Will trumps Crime In The Streets Election Ploy Work?

trump says he's protecting the suburbs. I guess he never figured it out that this is 2020 not 1968. The suburbs changed since then. And since the 1990's crime is down. Yes, gun violence is up but petty street crime is down everywhere.
With an election looming and the polls looking bad, Donald Trump was in need of a quick political boost.

Seizing on television images of a procession of refugees out of Honduras, the president announced an imminent “invasion” of the United States by a “migrant caravan” and said he would deploy 15,000 military personnel to stop it. For weeks, Fox News blared “coverage” of the emergency.

That was in October 2018, and as a political strategy ahead of the midterm elections, the gambit utterly failed.

The Democrats flipped 40 seats in the House of Representatives the next month and racked up the largest popular vote margin in midterm elections history, on the highest turnout in 100 years. The “caravan” emergency was heard of no more.

Now two years later, Trump is facing an even bigger election, with an even bigger need for a political masterstroke if he is to win a second term in November.Instead of deploying troops to the border to confront a made-up threat, Trump has announced “a surge of federal law enforcement into American communities” to fight a supposed cataclysm of violence born of a Democratic plot to undermine local police.

“To look at it from any standpoint, the effort to shut down policing in their own communities has led to a shocking explosion of shootings, killings, murders and heinous crimes of violence,” Trump said at the White House on Wednesday. “This bloodshed must end. This bloodshed will end.”

The deployment against anti-racism protesters is a ploy to burnish his strongman credentials, critics say – Trump is pursuing made-for-TV fascism, with the imposition of federal forces into US cities against the will of local authorities. As with 2018, the unmistakeable bogeyman is people of color, whom Trump portrays, with the help of conservative media, as again posing an existential threat to the country that only he can defend against.

Unlike the deployment of troops to a US border, the deployment of federal troops inside American cities threatens to fulfill its own fantasy, turning a dark and opportunistic fable spun by the White House into a daunting new reality in which violent clashes really do play out in the streets and unaccountable federal law enforcement officers really do round up and detain US citizens.

“What one has to ask is, how much is spectacle and how much is reality?” said Jason Stanley, a Yale philosophy professor and author of How Fascism Works. “Now, the spectacle should already worry us, because he did the spectacle in Lafayette Square,” Stanley said, referring to Trump’s violent clearance of peaceful protesters from a park near the White House in June.

“Then he did the spectacle in Portland. And when you allow too much spectacle, as it gets worse over time, people start to say, ‘This has been happening for awhile, what’s the big deal?’

“The spectacle normalizes, and then you can’t tell – say it’s November – you can’t tell if it’s still spectacle any more. It’s spectacle until someone gets hurt.”

Just how big of a spectacle the White House has planned for the run-up to the November elections is unknown.
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... y-election

Re: Will trumps Crime In The Streets Election Ploy Work?

Rust wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 4:02 pm
And since the 1990's crime is down. Yes, gun violence is up but petty street crime is down everywhere.
Violent crime rates and murder rates are down since the 1990's, so gun violence must be down, too.
Here's a link to a bunch of stats:
http://www.disastercenter.com/crime/uscrime.htm
Looks to me like aggravated assault went down but then went back up.
The robbery statistic doesn't say if it's armed robbery or not.

Create a problem where none existed, then claim only he can solve it! And the imbeciles fall for it every time, though fewer and fewer do each time.

If some monster breaks your leg, deliberately, and then claims he's a doctor, and the only doctor that can fix it, why the FUCK would you believe him????
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

eelj wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:44 am I think traditionally after a period of extreme social unrest candidates who run on a strong law and order platform do quite well.

The 60s riots had a very long lasting effect, in fact I don't think we have ever got over it. Not just national office but from local mayoral elections on up.
The Nazi Party in Germany ran on a law and order campaign and won many of the lesser elections. They took the Reichstag by outlawing the other parties. Wait for trump and Assoc. to outlaw the Dems for the safety of the nation.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

The Ever Trumper and Maggot Hatters I know personally (Family Member) and on some of the "other" gun forums I hang on are, literally, foaming at the mouth and eating this up. But they are all gonna vote Trump and nothing, absolutely *nothing* can change their minds. If he authorized his Sercret Police to open fire on peaceful protesters in Oregon and killed a couple hundred they'd wail like the damned in approval.

People who might potentially be swing voters? I don't believe anyone (or at least a minuscule) has not made up their mind. He's just conditioning US for what's coming....I truly believe he is conditioning US/Grooming US for his future plans.

VooDoo
Tyrants disarm the people they intend to oppress.

I am sworn to support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic.

eelj wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:34 pm Both parties are guilty of the tough guy campaigns. Bill Clinton was really disgusting in 92.
That was nearly 30 years ago, when Democrats who didn't run as Republican-Lite lost. That was also when the ReThugs started hating Hillary, who was always far to the left of Bill, and, frankly, arrogant, not that Nancy Reagan, Barbara Bush, and Melania Strumpet aren't...

Clinton's Presidency will go down as one of the most problematic. Economic issues were helped, unemployment fell, and we had 32 quarters of growth, where the WORST was better than the best of his successor's. And he and his team laid down the foundations for battling international terrorism. In a deja vu repeated by Trump, Bush & Co. completely disassembled the anti-terrorism mechanisms and tools when they got into office, just like Trump disassembled ALL the pandemic-fighting tools. And, like the Bushies, lied about what the previous admin had done.

But Clinton also spent 3/4 of his time battling the obstructionism of Gingrich in the House, and Republican control of both Houses. When Dole left office, and the Senate Majority Leadership to run in 1996, there was no one of his stature and ability to take over and get things done. Trent Lott could have and should have prevented the Impeachment, and, I suspect he wanted to. Dole WOULD have prevented it. It ultimately cost Gingrich, Bob Livingston, and others their jobs in the House.

As I said, History will view the Clinton years are complex, contradictory, and problematic....but he STILL was an infinitely better President than Reagan, Bush '41, Bush '43, and, of course, Trump--who wins the "Worst" title the way Secretariat won the Belmont....
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

There is nothing complex about the Clinton 8 years at all. Yes he was far better than reagan and bush 1, he was able to push through the reagan republican plumb issues. He put an end to the aid to dependent children killed the labor movement started the militarization of the nations police forces. He will be looked at as the most successful republican pres of the 20th century. That was after he had his most memorable photo op at the stone mountain prison complex in Georgia. Definitely no Willie Hortons under his watch.

I can't believe how people who are protesting police violence against POC are suddenly terrorists needing be be snatched off the street and held in Guantanamo Bay without due process, right to a trial, or even notification of their families that they are in US Government custody. Or even just interrogated and terrified and then turned loose. Who in their right mind or with any sense what-so-ever could justify or condone this?

Maggot Hatter or who ever...if you are applauding this kind of thing and supporting it *YOU* need designated as a Terrorist and purged. This whole idea and DHS Goons/Storm Troopers is right out of a Nazi/Fascist nightmare. If they can snatch people protesting brutality certainly snatching people who have defied their eviction papers are next in nline.

VooDoo
Tyrants disarm the people they intend to oppress.

I am sworn to support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic.