Re: Super Tuesday

Not all states allow early voting or late poll times. I remember being shocked in Alabama that the polls were open only one day and closed so early. The results are quickly tallied.

Of course, it is done that way for a reason.
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

For National primaries and elections the federal government should set national standards as to when polls open close and early voting. Also national voter eligibility standards for voting in national elections. I would like to see a national holiday for elections.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

TrueTexan wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 3:24 pm For National primaries and elections the federal government should set national standards as to when polls open close and early voting. Also national voter eligibility standards for voting in national elections. I would like to see a national holiday for elections.
We used to have a voting rights act. Then SCOTUS happened...

They removed the umbrella because they claimed they couldn't feel the rain anymore. What could go wrong?
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

Somebody forgot to tell Steyer's Texas campaign he dropped out. Have seen about 6-8 Steyer ads since yesterday and most recently this morning. Tomorrow will be an interesting day.

NOTE: Would have put in Steyer thread, but it was locked after he dropped out.
"Being Republican is more than a difference of opinion - it's a character flaw." "COVID can fix STUPID!"
The greatest, most aggrieved mistake EVER made in USA was electing DJT as POTUS.

Wino wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 6:52 am Somebody forgot to tell Steyer's Texas campaign he dropped out. Have seen about 6-8 Steyer ads since yesterday
ads were probably bought and paid for weeks ago. or he's a zombie candidate. VOTE FOR, uh, BRAAAAAINS...
i'm retired. what's your excuse?

lurker wrote:
Wino wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 6:52 am Somebody forgot to tell Steyer's Texas campaign he dropped out. Have seen about 6-8 Steyer ads since yesterday
ads were probably bought and paid for weeks ago. or he's a zombie candidate. VOTE FOR, uh, BRAAAAAINS...
Funny enough, voting for brains is exactly what I'm doing this election.

Saw another Steyer ad moments ago. Curious why he dropped out with Super Tuesday so near - pressure from DNC? Surely, not money concerns.
"Being Republican is more than a difference of opinion - it's a character flaw." "COVID can fix STUPID!"
The greatest, most aggrieved mistake EVER made in USA was electing DJT as POTUS.

Wino wrote:Saw another Steyer ad moments ago. Curious why he dropped out with Super Tuesday so near - pressure from DNC? Surely, not money concerns.
Maybe he saw he was siphoning votes from a candidate he was comfortable with? We'll have to wait and see what his next moves are, whether his tap stays open or shuts off now that he's not in it. I never really had a problem with Tom Steyer, at least not in the way I do Bloomberg.

kronkmusic wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 1:57 pm
Wino wrote:Saw another Steyer ad moments ago. Curious why he dropped out with Super Tuesday so near - pressure from DNC? Surely, not money concerns.
Maybe he saw he was siphoning votes from a candidate he was comfortable with? We'll have to wait and see what his next moves are, whether his tap stays open or shuts off now that he's not in it. I never really had a problem with Tom Steyer, at least not in the way I do Bloomberg.
Both Steyer and Bloomy said they would financially support whomever wins the nomination. Time will tell. Their biggest selling point is they ain't Trump.

Wino wrote:
Both Steyer and Bloomy said they would financially support whomever wins the nomination. Time will tell. Their biggest selling point is they ain't Trump.
We'll see how that goes if Bernie is the nominee. I have more hope for Steyer than Bloomberg. When Bernie swept Nevada the establishment acted like the party was burning to the ground in front of their eyes and we were facing an existential crisis. Then Biden won SC and suddenly the messaging was back to unity and supporting the nominee no matter what. Also gotta love Pete's thinly veiled pot-shots at Bernie during his dropping-out speech. "Unity, except for Bernie, cuz our donors don't like taxes"

No coincidence that Pete B, Amy K, and Tom S all dropped out right after SC Primary and before Tuesday, I bet.

I wonder what Pete and Amy were promised? Cabinet positions? Campaign dollars? Both?

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

bloomberg and biden are in a deathmatch now. Bernie no longer has a lock. if bloomberg dropped out now, biden might be able to beat bernie. don't see that happening though.

if bernie wants to win outright, warren has to go.

this makes things more messy, not cleaner

"Person, woman, man, camera, TV."

senorgrand wrote:bloomberg and biden are in a deathmatch now. Bernie no longer has a lock. if bloomberg dropped out now, biden might be able to beat bernie. don't see that happening though.

Warren dropping out is not likely to happen with all that Super PAC money flowing in.

There were always too many moderates running and Bloomberg just watered it down more. The primaries and caucuses won't put an end to the splinter inside the Democratic Party it's probably fatal, the right wing has no corner on conspiracy theories. As I've said, the only person I'd have a very hard time supporting is Bloomberg.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

CA with 415, TX with 228 and NC with 110 are the delegate rich states in today's primaries. There are other races like Jeff Sessions running for his old senate seat in AL, it could go to a run off as he's not as popular in AL as he used to be.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics ... e-updates/
https://www.politico.com/news/2020/03/0 ... ide-118210

Wealth comparison
https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics ... omparison/
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

California voters have been able to cast ballots since early February. Most haven’t.

Through Sunday, just over 20% of the mail-in ballots that voters had requested had been returned, according to Political Data Inc., which has been tracking the ballots. Most voters appear to have waited until late in the process to cast their votes — a wise precaution in such a volatile race.

As we’ve seen repeatedly, state officials will take weeks to count all of California’s late-arriving mail-in ballots. They aren’t required to have a final count until April 2.

That final count probably will differ significantly from the results on election night, and the difference could matter a lot in determining how many delegates each candidate gets. Remember, delegates only go to candidates who get 15% of the vote either statewide or in congressional districts. The long, slow count could provide an agonizing wait for candidates just above or just below that mark on election night.

Whose totals probably will go up or down?
https://www.latimes.com/politics/story/ ... t-to-watch

IIRC they could still vote at a polling station provisionally or drop off their mail in ballot.

senorgrand wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 3:01 pm bloomberg and biden are in a deathmatch now. Bernie no longer has a lock. if bloomberg dropped out now, biden might be able to beat bernie. don't see that happening though.

The best part: The news media is talking about 45 a lot less. The less I hear about that person, the less stressed I am.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

In mysterious robocalls, Texas voters are told they aren’t supposed to vote until tomorrow

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics ... e-updates/ 5:49 p.m. Eastern
A wave of suspicious robocalls has bombarded voters in Texas, apparently trying to convince local Democratic voters that they aren’t supposed to cast their ballots until tomorrow.

The calls have raised red flags with state election officials, who warned the public about them Tuesday, and prompted frustration among area Democratic leaders, who said the barrage could be a form of voter suppression.

“What they were saying was — if you’re a Democrat, you’re supposed to vote tomorrow; if you’re a Republican or independent, you’re supposed to vote today,” said Trey Arnold, political director for the Dallas County Democratic Party.

“Of course, this is a form of voter suppression. This is a way to confuse a lot of people who just don’t know today is Super Tuesday and can get confused,” he said, noting that it could be particularly problematic with older voters. The suspect calls appear to have come from at least two numbers bearing a San Antonio area code, according to people who have received them.

The numbers themselves may be spoofed, meaning the real person or organization behind the unsolicited messages are masquerading their efforts to make it appear as if they are calling from valid numbers nearby. Local Democratic operatives and other frustrated voters reported the calls to the Texas secretary of state, whose office soon issued a warning on Twitter about “reports of robocalls stating misinformation” about Election Day.

Stephen Chang, a spokesman for the office, said it, in turn, had shared information with federal security officials. Robocalls represent a massive, national headache: An estimated 4.8 billion such automated calls were placed to consumers in February, according to YouMail, which offers a call-blocking app.

The deluge of unwanted contacts prompted Congress recently to adopt a law giving federal authorities greater powers to find, and penalize, violators. A Post reporter called one of the suspect numbers Tuesday. “Hello, we are currently conducting polling in your area, thank you very much,” said a brief, seemingly prerecorded message before the line went dead.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

McConnell-affiliated group interferes in a North Carolina primary — for Democrats

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics ... e-updates/ 1:05 p.m.
Intraparty tensions are also at play in a pair of Senate primaries in North Carolina and Texas. Democratic Party leaders in Washington are bracing for a close race in the Tar Heel State between their favored candidate, former state senator Cal Cunningham, and a more liberal candidate, state Sen. Erica Smith.

Adding to the intrigue: A super PAC with ties to Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) admitted last week to spending $3 million on a covert effort to boost Smith — a bid to force Cunningham and his Democratic allies to spend down their campaign accounts, if not eliminate him from the general election entirely.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

Some state polls closed at 4 pm PST. CNN projects that Biden won VA and Sanders will win VT.
https://www.cnn.com/politics/live-news/ ... index.html

Voting has been extended by half an hour in one precinct, Snakebite Township in Bertie County. Therefore, all state results will be held until 8:10 p.m. ET, according to the North Carolina State Board of Elections.

State protocol is that all results are held until all polls are closed across the state.

Voting was extended in Snakebite because of a printer malfunction this morning.
Exit polling of Democrats in VA and NC - their priority is who can defeat Trump and not on issues.
A county judge has ruled that voting in Davidson County, which includes Nashville, will stay open beyond the 8 p.m. ET closing.

The judge has approved five "mega sites" extending voting until 11 p.m. ET, while other voting locations in the precinct will remain open until 9 p.m. ET.

The ruling came swiftly after a lawsuit was filed by the Democratic party and the four top campaigns (Joe Biden, Mike Bloomberg, Bernie Sanders and Elizabeth Warren) to extend voting after storm damage delayed opening of polls.

The party was just informed of the decision, according to communications director Emily Cupples.