Trump campaign files second claim to Supreme Court citing fake news report on 'alternative electors'

President Donald Trump's campaign has filed a second suit to the U.S. Supreme Court using a false report from pro-Trump conspiracy theory website The Epoch Times.

According to the lawsuit, there were alternative slates of electors chosen in swing states. While there were certainly alternative electors chosen, they weren't chosen by anyone official. They were chose by Trump's allies.

"While Republicans in Georgia, Pennsylvania, Wisconsin, Nevada and Michigan followed the White House's lead, making or discussing moves to form their own competing slates of pro-Trump electors, it was a theatrical effort with no legal pathway. Electoral College slates are tied to the winner of the popular vote in each state, and all five of those states have certified their results in favor of President-elect Joseph R. Biden Jr." the report explained.
https://www.rawstory.com/trump-campaig ... -electors/

Those boys just won’t learn.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

Re: Trump campaign files second claim to Supreme Court citing fake news report on 'alternative electors'

Stiff wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 8:07 pm I was somewhat sympathetic of Falun Gong due to their persecution by the CCP. Unfortunately today I’m beginning to think that the CCP might not be entirely baseless in its concerns. The Epoch Times has morphed from simple anti CCP material to full-blown infowar.
I am with you. It is starting to look like a certain billionaire (who hangs around with Steve Bannon on his yacht) just trying to do something shady and get Trump's help. Falun Gong might have started out OK, I don't know. However, it might be a Chinese version of the Tea Party.
YankeeTarheel wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 7:28 pm This is scary nuts. We have to rely on at least 2 Right-wing Justices having a belief that the Constitution IS sacred.
I have no faith in them. In 2021, I believe they will strangle civil rights, environmental protection, and social programs. In 2024 or 2028, if the election is close, I believe they will show their true colors. I don't think it will go as smoothly as Bush v Gore next time, though, because SCOTUS is so tainted.
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

Re: Trump campaign files second claim to Supreme Court citing fake news report on 'alternative electors'

How much does Christian Science have to do with the Christian Science Monitor? I suspect the quasi-religious Falun Gong has only monetary concerns with the Epoch Times. The paper would probably print anything if they are paid for it and the organization itself would barely take notice. They are, after all, a spiritual organization spend all their time sitting quietly in meditation, not particularly interested in politics and only hate the CCP for persecuting them in China.

The Chinese diaspora by and large don’t care much about American politics. Those incredible stories about election fraud and whatnot becomes fodder for laughs and clever jokes over tea. True or false is almost beside the point when the stories basically serve as proof that the average American just aren’t very intelligent by comparison. Compared to whom? Why the Chinese of course!
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

Just a money making machine for Falun Gong through manipulating Facebook's algorithm to make ad revenue.
Perhaps the most audacious experiment was a new right-wing politics site called America Daily.

Today, the site, which has more than a million Facebook followers, peddles far-right misinformation. It has posted anti-vaccine screeds, an article falsely claiming that Bill Gates and other elites are “directing” the Covid-19 pandemic and allegations about a “Jewish mob” that controls the world.

Emails obtained by The Times show that John Nania, a longtime Epoch Times editor, was involved in starting America Daily, along with executives from Sound of Hope, a Falun Gong-affiliated radio network. Records on Facebook show that the page is operated by the Sound of Hope Network, and a pinned post on its Facebook page contains a promotional video for Falun Gong.

In a statement, The Epoch Times said it had “no business relationship” with America Daily.
But last year, The Epoch Times was barred from advertising on Facebook — where it had spent more than $1.5 million over seven months — after the social network announced that the outlet’s pages had evaded its transparency requirements by disguising its ad purchases.

This year, Facebook took down more than 500 pages and accounts linked to Truth Media, a network of anti-China pages that had been using fake accounts to amplify their messages. The Epoch Times denied any involvement, but Facebook’s investigators said Truth Media “showed some links to on-platform activity by Epoch Media Group and NTD.”

“We’ve taken enforcement actions against Epoch Media and related groups several times,” said a Facebook spokeswoman, who added that the social network would punish the outlet if it violated more rules in the future. Since being barred from advertising on Facebook, The Epoch Times has moved much of its operation to YouTube, where it has spent more than $1.8 million on ads since May 2018, according to Google’s public database of political advertising.

Where the paper’s money comes from is something of a mystery. Former employees said they had been told that The Epoch Times was financed by a combination of subscriptions, ads and donations from wealthy Falun Gong practitioners. In 2018, the most recent year for which the organization’s tax returns are publicly available, The Epoch Times Association received several sizable donations, but none big enough to pay for a multimillion-dollar ad blitz.
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/10/24/tech ... -gong.html

Instead of being a legitimate opponent of CCP, any legitimacy has been compromised and it's become a movement that CCP can easily dismiss. Reminds me a bit of the Moonies that eventually gained right wing legitimacy by buying the Washington Times and donating to right wing Republican candidates.

Donnie is still fund raising based on any wacko theory, Rudy is still justifying his $20,000 a week fee. The Trump campaign doesn't have original jurisdiction at SCOTUS and they'll eventually deny cert.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Bisbee wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 3:50 am How much does Christian Science have to do with the Christian Science Monitor? I suspect the quasi-religious Falun Gong has only monetary concerns with the Epoch Times. The paper would probably print anything if they are paid for it and the organization itself would barely take notice. They are, after all, a spiritual organization spend all their time sitting quietly in meditation, not particularly interested in politics and only hate the CCP for persecuting them in China.

The Chinese diaspora by and large don’t care much about American politics. Those incredible stories about election fraud and whatnot becomes fodder for laughs and clever jokes over tea. True or false is almost beside the point when the stories basically serve as proof that the average American just aren’t very intelligent by comparison. Compared to whom? Why the Chinese of course!
Falun Gong is not just concerned with meditating all day long. In addition to the Epoch Times, they also have Shen Yun. My wife is not politically savvy, so she booked seats for a performance in Detroit. It was beautiful yet unmistakeably cultish and political.

https://www.newyorker.com/culture/cultu ... f-shen-yun

The problem with Falun Gong is that it communicates through propaganda and suppression, in the exact same language as the CCP that it opposes. I suspect a good number of them came out of the CCP itself before they entered the cult.

The Epoch Times posted tons of Trump-supporting ads on Youtube, for that alone I resent them.
Glad that federal government is boring again.