Re: 140 Republicans to join Trump’s effort to overturn the election on January 6th

rolandson wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:34 pm
wings wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:11 pm
the Fonz wrote:TRUMP is exactly like MUSSOLINI .. his term should end that way
— Henry Winkler (@hwinkler4real) January 6, 2021
Context - there was a rope involved, and a gas station.
Not exactly.
Mussolini actually did make the trains run on time...and he was shot. The rope didn't come into play until he was strung up by his ankles.

And that was because the local priest in Giulino di Mezzegra (a village in Northern Italy) was getting a woody when the ladies took turns hoisting their skirts to piss on his corpse. He, the priest, also insisted that the skirt of his mistress, who was also shot, be tied so that her skirt would stay up and thus not drive him to sinful thoughts.

Trump accomplished exactly nothing except hasten the needless death of 350,000+ residents of the US.
so?
Last edited by wings on Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: 140 Republicans to join Trump’s effort to overturn the election on January 6th

highdesert wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 12:05 am
Bisbee wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 12:01 am Claps when the objection to Michigan's EC votes received no support from a Senator.
Yes, same when the objection to Georgia's electors was not sustained because no senator signed it. We'll see when it gets to Pennsylvania.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

rolandson wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:40 pm Apparently twitter has turned him off. And is threatening to ban him.
https://www.chicagotribune.com/nation-w ... story.html
Facebook also suspended Trump for 24 hours.

Trump used his dog whistle to draw his followers to DC, then riled them up at a rally at the WH and egged them on to march on the Capitol. If it was anyone else they'd be sitting in jail.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

From the health care thread a few hours before the Capital was breeched. I was going to respond to this, then the Capital fell. Seemed appropriate for this thread all of a sudden.
sikacz wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:20 am I’m not at all optimistic about us Americans, sorry if I gave you the wrong impression. Money and corruption are at the core of our society. It is also the reason we will not see healthcare reform or political reform. My optimism is that one day, the people here will either revolt, the country will collapse or change will come.
As I write this, I'm not sure how this is all going to go. I'm hoping for calm, but sika keep your fingers crossed, you may get your wish yet.

We not only need to take care of Trump and insure that he can't do anything that would cause any further problems, start war with Iran, order other military actions elsewhere, etc. Start more domestic problems. The 25 amendment would be good for that if we could get the assessing toadies in the cabinet to vote to do so. the other thing to look at is those toadies in the congress and elsewhere that are still slavishly following Trump. Some have recommended a solution for that problem in Congress.
Co-Conspirators in Sedition': Here Are the Names of Every Republican Who Voted to Overturn Election Results
"Trump and members of Congress must face consequences for inciting an attempted coup to stop the peaceful transition of power."

In the wake of an assault on the U.S. Capitol by a fascist mob ginned up by President Donald Trump, many Republicans in the House and Senate still voted Thursday to object to President-elect Joe Biden's decisive election win in a lie-fueled, last-ditch attempt to overturn the results of the democratic process and disenfranchise tens of millions of voters.

The effort ultimately failed as Congress voted in the early hours of Thursday morning to certify Biden's victory over the Republican objections, but progressive lawmakers are demanding accountability for the GOP members who were complicit in the Trump-led coup attempt.

"They are co-conspirators in sedition," Rep. Mondaire Jones (D-N.Y.) said of the Republican lawmakers who objected to the certification of Biden's win.

As Common Dreams reported Wednesday, Rep. Cori Bush (D-Mo.) is planning to introduce a resolution calling for the expulsion of lawmakers who "incited this domestic terror attack through their attempts to overturn the election."

"They have broken their sacred Oath of Office," Bush added.

In a statement late Wednesday, Brian Kettering of the Center for Popular Democracy Action said in support of Bush's resolution that "Trump and members of Congress must face consequences for inciting an attempted coup to stop the peaceful transition of power, which is enshrined into our Constitution."

"We cannot stand by," said Kettering, "while the very people elected to protect our democracy encourage violent attempts to overthrow the government."

Below are the names of the Republican lawmakers in the House and Senate who voted in favor of rejecting electoral votes from Arizona and Pennsylvania, battleground states that Biden carried.
List is at this link

https://www.commondreams.org/news/2021/ ... n-election

For the Congress Critters that have gone Rabid Trump suggest expulsion and then trial for Sedition and Rebellion Co-Conspirators. For Trump the 25th if you can get the Cabinet to go along. For those that don't remind them they could be indicted as Co-Conspirators by not supporting the 25th amendment. After Trump is politically neutered then we can try him for Sedition and lock him up. Trump can go down in history right beside Benedict Arnold and as more facts are uncovered Vidkun Quisling.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

A Majority of House Republicans Just Sided With the Mob

When Congress reconvened on Wednesday, just a few hours after a pro-Trump mob had invaded the Capitol and shut down the tallying of the Electoral College results, some Republican members of the House made a point of distancing themselves from the rioters. They issued statements calling for civility and showered praised on law enforcement. Some suggested that the right-wing goons who paraded around the building breaking windows; overturning furniture; and generally terrorizing elected officials, aides, and Capitol workers, were actually part of an antifa false-flag operation. This wasn’t what they were all about, they explained.

