4th Democratic candidates debate Oct 15th in Westerville, OH

If you thought all the remaining primary debates were going to be one-night affairs, think again. On Sunday, billionaire activist Tom Steyer got his fourth qualifying poll thanks to an early-state survey from Nevada, which means 11 candidates have now met the polling and donor thresholds for the Democrats’ fourth debate. And Tulsi Gabbard has announced that, based on one subset of respondents, she got a third qualifying poll this weekend, but the Democratic National Committee has confirmed that it is looking at different set of respondents and the poll will not count for her.

The fourth debate is scheduled for Oct. 15 and possibly Oct. 16 (the DNC hasn’t yet confirmed whether it will use a second debate night now that more than 10 candidates have qualified). The qualification thresholds are the same as those for the third debate: Candidates must attract both 2 percent support in four qualifying national or early-state polls released between June 28 and Oct. 1, and collect contributions from 130,000 unique donors (including at least 400 individual donors in at least 20 states).1 Given these rules, the 10 candidates who qualified for the third debate automatically made the fourth debate. And a CBS News/YouGov poll was the last survey Steyer needed to qualify.
https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/at ... ic-debate/
A mere 15 years ago, Republican George W. Bush cemented Westerville's reputation as a solid GOP area by rolling up a 23-point margin on his way to a narrow Ohio win that propelled him to a second term as president. Democrat Barack Obama lost in Westerville by almost double digits in the following two elections. But by 2016, the suburb northeast of Columbus had gone from deep red to light blue, preferring Democrat Hillary Clinton by 4 points even though Donald Trump took the Buckeye State by 8.

The changing political character of Westerville and suburbs across the nation make it the perfect locale for the fourth Democratic presidential debate, the party's Ohio chairman, David Pepper, said Friday after the Democratic National Committee announced the city will play host to that debate.
The debate, at Otterbein University's Rike Center, presumably will be a two-night event, Oct. 15 and 16, since 11 candidates already are qualified.

In Ohio, "a seismic shift in voting patterns in previously Republican suburbs has fundamentally changed the math, and map, of the state," Pepper said. And Westerville "is ground zero in that shift," he said in a new report prepared for the national news media. “Suburban voters, particularly women, are backing Democratic candidates in response to the broken promises and toxic agenda of Donald Trump," Pepper said in a release. "In 2018, Ohio House Democrats flipped six seats from red to blue, and those pickups came in suburban communities like Westerville. Sen. Sherrod Brown’s seven-point victory was powered not just by traditional Democratic voters, but by historic gains in our suburbs."

But Ohio GOP press secretary Elizabeth Giannone sees it differently. It doesn't really matter to Republicans where the Democrats debate, she said, because "Ohioans have made it clear that their radical ideas are not welcome here." "President Trump's pro-growth policies have created a booming economy, and in 2016 we flipped traditionally blue counties red. President Trump won Ohio by 8 points, and we are still feeling that momentum thanks to the president's leadership. The Democrats' radical agendas, policies that will only result in higher taxes on the middle class, simply don't resonate here."

The Westerville matchup will be moderated by CNN’s Anderson Cooper and Erin Burnett, and by Marc Lacey of The New York Times. The format has not been determined.
https://www.dispatch.com/news/20190913/ ... esterville

Ohio is a swing state, they won't come to the Pacific coast it's already blue.
Last edited by highdesert on Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Re: 4th Democratic candidates debate Oct 15 and 16 in Westerville, OH

Date: October 15, 2019 (Tuesday)
Venue: Otterbein University
Partners: CNN and The New York Times
Moderators: Erin Burnett, Anderson Cooper, and Marc Lacey

Candidates had until October 1st to qualify and 12 candidates did:
Joe Biden
Cory Booker
Pete Buttigieg
Julián Castro
Tulsi Gabbard
Kamala Harris
Amy Klobuchar
Beto O’Rourke
Bernie Sanders
Tom Steyer
Elizabeth Warren
Andrew Yang

The new candidate is Tom Steyer, billionaire Bay Area donor to Democratic candidates and causes throughout the US.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Re: 4th Democratic candidates debate Oct 15th in Westerville, OH

K9s wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:23 am November 20 is here in Georgia. Does that make us a swing state? Trump won with 50.77% here in Georgia. Trump won Ohio with 51.69% of the vote.

I hope the field is smaller by then. 12 on one stage is just silly.
GA is a swing state, we'll never see a debate on the west coast we're too blue. That's good, it will help energize Democratic voters. Have they selected a location for the debate? So far candidates down to and including Buttigieg have qualified for 11/20.

I agree that it might be a waste of energy to have the debates in states that are likely blue. This is a good time for Dems to go on the offensive given that Trump is holding rallies in blue cities like Minneapolis.

Westerville seems like an odd choice, but I guess all of Ohio is mostly GOP and white, right? Having the debate in ATL will ensure a lot of buzz and annoy our GOP-controlled government. ATL is majority African-American and the metro area is a whole lot different than Ohio, so that is a nice change for these candidates to deal with. The debate audience will look a lot different than Westerville OH, I bet. More like Mississippi or South Carolina.

https://www.ajc.com/blog/politics/break ... wa2HflOkL/
Democratic Party of Georgia chairwoman Nikema Williams told The Atlanta Journal-Constitution on Tuesday she was not clear where the debate will be held, but that it would likely be in metro Atlanta.

“All roads to the White House run through Georgia,” she said.

State Democratic officials have aggressively lobbied the Democratic National Convention to hold the debate in Georgia, particularly given the double-header U.S. Senate races and competitive U.S. House contests.
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

I doubt I will watch the next debate. 12 is too many for one night, I have already made up my mind on my top 3, and I'll focus on this state over any national POTUS candidate. I will be more interested to see how the candidates deal with voter questions here in November.

If anything big happens in the next debate, I am sure you will let me know.
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt