday's event is not in the same realm as the BLM protests. The fact that those siding with the insurrectionists don't see that is horrifying. I fear we may still have a long way to fall.

There is video of the woman shot and it is fairly clear. She was already within the building with a lot of insurgents and other LEO on her side of the door. She was attempting to enter through a broken window of barricaded interior door. I suspect she was entering one of those shelter in place locations and the LEO/suit who shot her was likely cleared to do so as the last line of defense in a fallback strategy. It was a very deliberate shot.

Twitter link (disclosure: you will see her be shot): https://twitter.com/thejaydenxander/sta ... 7899163648

Edited to add, as it's important to Bisbee's point, the reaction by the right to this shooting is that it was murder by the shooter. The woman was already inside the building and was actively breaching a barricaded area with non insurgents on the other side. She was white and there was a white mob behind her. Contrast the two attorneys (can't recall the location) man with an AR and woman with a handgun) over the summer on their porch as the BLM protest moved down the street celebrated as heroic.
Last edited by featureless on Thu Jan 07, 2021 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Likely Secret Service agent tasked with protecting an official in an enclosed space. They are not police. They are bodyguards who regularly train to put their themselves between a threat and the elected official they are tasked to protect.

They are quite simply like mama bears protecting cubs. Ain’t no way you can expect to win messing with one of those.
Last edited by Bisbee on Thu Jan 07, 2021 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

Bisbee wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 2:05 pm Secret Service agent tasked with protecting an official in an enclosed space. They are not police. They are bodyguards who regularly train to put their themselves between a threat and the elected official they are tasked to protect.

They are quite simply like mama bears protecting cubs. Ain’t no way you can expect to win messing with one of those.
Agreed. See my edit above.

Lost in yesterday's chaos.
Former presidents George W. Bush and Bill Clinton condemned the violence in the nation's capital on Wednesday — and the president who fueled it. Bush, the only living former Republican president, said he was "appalled" by the actions of some political leaders since the election and called the "mayhem" at the U.S. Capitol "a sickening and heartbreaking sight."

"This is how election results are disputed in a banana republic — not our democratic republic," the former president wrote in a statement released Wednesday evening. "I am appalled by the reckless behavior of some political leaders since the election and by the lack of respect shown today for our institutions, our traditions, and our law enforcement."

Without mentioning President Trump or other leaders by name, Bush's statement rebuked Trump's behavior since losing the November election and his incitement of the violence currently gripping the American capital. "Insurrection could do grave damage to our Nation and reputation," Bush continued. "In the United States of America, it is the fundamental responsibility of every patriotic citizen to support the rule of law. To those who are disappointed in the results of the election: Our country is more important than the politics of the moment."
Clinton, a Democrat, was much more direct in assigning blame to Trump.

"Today we faced an unprecedented assault on our Capitol, our Constitution, and our country," he said in a statement."The assault was fueled by more than four years of poison politics spreading deliberate misinformation, sowing distrust in our system, and pitting Americans against one another," Clinton wrote. "The match was lit by Donald Trump and his most ardent enablers, including many in Congress, to overturn the results of an election he lost."
https://www.npr.org/sections/congress-e ... al-leaders
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Senate Minority Leader Charles E. Schumer (D-N.Y.), who will become majority leader on Jan. 20, said Thursday that he intends to fire the Senate’s chief law enforcement officer following Wednesday’s bloody pandemonium on Capitol Hill. “If Senate Sergeant at Arms [Michael C.] Stenger hasn’t vacated the position by then, I will fire him as soon as Democrats have a majority in the Senate,” Schumer said.

In addition to other duties, the sergeant-at-arms oversees the Capitol Police, along with the House sergeant-at-arms. According to the U.S. Senate website, Stenger was sworn into his position on April 16, 2018. He previously had served as assistant sergeant-at-arms.

In other developments Thursday related to Wednesday’s security lapses, Sen. Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) praised “those front-line U.S. Capitol Police officers who stood bravely in harm’s way during yesterday’s failed insurrection.” But McConnell went on to add, “With that said, yesterday represented a massive failure of institutions, protocols, and planning that are supposed to protect the first branch of our federal government. A painstaking investigation and thorough review must now take place and significant changes must follow. Initial bipartisan discussions have already begun among committees of oversight and Congressional Leadership.”

“The ultimate blame for yesterday lies with the unhinged criminals who broke down doors, trampled our nation’s flag, fought with law enforcement, and tried to disrupt our democracy, and with those who incited them. But this fact does not and will not preclude our addressing the shocking failures in the Capitol’s security posture and protocols.”
https://www.latimes.com/politics/story/ ... tol-breach
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

featureless wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 2:06 pm
Bisbee wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 2:05 pm Secret Service agent tasked with protecting an official in an enclosed space. They are not police. They are bodyguards who regularly train to put their themselves between a threat and the elected official they are tasked to protect.

Yes, the shooter could have been part of a protection detail or maybe protecting a room full of members of congress or staff as featureless said and maybe the room couldn't be secured. We see the gun before the shooter, but did the shooter see police behind the few protesters? Don't know where it happened in the bldg, could be a secured area. If she was shot by an LEO, that's why Metro PD internal affairs is conducting the investigation of the shooting. The story will eventually come out.

highdesert wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 3:23 pm

Yes, the shooter could have been part of a protection detail or maybe protecting a room full of members of congress or staff as featureless said and maybe the room couldn't be secured. We see the gun before the shooter, but did the shooter see police behind the few protesters? Don't know where it happened in the bldg, could be a secured area. If she was shot by an LEO, that's why Metro PD internal affairs is conducting the investigation of the shooting. The story will eventually come out.
After reading the story by the journalist locked in with the congress people/aides in the other thread, I think this was very nearby. She notes she heard the gunshot. If so, the shooter was keeping the mob out of the chamber. All speculation, of course.

FUBAR. All around. Way too much manure to spread.

Capitol Police officer 'didn't have a choice' in shooting Babbitt, GOP congressman says
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/capito ... ongressman
"When they broke the glass in the back, the [police] lieutenant that was there, him and I already had multiple conversations prior to this, and he didn't have a choice at that time," Mullin told ABC News' George Stephanapoulos on "Good Morning America" Thursday.

"The mob was going to come through the door, there was a lot of members and staff that were in danger at the time. And when he [drew] his weapon, that's a decision that's very hard for anyone to make, and, once you draw your weapon like that, you have to defend yourself with deadly force."

Mullin said police "showed a lot of restraint" and "did the best they could."

"That young lady's family's lives changed and his [the officer's] life also changed," Mullin said. "But what also happened is, that mob that was trying to go through that door, they left. And his actions will be judged in a lot of different ways moving forward, but his actions I believe saved people's lives even more. Unfortunately, it did take one though."
No culpability. No realizations made in the aftermath. Those fictions that Rep. Mullins defends and propagates actually led to the death of a believer. Trumpism kills.

Too bad all these people don’t just take up gardening... so filled with BS.

featureless wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 4:41 pm
highdesert wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 3:23 pm

After reading the story by the journalist locked in with the congress people/aides in the other thread, I think this was very nearby. She notes she heard the gunshot. If so, the shooter was keeping the mob out of the chamber. All speculation, of course.

That matches up featureless with a statement by the Capitol Police Chief on the shooting.
As protesters were forcing their way toward the House Chamber where Members of Congress were sheltering in place, a sworn USCP employee discharged their service weapon, striking an adult female. Medical assistance was rendered immediately, and the female was transported to the hospital where she later succumbed to her injuries. She has been identified as Ashli Babbitt.

As per the USCP’s policy, the USCP employee has been placed on administrative leave and their police powers have been suspended pending the outcome of a joint Metropolitan Police Department (MPD) and USCP investigation.
https://www.uscp.gov/media-center/press ... ief-police

The congressional oversight committees will be busy.
https://www.uscp.gov/the-department/oversight

The Sergeant at Arms of the House has resigned and Pelosi is asking for the Capitol Police Chief to resign and earlier Schumer asked the Senate Sergeant at Arms to resign.
One Capitol Police officer is in critical condition and 15 were hospitalized after up to 60 officers were injured after a violent pro-Trump mob stormed the Capitol on Wednesday. "I'm livid about the whole thing," said Rep. Tim Ryan (D-Ohio), who added that several police were hit in the lead with lead pipes.

Ryan chairs the Appropriations subcommittee that funds the more than 2,000-member police force. The panel has opened investigations into the security failure that led to protesters supporting President Trump breaching the Capitol. That included entering the Senate chamber.

The Ohio Democrat said police were able to hold off the violent mob for an hour and fifteen minutes, but backup such as the National Guard did not arrive in time to prevent the crowds from overtaking law enforcement. Ryan said that the up to 1,500 Capitol Police present plus another 1,000 D.C. Metropolitan Police were overwhelmed by an estimated crowd of over 10,000 people. "These were violent people who were swinging lead pipes at cops," Ryan said. "They were hell-bent at bum-rushing the cops."

Police said four people at the Capitol died, including a 12-year Air Force veteran who was shot after she tried to climb through glass broken by protesters near the House chamber.

Top security officials have been under pressure by the security failure after Democratic and Republican lawmakers were left shell-shocked by the threat to their safety in a building considered to be impenetrable. Capitol Police Chief Steven Sund defended the Capitol Police’s response to Wednesday’s riots, saying the department had a “robust plan” in place ahead of the demonstrations. Democratic leaders have called for the resignation of top members of the Capitol's security team following the breach.
https://thehill.com/homenews/house/5331 ... ized-after

On one hand, I'm glad to see the politicians afraid. They should be. They're overdue a very physical reminder just who they work for. But of all motivations to give them such reminder, this absolutely wAs not the one to go to this extreme over. There was an election. Orange man lost. Deal with it. Don't approve of the incoming administration? Then by all means, hold your demonstrations, engage in noncompliance when necessary, but don't fuck with the electoral process.

It's also interesting to see how several of the Democrats supported the riots in other cities over the past year and even funded legal defence for the rioters. But the second a mob shits on their carpet and gives them a taste of the chaos other cities have been dealing with all year and now it's terrorism and a big problem. So much for "the riot is the voice of the unheard" huh?

In any case, I think Yankee Marshal hit the nail almost squarely on the head with the video he put out. For anyone who hasn't seen it:

BillyRaysMullet wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:16 am On one hand, I'm glad to see the politicians afraid. They should be. They're overdue a very physical reminder just who they work for. But of all motivations to give them such reminder, this absolutely wAs not the one to go to this extreme over. There was an election. Orange man lost. Deal with it. Don't approve of the incoming administration? Then by all means, hold your demonstrations, engage in noncompliance when necessary, but don't fuck with the electoral process.

It's also interesting to see how several of the Democrats supported the riots in other cities over the past year and even funded legal defence for the rioters. But the second a mob shits on their carpet and gives them a taste of the chaos other cities have been dealing with all year and now it's terrorism and a big problem. So much for "the riot is the voice of the unheard" huh?

In any case, I think Yankee Marshal hit the nail almost squarely on the head with the video he put out. For anyone who hasn't seen it:

The Gun Nut Community's very own Karen!
To be vintage it must be older than me!
The next gun I buy will be the next to last gun I ever buy. PROMISE!
jim

Many of the people who were in the line of succession for government were in the Capitol during the breach. If they were killed, that would have left drumpf as a monarch.

If you have signalboost on sirius, please listen to a replay of Nance on today's program. It will make you more than concerned. The depths of the attempted coup on the government is greater than we can even imagine or has been reported.

It has to have been orchestrated through drumpf and his minions.

Sirius ch 127
https://www.democraticunderground.com/100214853495

I don't have Sirius. This is from another board.

Well now. Looks like we dodged one. Looks like he won't be able to dodge one, though, being tied to the chair and all, with that paper on his chest and so on. He's pretty much trapped in the WH now. He's still dangerous. Don't let him out of the TV room.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

After Charlottesville, the internet detectives went to work identifying some of the law breakers. Thanks to the Capitol rioters exercising their "freedom" by not wearing masks, the internet detectives are at work again.
As he strolled past gold-framed portraits of past Congressional leaders, one rioter who stormed the Capitol in a pro-Trump mob on Wednesday wore a red Trump hat, a commemorative sweatshirt from the president’s inauguration and a lanyard around his neck. When a photo of him went viral, it didn’t take Internet sleuths long to realize that the lanyard held his work badge — clearly identifying him as an employee of Navistar Direct Marketing, a printing company in Frederick, Md. On Thursday, Navistar swiftly fired him.

He’s not alone among the rioters who wreaked havoc in Congress. While police and the FBI work to identify and arrest members of the mob, online detectives are also crowdsourcing information and doxing them — exposing the rioters to criminal prosecution, but also more immediate action from their bosses. Since most of the rioters stormed the Capitol maskless, online detectives had a unique opportunity to easily identify them. And many made it even easier — they live-streamed their participation and later bragged about their escapades.

Using journalists’ photos and videos, as well as live-streamed videos from rioters, untold Twitter users and Instagram accounts have been feverishly working since Wednesday to ID and name the participants who stormed the halls of the Capitol, ransacking lawmakers’ offices and occupying the House Chamber. Some, like the Instagram account @homegrownterrorists, amassed huge followings in a few hours. When posters believe they’ve identified someone, the images are updated with names and details about the person — like their social media handle, hometown or job title.

The FBI has been attempting a similar tactic. The Washington field office tweeted dozens of images of rioters on Thursday, asking the public to help identify people. Through early Thursday, police said they arrested 69 people from at least 20 states and the District for charges ranging from unlawful entry of public property, to violating curfew and assaulting a police officer. The department is also offering a $1,000 reward for tips that lead to an arrest.
Paul Davis, a Dallas-area lawyer, was fired on Thursday from his position as associate general counsel and director of human resources at Goosehead Insurance after a Twitter user posted his Instagram story, showing Davis live-streaming outside the Capitol and talking about wanting to get inside. Davis said in the video that he had been tear-gassed. Goosehead confirmed Davis’s firing on Twitter. Davis could not be reached for comment.
A Chicago real estate brokerage firm confirmed that it had fired an agent, Libby Andrews, after receiving a “tremendous amount of outreach” regarding her posts on social media about “storming the Capitol.” Andrews told the Chicago Tribune that she arrived at the Capitol after people had already broken in and didn’t realize what they were doing was illegal. “I had no idea people were breaking in and that destruction was happening,” she told the Tribune.
A teacher in Allentown, Pa., was put on temporary leave while the school district completes an investigation into his participation in the melee. Brad Rukstales, the chief executive of Cogensia, a marketing data company in Chicago, was arrested on Wednesday for his involvement in the riots. In a statement on Twitter, Cogensia said it had placed Rukstales “on leave of absence while we assess further.” Rukstales told WBBM that he was “in the wrong place at the wrong time and I regret my part in that.” “Everything that happened yesterday I think was absolutely terrible,” Rukstales said.
A lieutenant sheriff in Bexar County, Tex., who has been on leave since October as the department investigates allegations of an inappropriate relationship with an inmate, is under a second investigation after she posted multiple images of breaking into the Capitol on her Facebook account, according to KSAT. A Sanford, Fla., firefighter is also on administrative leave and under investigation after he was spotted among the mob in photographs, according to the Orlando Sentinel.
A recording on Facebook Live from Jenny Cudd, a small-business owner who in 2019 mounted a failed mayoral campaign in Midland, Tex., went viral on Twitter, amassing nearly 4 million views as of early Friday. In it, Cudd boasted about breaking into the office of House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.). “We did break down Nancy Pelosi’s office door and somebody stole her gavel, and I took a picture sitting in the chair flipping off the camera and that was on Fox News,” she said.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2 ... ed-online/

Yes!! Have been relishing reports of firings and arrest being made. Including the NY crazy from Cali that tackled the 14 YO over an Iphone. Anticipating many peoples careers and lives are about to have a major directional change and deservedly so. I know the chief fucker will never be charged, but hundreds of his trash followers will be. Irony !
"Being Republican is more than a difference of opinion - it's a character flaw." "COVID can fix STUPID!"
The greatest, most aggrieved mistake EVER made in USA was electing DJT as POTUS.

lurker wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:30 am i suppose it would have been too difficult to surround the building when they were in there and arrest them ALL as they tried to leave.
It is when you don't plan and refuse help. se my post about the Capital Police refusing help days before the Riot.
viewtopic.php?f=75&t=60158&start=250#p815813
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

What is really scary is the attitude and beliefs of the Right Wing Republicans after the riot and attempted Coup.
Poll Shows Nearly Half of GOP Voters—Lied to by Right-Wing Media—Approve of US Capitol Ransacking

A new poll released in the aftermath of Wednesday's violent coup attempt—incited by President Donald Trump and enabled by Republican lawmakers who questioned the legitimacy of President-elect Joe Biden's victory—shows that nearly half of GOP voters approve of the pro-Trump mob's storming of the U.S. Capitol, findings that observers say are inseparable from how right-wing media outlets are lying about the insurrection.

YouGov Direct conducted the survey on Wednesday night between 5:17 pm and 5:42 pm. A majority (62%) of the 1,397 registered voters who had heard about the day's events told pollsters that they consider the pro-Trump mob's actions a threat to democracy. But while 93% of Democrats and 55% of Independents perceive what happened as a threat to democracy, only 27% of Republicans see it that way.

In fact, a greater percentage of Republicans (45%) actively support the storming of the Capitol than oppose it (43%). Overall, 71% of registered voters are opposed to the coup attempt, including 96% of Democrats and 67% of Independents.

Among voters who erroneously believe that the presidential election was fraudulent enough to affect the outcome, 56% say the invasion of the halls of Congress was justified.

A majority of registered voters (55%), including 90% of Democrats and 51% of Independents, believe "a great deal of the blame" lies with Trump. Yet, in the eyes of GOP voters, President-elect Joe Biden is the biggest culprit, with 52% assigning some degree of blame to Biden compared to 28% attributing the debacle to Trump.

When it comes to removing Trump from office as a result of what happened at the Capitol—an option that is gaining support among federal lawmakers—50% of registered voters, including 83% of Democrats and 47% of Independents, are in favor. Conversely, 85% of Republicans consider immediate removal inappropriate.

Whereas roughly two-thirds to three-fourths of Democrats deemed the participants "extremists," "domestic terrorists," "criminals," and/or "anti-democratic," 50% of Republicans called them "protestors" and 30% labeled them "patriots."

Republican voters' relatively high degree of support for this week's seditious assault on democracy, progressive critics say, cannot be understood without looking at how right-wing media outlets spewed lies when covering the day's events for their viewers.

Writing in Axios, media analyst Sara Fischer reported that "the right's favored media—conservative TV, websites, and social networks—offered an alternate reality in which everyone but pro-Trump rioters were to blame for the mayhem at the Capitol." Fischer provided a breakdown of "the version of events a good chunk of America got."

"Instead of condemning the pro-Trump mobs that stormed Washington, right-wing media outlets mostly blamed left-wing activists, the media, Vice President Pence—and even police officers—for the riots that some suggested were the start of a 'civil war' in America," Fischer wrote. "Hosts on Fox News, One America News Network, and Newsmaxwent so far as to baselessly suggest that the unlawful protestors at the Capitol may have been members of Antifa."

"Even when it became obvious that the riots were becoming destructive, right-wing networks downplayed the severity of events, calling those marching on the Capitol mostly peaceful protestors," Fischer noted. "Presenters on OANN argued the riots were nothing compared to racial justice protests over the summer."

According to Fischer, "one meme that was posted to TheDonald.win, a fringe-right alternative social network, featured a cartoon of a police officer telling a Black Lives Matter protester, 'Please stop, we can work this out'—while holding a police shield, but holding a gun up against a white MAGA protestor," despite the fact that the overwhelmingly white right-wing insurrectionists were given preferential treatment compared to thebrutal repression of multiracial protests against police violence.

Shedding light on GOP voters' relatively high approval rating of this week's deadly mayhem in the nation's capital—and the complicity of hundreds of Republican lawmakers in fomenting it—Fischer reported that right-wing media outlets suggested that "rioters had no choice but to storm the Capitol in order to fight for investigations into a 'fraudulent' election."

In addition to the destructive role played by misinformation-spreading right-wing media outlets, journalist David Sirota on Thursday also pointed out that "we have long known that the far right—and specifically many Trump supporters—are hostile to democracy."

"Polling data from Monmouth University in 2019 found that about one-third of the strongest supporters of Trump scored in the highest ratings for authoritarian tendencies," Sirota wrote. "In all, Democracy Fund data show that roughly one-third of Americans 'say that an authoritarian alternative to democracy would be favorable.' That's what was on display Wednesday."

Nathan Robinson of Current Affairs on Thursday wrote that even if "the invasion of the Capitol was a farce... it should still terrify us," arguing that the history of the rise of fascism in interwar Germany holds important lessons that need to be heeded.

Alluding to Wednesday's right-wing attack on U.S. democracy, historian Mike Duncan tweeted Thursday that while "the people who raided the capitol last night ought to be punished... they are foot soldiers."

"The real threat to the republic," Duncan added, is far-right political leaders and right-wing media outlets "who have whipped up the storm."

Sociologist Samuel Farber argued in Jacobin earlier this week that the "openly authoritarian, racist, xenophobic," and anti-scientific brand of politics known as Trumpism, which is here to stay until its root causes are addressed, is "a right-wing response to the objective conditions of economic decay and a perceived moral decay."

In order to defeat the reactionary force of Trumpism, Farber wrote, it will be necessary to eliminate the conditions of intensifying inequality that fueled it. This perspective is shared by Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.), who has written that preventing "another right-wing authoritarian" even worse than Trump depends on pursuing and enacting a bold agenda that improves the lives of working-class people.
https://www.commondreams.org/news/2021/ ... us-capitol

We need to hold the media responsible for what they broadcast and print including online sites.We can blame this shift in the media on Ronnie Raygun when he destroyed the Fairness Doctrine.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

As of Thursday night, 82 people have been arrested in connection with the violent mob that overran the Capitol.

While officials are still making arrests and scouring videos and images from social media in pursuit of suspects, data released by the Washington Metropolitan Police and U.S. Capitol Police reveal the charges brought against those accused of participating in the riot.

The most common charge was for violating the curfew imposed by Washington Mayor Muriel Bowser, which took effect at 6 p.m. ET on Wednesday. More than 60 people have been arrested on suspicion of curfew violations. Another 37 were arrested on suspicion of unlawful entry. Others were charged with assault, property damage and an assortment of gun charges. Many were charged with more than one offense.
Estimates of how many people joined the insurrection vary greatly. Anywhere between 3,000 and 20,000 people participated, according to the Crowd Counting Consortium, a joint venture of the University of Connecticut and Harvard that tracks protests. Five people have died, including one woman who was shot and a U.S. Capitol police officer. More than 50 police officers were injured, according to U.S. Capitol Police. No estimates have been released for how many individuals other than police have been injured.

The number of arrests is being closely watched, with people drawing comparisons to the clashes between police and Black Lives Matter protesters last summer, which resulted in mass arrests. “We must also understand why the federal law enforcement response was much stronger at the protests over the summer than during yesterday’s attack on Congress,” Bowser said.
https://www.latimes.com/politics/story/ ... n-dc-riots

Wino wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:34 am Yes!! Have been relishing reports of firings and arrest being made. Including the NY crazy from Cali that tackled the 14 YO over an Iphone. Anticipating many peoples careers and lives are about to have a major directional change and deservedly so. I know the chief fucker will never be charged, but hundreds of his trash followers will be. Irony !
Forgot this tidbit - "Dominion Sues Sidney Powell for More Than $1.3 Billion in First Lawsuit Over Post-Election Conspiracy Theories" - got a chuckle on this one.
"Being Republican is more than a difference of opinion - it's a character flaw." "COVID can fix STUPID!"
The greatest, most aggrieved mistake EVER made in USA was electing DJT as POTUS.

Wino wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:26 pm
Wino wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:34 am Yes!! Have been relishing reports of firings and arrest being made. Including the NY crazy from Cali that tackled the 14 YO over an Iphone. Anticipating many peoples careers and lives are about to have a major directional change and deservedly so. I know the chief fucker will never be charged, but hundreds of his trash followers will be. Irony !
Forgot this tidbit - "Dominion Sues Sidney Powell for More Than $1.3 Billion in First Lawsuit Over Post-Election Conspiracy Theories" - got a chuckle on this one.
Love it, hope they win that one even though they'll never collect. IIRC they also had one lawsuit or were talking about suing Rudy Giuliani too.