And then an overwhelming majority of the House Republican caucus voted to do exactly what the mob wanted. More than 120 Republican House members voted to reject Arizona’s Electoral College votes. The end game of rejecting Arizona’s electoral votes, as Trump and his allies have outlined for weeks, would be to effectively strip 3 million citizens of their say in the election and throw their votes in the trash. All because of a bunch of made-up conspiracy theories and complaints about the state’s voter registration deadline.

These Republicans didn’t have enough votes in the House to actually do this, and the corresponding push in the Senate lost 93–6. It was merely a symbolic vote—but symbolic of something deeply troubling. Far more House Republicans reject the results of the election than accept them. They believe (or pretend to—when does it stop mattering?) the election was stolen from them. “We all have some responsibility here,” House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy (R) said after the violent takeover. He voted to sustain the objection to Arizona’s results too, as did House Minority Whip Steve Scalise. This is just what the Republican Party is right now, and it’ll take a lot more than sternly worded statements and invocations of Benjamin Franklin to walk back from this ledge.
https://www.motherjones.com/2020-electi ... h-the-mob/

Expel them and then try them for Sedition.
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

This was after the Capital riot.
“Slow It Down”: Giuliani Asked GOP Senator to Object to Electoral Votes From 10 States

An hour before Congress was set to reconvene to certify the Electoral College results—as the Capitol was still recovering from a violent, pro-Trump mob—Rudy Giuliani was making phone calls.

In a voicemail that Giuliani intended for Sen. Tommy Tuberville (R-Ala.), the president’s lawyer urged Tuberville to “try to just slow it down” by objecting to electoral votes from “numerous states” in order to buy Trump’s team more time to try to overturn Joe Biden’s victory. Giuliani said that the president hoped to contest a whopping 10 states. But unfortunately for Giuliani, he called the wrong senator, and the audio was leaked to The Dispatch.

Here is the transcript:
Senator Tuberville? Or I should say Coach Tuberville. This is Rudy Giuliani, the president’s lawyer. I’m calling you because I want to discuss with you how they’re trying to rush this hearing and how we need you, our Republican friends, to try to just slow it down so we can get these legislatures to get more information to you. And I know they’re reconvening at 8 tonight, but it … the only strategy we can follow is to object to numerous states and raise issues so that we get ourselves into tomorrow—ideally until the end of tomorrow.

I know McConnell is doing everything he can to rush it, which is kind of a kick in the head because it’s one thing to oppose us, it’s another thing not to give us a fair opportunity to contest it. And he wants to try to get it down to only three states that we contest. But there are 10 states that we contest, not three. So if you could object to every state and, along with a congressman, get a hearing for every state, I know we would delay you a lot, but it would give us the opportunity to get the legislators who are very, very close to pulling their vote, particularly after what McConnell did today. It angered them, because they have written letters asking that you guys adjourn and send them back the questionable ones and they’ll fix them up.

So, this phone number, I’m available on all night, and it would be an honor to talk to you. Thank you.
This from the man who began the day at a Trump rally outside the White House by calling for “trial by combat.”
https://www.motherjones.com/2020-electi ... 10-states/

Just what a wrong phone number can bring, Rudy should be arrested and tried for Sedition.

They're entitled to exercise their rights and I have no problem with it as long as they're not part of the mob. It got testy inside the House chamber - long day and late night didn't help.
A small group of House lawmakers came close to physically fighting early Thursday morning as the congressional count of electoral votes stretched into the wee hours and a Pennsylvania Democrat charged that Republicans had been telling “lies” about his state’s votes.

Rep. Morgan Griffiths, R-Va., objected after Rep. Conor Lamb, D-Pa., said a breach of the Capitol by an angry mob earlier in the day was inspired by "the same lies you are hearing in this room tonight.” "We know that that attack today, it didn't materialize out of nowhere, it was inspired by lies, the same lies that you're hearing in this room tonight," Lamb said. "And the members that are repeating those lies should be ashamed of themselves, their constituents should be ashamed of them." Griffiths asked that Lamb's comments be stricken from the record. The Pennsylvania Democrat fired back, "The truth hurts."

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi shot down the objection and as Lamb continued to speak, Reps. Andy Harris, R-Md., and Colin Allred, D-Texas, shouted at each other from across the floor to "sit down" before confronting each other in the aisle. Colleagues from both sides cleared their benches, with around a dozen lawmakers getting close to each other and arguing. Rep. Al Lawson of Florida, Jamie Raskin of Maryland, and a senior Democratic staffer helped break up the confrontation, according to CNN's Kristin Wilson, who was in the room.

The group quickly broke up when Pelosi called for order on the floor.
https://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/na ... g/2659005/

sikacz wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:08 pm It’s pretty simple. Now is the time for all the republicans to show they are for the constitution. It’s time to end it. Do it now. Do it tonight.
Maybe now that the Congress got physically chased out by the loons, the Rs will take the problem seriously? Classic conservative lack of empathy: "It doesn't exist until it happens to me."

