Michael Bloomberg 2020

So... the billionaires are getting worried and jumping into the race to meddle? They don't like Bernie or Warren, I guess.

IMHO: No billionaires need apply. The race is too crowded and no one wants you in the race.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/11/07/us/p ... -2020.html
Michael R. Bloomberg is actively preparing to enter the Democratic presidential primary and is expected to file paperwork this week designating himself as a candidate in at least one state with an early filing deadline, people briefed on Mr. Bloomberg’s plans said.

Mr. Bloomberg, the former New York City mayor and billionaire businessman, has been privately weighing a bid for the White House for weeks and has not yet made a final decision on whether to run, an adviser said. But in the first sign that he is seriously moving toward a campaign, Mr. Bloomberg has dispatched staffers to Alabama to gather signatures to qualify for the primary there. Though Alabama does not hold an early primary, it has a Friday deadline for candidates to formally enter the race.

Should Mr. Bloomberg proceed with a campaign, it could represent a seismic disruption in the Democratic race. With his immense personal wealth, centrist views and close ties to the political establishment, he would present a grave and instantaneous threat to former Vice President Joseph R. Biden Jr., who has been struggling to raise money and assemble a ideologically moderate coalition.
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

Re: Michael Bloomberg 2020

If Steyer and Bloomberg weren't so egotistical and greedy, maybe they would spend some money trying to flip Senate seats? Or pitch in and buy Fox and Sinclair?

He is going to steal all the press on the impeachment proceedings. Just like a New Yorker - Me Me Me!
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

LOL...just goes to show that having money doesn't equate to having brains. He's never gonna run and if he DID run, he would never win. He's running in Biden's lane too, which isn't doing great.

Ego.

"Person, woman, man, camera, TV."

And his subsidizing of Everytown is going to be really popular in capturing electoral votes in red states. :sarcasm: Yup, save us from another New Yorker !

Those NY Times/Siena College polls (another thread) of swing state voters likely scared some Democrats, we're a year out, there are impeachment hearings going on and still Trump is running within the margin of error of Biden and top candidates in those swing states. As much as CNN, MSNBC and left leaning media says there is panic in the WH, Trump isn't suffering in the polls. Will all these debates, caucuses and primaries produce a candidate who can beat Trump?
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

i doubt our constitutional democratic republic can survive another 4 years of this. the founders understood that CDRs typically survive no more than 200 years, and they did better, but not much. i suspect term limits would have helped. maybe do away with the electoral college if we get another shot at it. some of you guys are young.
i'm retired. what's your excuse?

Yay! We need another Billionaire diluting the Democrats! :sarcasm:

VooDoo
Tyrants disarm the people they intend to oppress.

I am sworn to support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic.

lurker wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:00 pm i doubt our constitutional democratic republic can survive another 4 years of this. the founders understood that CDRs typically survive no more than 200 years, and they did better, but not much. i suspect term limits would have helped. maybe do away with the electoral college if we get another shot at it. some of you guys are young.
It's over. The best we can do is control the crash and try to prevent violence as The US evolves into something else. Of this I am convinced. It has gone too far to fix at the polls and we will not vote our way out of Oligarchy Control. We might ease the pain some by getting term limits and getting rid of the electoral college but that would mean the people profiting from these things would have to relinquish power and money and that will never happen. Control the crash - the Republic has run it's course and a good run it has been!

VooDoo

I am sworn to support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic.

Bloomberg is another septuagenarian, he's 77 years old vs Trump who is 73. His net worth according to Forbes is 52 billion vs Trump at 3.1 billion.
The Bloomberg team are reportedly planning to focus on the so-called Super Tuesday contests in March, when 14 states, including California, Alabama and Colorado, will vote on a single day for their preferred White House nominee.

If he enters the race, Mr Bloomberg will face intense scrutiny of his three-term mayoral record in New York. While in office, he defended the New York Police Department's use of the controversial stop-and-frisk policy, similar to stop-and-search in the UK, which critics say disproportionately targets African Americans and Hispanics. Black voters are a vital constituency for Democrats.

Speaking to reporters on Friday, President Trump said Mr Bloomberg "will fail" if he joins the Democratic race. Candidates who want to get on the Democratic primary ballot in Alabama must submit the necessary paperwork by Friday. New Hampshire's filing deadline is next week, on 15 November.
Regarded as a moderate Democrat, he has highlighted climate change as a key issue, but he had appeared to dismiss a potential run for the presidency earlier this year.

Mr Bloomberg is a large financial backer of gun-control advocacy group Everytown for Gun Safety, which he helped found in 2014. The group, and Mr Bloomberg, were seen as playing a major role in a sweeping victory for Democrats in Virginia state elections earlier this week.

They vastly outspent gun lobby group the National Rifle Association - which is based in Virginia - by pumping $2.5m into the state race.
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-50340989
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Does this guy actually think he's got a chance?
106+ recreational uses of firearms
1 defensive use
0 people injured
0 people killed

Eris wrote:Does this guy actually think he's got a chance?
Yes, he does.

And I so hope he gets the nomination for an abundance of reasons.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Cazadores wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:05 pm
Yes, he does.

Yeah, come on spill it....what's he got that none of the current hopefuls can offer?

VooDoo

I hope Bloomberg has a Mitt Romney or Howard Dean moment, so as to waste a nice chunk of his money.
Those who make peaceful revolution impossible, make violent revolution inevitable.

lurker wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:13 pm just what we need, normalizing celebrity politics. who's next, kim kardashian?
Someone with an AMAZINGLY brilliant talent for selling herself and making hundreds of millions doing so despite having no discernible talent whatsoever!
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

Down here, the pro-Trumpers I know are just HOPING he is the nominee. He won't get 25% here and will ensure the GOP control for redistricting.

How is Bloomberg polling with African-Americans, Latinx, or white liberals? That describes the majority of the anti-GOP in the South.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

VodoundaVinci wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:50 pm
Cazadores wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:05 pm
Yes, he does.

Yeah, come on spill it....what's he got that none of the current hopefuls can offer?

VooDoo
From his past posts, I think Cazadores is one of our rare Republican supporting forum members. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, Cazadores.

I could certainly seem Republicans wanting Bloomberg to get the nomination, because he's got no chance in Hell of winning, even against Trump. Heck, if Bloomberg got the nomination, I woudn't even vote for him.
106+ recreational uses of firearms
1 defensive use
0 people injured
0 people killed

Don't forget he called Warren a communist for regulating wall street, yet doesn't believe regular folks should drink 12.1 oz of soda.

"Person, woman, man, camera, TV."

Yeah, I'd be voting third party with this jackass getting the nod. Not like he's got a snowballs chance. The best (or worst depending on your opinion) is that he splits the Biden voters and ensures Warren or Bernie wins the votes. It will then be a contested primary at the convention. Which would be fun. (If you don't see the sarcasm in that post about it being fun, I despair again for the future of humanity)
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou

It's hard for me to find too many people clamoring for the Democrats to nominate a hard-core Republican just because he's running as a Democrat, because he'd have ZERO chance of displacing Trump for the GOP nomination.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

YankeeTarheel wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:25 pm It's hard for me to find too many people clamoring for the Democrats to nominate a hard-core Republican just because he's running as a Democrat, because he'd have ZERO chance of displacing Trump for the GOP nomination.
I was trying to follow the reasoning behind the sudden spate of NYT articles proclaiming that Democrats were unhappy with the choices. These were "conservative Dems" like Bloomberg. No one can convince me that this wasn't a prepared rollout of the Bloomberg campaign. I think this was his plan all along.

Of course, it didn't take long for people to be reminded who billionaire Republican Mayor "Stop n Frisk" Bloomberg really is. Warren and Bernie didn't take the bait. I think the only super happy politician was Trump.

Either Bloomberg is itchin' to waste a lot of money or he is "running" to be able to spend money on Dem campaigns. Maybe he was trying to provide another target for Trump? We won't really know why this is happening until he starts campaigning and spending money, I guess.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

Grrrreat... now my pre-election shopping list has to include salty snacks and large soft-drinks too.
I: ALL GUNS ARE ALWAYS LOADED
II: NEVER LET THE MUZZLE COVER ANYTHING YOU ARE NOT WILLING TO DESTROY
III: KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER UNTIL YOUR SIGHTS ARE ON THE TARGET
IV: BE SURE OF YOUR TARGET AND WHAT'S BEHIND IT