A foreshadowing of the 2020 election, illegal election returns

GOP scandal erupts in Colorado after congressman is caught pressuring party official to submit incorrect election results

Colorado Republican Party Chair Ken Buck, a U.S. representative from Windsor, pressured a local party official to submit incorrect election results to set the primary ballot for a state Senate seat, according to an audio recording of a conference call obtained by The Denver Post.

“You’ve got a sitting congressman, a sitting state party chair, who is trying to bully a volunteer — I’m a volunteer; I don’t get paid for this — into committing a crime,” Eli Bremer, the GOP chairman for state Senate District 10, told The Post on Wednesday, confirming the authenticity of the recording. “To say it’s damning is an understatement.”

Buck says he was merely asking Bremer to abide by a committee decision.

At issue is the Republican primary for the District 10 seat currently held by Sen. Owen Hill, who’s term-limited. State Rep. Larry Liston and GOP activist David Stiver both ran for it. To qualify for the November ballot via the caucus and assembly process, a candidate must receive 30% of the vote from Republicans within the district.

During a district assembly in March, Liston received 75% of the vote and Stiver just 24%, according to documents filed later in Denver District Court. Stiver complained the election was unfair, and the issue was taken up with the state central committee, which agreed, Buck said in an interview Wednesday.

The central committee consists of nearly 500 members, including elected officials and county officers. About 200 were on the line during an April 17 conference call in which the group voted to place Stiver on the ballot for the seat, even though he failed to receive 30% of the district’s votes. After the vote, Buck asked Bremer, the District 10 chair, whether he would comply with the committee’s decision.

“Do you understand the order of the executive committee and the central committee that you will submit the paperwork to include Mr. Stiver and Mr. Liston on the ballot, with Mr. Liston receiving the top-line vote?” Buck said on the call.

Colorado politics from city hall to the halls of Congress, sent every Thursday.
“Uh, yes, sir, I understand the central committee has adopted a resolution that requires me to sign a false affidavit to the state,” Bremer replied.

“And will you do so?” Buck said.

Bremer: “I will seek legal counsel as I am being asked to sign an affidavit that states Mr. Stiver received 30% of the vote. I need to seek legal counsel to find out if I am putting myself in jeopardy of a misdemeanor for doing that. ”

Buck: “And you understand that it is the order of the central committee that you do so?”

Bremer: “I will consult with counsel. Yes, sir, I understand the central committee has ordered me to sign an affidavit stating that a candidate got 30% who did not. And I will seek legal counsel and determine if I am legally able to follow that.”

Buck: “All right, Mr. Bremer, I understand your position; we will now move on.”

Buck, a lawyer, told The Post on Wednesday that it has been the tradition in both parties for their committees to make such decisions.

“What I was asking Eli to do was not to commit fraud, I was asking Eli if he understood the decision of the central committee and if he was willing to follow the request of the Republican central committee,” he said. “It wasn’t like I was asking him to do something because I have a personal stake in the process.”

The assembly process to select the District 10 candidates, carried out as coronavirus was quickly spreading through the state, was flawed, Buck said.

“We have two choices,” he said. “We’re going to allow an unfair election to stand, or we’re going to require the chairman of the Senate district to put the candidate’s name on the ballot and let the primary voters decide.”

Bremer never filed the paperwork. Three days after the phone call, the district’s vice chair filed a “friendly lawsuit,” Bremer said, to prevent him from doing so. Bremer told the court he had no position and would abide by its decision.

District Court Chief Judge Michael Martinez ruled Monday that any certificate of designation filed with the Secretary of State’s Office showing Stiver as a candidate would violate state law because he did not receive at least 30% of the district’s votes.

The state Republican Party appealed the case to the Colorado Supreme Court, which declined Tuesday to hear it. State party spokesman Joe Jackson expressed disappointment in the Supreme Court’s decision, predicting it will set a new precedent in which the courts will be inundated with political fights every two years.

But the April 17 conversation struck Colorado politics expert Seth Masket as brazen. The political science professor at the University of Denver said it’s also likely an uncommon occurrence.

“There are plenty of examples within Colorado and elsewhere of party leaders pressuring subordinates to sort of fudge results or to change their views on things, but it’s very rare you see someone directly ordering someone to commit a crime,” Masket said.

The aftermath is likely problematic for both Buck and the state Republican Party, Masket said.

“But also potentially for Buck as a member of Congress,” he said. “This is something his colleagues probably don’t think highly of. But I can’t imagine it’s about to flip his district blue or anything like that.”

Joe Webb, former chair of the Jefferson County Republican Party, said he counted the votes for the District 10 race and Buck’s comments angered him so badly that he hung up the phone.

“Eli was being asked, and this is very serious, to attest to something as true when he knew it was false,” Webb said. “There’s a word for that in the legal jargon; it’s called perjury.”

Buck, a former district attorney, should have known better, Webb said.

The entire ordeal was disheartening and would not have happened if the coronavirus hadn’t forced the party’s assemblies into a truncated timeline, Webb said.

Bremer said the court rulings were a vindication for him, and Buck’s actions were a betrayal.

At a minimum, Bremer said, Buck owes him an apology.

“How in the heck is the Republican Party going to go out and say we’re for the rule of law except when it applies to us — we can do whatever we want to?” Bremer said. “That’s not my Republican Party.”
https://www.denverpost.com/2020/05/06/ ... p-primary/

There is a least one person in the Reptilian Party that will abide by the law, even when under pressure to do otherwise. Good For Them. :thumbup:
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

Re: A foreshadowing of the 2020 election, illegal election returns

Now trump is pushing a phony conspiracy theory that foreign countries are printing counterfeit mail in ballots already made out with voters names on them. He still hasn't offered any evidence yet.
This is a new twist on an old obsession: not just the debunked issues of widespread voter fraud but that foreign powers would commit fraud through fake mail-in ballots.
Where did he get that idea? Well, it seems to be a claim first advanced by Attorney General Bill Barr in a New York Times interview a few weeks back. In it, Barr said "We've been talking about how, in terms of foreign influence, there are a number of foreign countries that could easily make counterfeit ballots, put names on them, send them in. And it'd be very hard to sort out what's happening."
https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/23/opinions ... index.html

They are just setting up the ideas the November Election is corrupt and voter fraud has taken place to affect the vote count, So the count should stop, and the Supreme Court should declare the Reptilian Trump the winner. Shades of 2000.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

Vote, Rinse, Repeat. The last few elections have been tainted and corrupted and fraudulent. Did we forget the Democrats were *convicted* of rigging the Primary that caused all of this?

https://ivn.us/posts/dnc-to-court-we-ar ... -our-rules

They rigged it to exclude the popular Candidate and appoint the Blue Franchise candidate and they got their asses beat and then they got sued. But it's all OK- the *Democrat* party is under no legal/Constitutional obligations to place their candidate by an election or by Democratic Process. They did it in 2016 and they are doing it again in 2020 but enough people are terrified of 4 more years of Trump that we are, IMO, quite certain to get a Democrat elected even if he sucks and we didn't want him. Just like 2016 only this time the Bernie Bros will be silent and terrified and vote for The Blue Franchise appointee.

Sanders was *burning* until Super Tuesday and then, all of a sudden, the bottom dropped out and *nobody* wanted Sanders anymore. Like a fart that up and vanishes in the wind, Sanders was done...all the others cashed it in and that was that. Really...imagine that.*PoOf*.

But it's not rigging - the DNC is under absolutely no Constitutional constraints to allow their candidate to be elected *but* as Gaad would have it, the cream has risen to the top. like it did in 2016. if they can (and did) rig the primaries in 2016 and 2020 (they were already convicted of doing it in 2016 so it's not theory) then who thinks the DNC or "Their Benefactors and the Franchise/Corporate Owners and Operators" can;t rig the General?

And do we think the Republicans have their hands on the table or do we think Trump purchased the 2016 Nomination (or rather his Owners purchased the nomination) in 2016 and now he has become such a liability that they'll look to 2024 and pay the Blue Franchise to get what they want for the next 4 years?

Knock yourselves out. We'll get what The "Establigarchy" paid for and I'd guess that's the Blue Franchise designated hitter. It's rigged...and not in the Way many think it is. It's just like professional wrestling - there's gonna be a winner and he's gonna be great and he's gonna be the guy that made the most money for the Federation or Franchise. It's all scripted and paid for for entertainment. It'll be amazing...Fantastic - Huge.

VooDoo
Tyrants disarm the people they intend to oppress.

I am sworn to support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic.

I don't believe in the power of the establishment anymore. If either party had any, he'd have had a mysterious accident by now.

The past month has driven home that he has a ruthlessly violent and morally vile base of support that is just itching for permission to kill us all. I don't know how big it is, or how many of our fellow citizens would raise a finger to stop them.

The past three months have driven home that our most powerful weapons are our voices, our wallets, our labor and our butts. Everyone's been prepping. If November turns ugly, we can stay home, spend nothing, and see how long Wall Street backs the play. The problem is, lots of us don't have the resources to hunker down and wait it out. So we have to protect each other.

wings wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:07 pm I don't believe in the power of the establishment anymore. If either party had any, he'd have had a mysterious accident by now.

The past month has driven home that he has a ruthlessly violent and morally vile base of support that is just itching for permission to kill us all. I don't know how big it is, or how many of our fellow citizens would raise a finger to stop them.

The past three months have driven home that our most powerful weapons are our voices, our wallets, our labor and our butts. Everyone's been prepping. If November turns ugly, we can stay home, spend nothing, and see how long Wall Street backs the play. The problem is, lots of us don't have the resources to hunker down and wait it out. So we have to protect each other.
Regardless it's time to consider how we can hunker down. During WWII folks looked at neighborhood gardens for food stuffs. No gas, no travel so the co-op principle let neighbors share and look out for one another. If schools open can parents keep kids home? What if the open one of DeVos Education for Profit schools and nobody goes? What happens if DC starts setting up homeless shelters in all the parks in DC? Maybe set up a soup kitchen on Black Lives Matter Avenue?

Testing doesn't cause Covid-19 infection but ignorance of just how serious it is certainly does. What happens if EVERY city and every state passes a no mask no service law? Don't arrest folk; just don't let them into the grocery store.

The goal between now an November is to create a scenario where no candidate dares to run on anything other than a social welfare platform.

Image and emotion, not reason and logic, are what we need over the next five months.
To be vintage it must be older than me!
The next gun I buy will be the next to last gun I ever buy. PROMISE!
jim