I'm not gonna hold my breath, though. They're reaping the whirlwind they've sown since Reagan removed the Fairness Doctrine. Prior to that, you could only get the pure rightwing heroin in the street. Prior to that, I remember being around twelve years old and going into a shop (glass cutting?) on Sante Fe Dr. in Englewood or Sheridan CO with my dad and seeing a little display of John Birch Society literature in the lobby (specifically, I recall a pamphlet with a crappy line drawing of the Beatles on the cover titled "The Marxist Minstrels"), and thinking "what is this shit?" Of course, nobody was buying it.

Getting the lunacy on the radio 24/7 made it free and easy to never again hear anything you didn't agree with, and that encouraged going even farther around the bend. The immediate success of that genre pointed the way to Fox News. Now that we have not just voters but Congress Critters themselves who can't tell spin and bullshit from reality, having grown up knowing nothing else, how do the Rs put that genie back in the bottle?
IMR4227: Zero to 900 in 0.001 seconds

I'm only killing paper and my self-esteem.

sig230 wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 10:45 am
TrueTexan wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 10:41 am Expel them and then try them for Sedition.
Sometimes math is a bitch. IIRC it takes a 2/3rds majority to expel them.
There is no OLC opinion protecting members of Congress from being arrested, indicted, tried, convicted, and imprisoned. I don't want Merrick Garland to hunt them down because they are Republicans, or anti-Biden, but, because if they took actions that violate the laws against sedition, insurrection, and interfering in elections, they should be indicted and tried. Usually, when a member of either House is convicted, if they don't resign, they may get expelled.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

YankeeTarheel wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 11:28 am I don't want Merrick Garland to hunt them down because they are Republicans, or anti-Biden, but, because if they took actions that violate the laws against sedition, insurrection, and interfering in elections, they should be indicted and tried.
One hundred times this.

Again, Biden needs to drop the weak sauce "looking forward, not backward" crap from the Obama playbook and have DOJ work all the angles against all the perps. This is not party politics. It's defending the fucking operation of the government and Constitution.
IMR4227: Zero to 900 in 0.001 seconds

I'm only killing paper and my self-esteem.

Buck13 wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 11:16 am
sikacz wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:08 pm It’s pretty simple. Now is the time for all the republicans to show they are for the constitution. It’s time to end it. Do it now. Do it tonight.
Maybe now that the Congress got physically chased out by the loons, the Rs will take the problem seriously? Classic conservative lack of empathy: "It doesn't exist until it happens to me."

I'm not gonna hold my breath, though. They're reaping the whirlwind they've sown since Reagan removed the Fairness Doctrine. Prior to that, you could only get the pure rightwing heroin in the street. Prior to that, I remember being around twelve years old and going into a shop (glass cutting?) on Sante Fe Dr. in Englewood or Sheridan CO with my dad and seeing a little display of John Birch Society literature in the lobby (specifically, I recall a pamphlet with a crappy line drawing of the Beatles on the cover titled "The Marxist Minstrels"), and thinking "what is this shit?" Of course, nobody was buying it.

Getting the lunacy on the radio 24/7 made it free and easy to never again hear anything you didn't agree with, and that encouraged going even farther around the bend. The immediate success of that genre pointed the way to Fox News. Now that we have not just voters but Congress Critters themselves who can't tell spin and bullshit from reality, having grown up knowing nothing else, how do the Rs put that genie back in the bottle?
True. Simple doesn’t mean it’ll get done either. Not holding my breath. In all likelihood they’ll let the bloviating occupant remain. I’m skeptical the houses have the backbone to go after the cabinet and all involved after. I suspect they’ll prosecute some of the protesters.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

Nationwide impeached momentum is building.
(Illinois Gov.) Pritzker asks Congress to impeach Trump after DC riots
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/poli ... r-dc-riots
“Because of today’s events incited by the President, I had to ask the Illinois State Police and other law enforcement resources, engaged in important life-saving missions, to redeploy to heighten their presence at government buildings and the Capitol in Springfield," the governor said.

Pritzker said Trump's actions amount to treason.

“There is no doubt in my mind that his efforts to encourage a coup represent high treason to this democracy, our Constitution and all Americans. He poses a danger to our nation. He must be impeached and removed from office immediately," the governor said. "And every person in a position of public trust, elected or otherwise, who enabled the systematic dismantling of our democratic norms and failed to speak up or take action bears some responsibility for the culmination of four years of spreading bile."
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

CDFingers wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 1:21 pm Nancy may be announcing Second Impeachment at 1:30 Eastern.

CDFingers
First president to be impeached twice, probably not enough time though to convict and remove. I'm still not convinced that there are enough Republicans to remove him, a few though like Romney. He'd still go down in the history books for two impeachments and that's a big deal. It would be nice to get a conviction and bar him from holding any federal office in the future. I'm sure those Republicans with the "lean and hungry look" would love to see him barred from 2024.