Justin Amash 2020

Rep. Justin Amash, who left the Republican Party last year, is seeking the Libertarian Party nomination for president

The Michigan congressman adds a new complicating factor to the 2020 race, saying he's forming an exploratory committee to run as a Libertarian. Amash's decision ends months of speculation that the former Republican would run as an alternative to President Trump and presumptive Democratic nominee Joe Biden.
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

Re: Justin Amash 2020

i think i see what you're getting at here, carry on go ahead, give it a shot. but libertarians are just as bad, if there's any ideology behind dumbo's facade apart from evangelicism, it's libertarianism. i wouldn't try to persuade them to do anything except maybe drink beach and shove black lights where the sun don't shine.
Last edited by lurker on Tue Apr 28, 2020 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
i'm retired. what's your excuse?

All he has to do is pull enough GOP votes. Trump is banking on barely winning certain states like Michigan. Amash is from Michigan.
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

I feel an Amish vote is a protest vote against Trump from voters who would never vote for a Dem. In 2000 and 2016 the "both candidates are just the same" mantra doesn't hold up in 2020. To put it another way, I don't think Amash is pulling any votes away from Biden.

ncbluedot wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:51 pm I feel an Amish vote is a protest vote against Trump from voters who would never vote for a Dem. In 2000 and 2016 the "both candidates are just the same" mantra doesn't hold up in 2020. To put it another way, I don't think Amash is pulling any votes away from Biden.
I agree Trump won three states by 77,000 votes in 2016; in 2000 Ralph Nader managed 55,000 votes in Florida alone. This guy could be a real problem for the orange turd.
"it's a goddamn impossible way of life"
"And so it goes"

Crap shoot. He could pull GOP voters. He could pull "conservative" Dem voters from Biden.

With Jesse Ventura running as Green Party, the 2020 election could get interesting.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

K9s wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 11:43 pm Crap shoot. He could pull GOP voters. He could pull "conservative" Dem voters from Biden.

With Jesse Ventura running as Green Party, the 2020 election could get interesting.
Jesse Ventura?

I started watching Michael Moore's new film which he released for free on youtube (Planet Of The Humans). I won't post it here (100 minutes). But it's interesting. Mostly he skewers the bio mass electricity generating industry. But he also tries to connect environmental icons like Al Gore to Koch Industries. It seems pretty damning.

The problem with the Green Party is that they will have a difficult time divorcing from highly centralized electricity generation. Touting hydrogen is a loser since most hydrogen is produced from fossil fuels and not electrolysis of water. Solar, wind, hydroelectric, tidal, is all great and wonderful but to avoid environmental damage it has to be done on a decentralized basis. Then of course you end up with the "not in my back yard" syndrome.

And where does Amash stand on electricity generation? The private sector knows best. Well, I'm against that.

"After much reflection, I've concluded that circumstances don't lend themselves to my success as a candidate for president this year, and therefore I will not be a candidate."

-- Rep. Justin Amash of Michigan announcing via Twitter the end of his short-lived Libertarian bid for the presidency. There was much Democratic hand-wringing that Amash could cost Biden votes, especially in Michigan.
https://www.npr.org/2020/05/18/85761647 ... u-wish-for
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Maybe he realized he wouldn't get a lot of donations? It would be a money and time waster if you aren't running on a principled message. I assume he would rather keep his cushy paying job in Congress.

Most likely, he realized he would ruin his chances at future cushy high-paid Koch think-tank jobs. He might even have to get a real job if he angers the far-right oligarchs.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt