3rd Democratic candidates debate - Sept 12 in Houston

So you made it through the second set of Democratic debates. Congratulations! Ready to talk about the next ones?

The Democratic National Committee has set stricter criteria for the third set of debates, which will be held on Sept. 12 and Sept. 13 in Houston. If 10 or fewer candidates qualify, the debate will take place on only one night.

Candidates will need to have 130,000 unique donors and register at least 2 percent support in four polls. They have until Aug. 28 to reach those benchmarks.

These criteria could easily halve the field: The first two sets of debates included 20 of the 24 candidates, but a New York Times analysis of polls and donor numbers shows that only 10 to 12 candidates are likely to make the third round.

Eight candidates have already met both qualification thresholds and are guaranteed a spot on stage. They are:

Former Vice President Joseph R. Biden Jr.

Senator Cory Booker of New Jersey

Mayor Pete Buttigieg of South Bend, Ind.

Senator Kamala Harris of California

Senator Amy Klobuchar of Minnesota

Former Representative Beto O’Rourke of Texas

Senator Bernie Sanders of Vermont

Senator Elizabeth Warren of Massachusetts

Ms. Klobuchar’s campaign announced on Friday that she had exceeded the required number of donors in the days following the debate. She had already met the polling threshold. Two other candidates are very close: The former housing secretary Julián Castro and the entrepreneur Andrew Yang have surpassed 130,000 donations and each have three of the four qualifying polls they need.

Beyond them, only three candidates have even a single qualifying poll to their name: the impeachment activist Tom Steyer (2 polls), Representative Tulsi Gabbard of Hawaii (1) and former Gov. John Hickenlooper of Colorado (1). We asked all three of their campaigns to provide donor numbers so we could assess where they stood. Ms. Gabbard said she had over 128,000 donors as of Thursday night. A spokesman for Mr. Steyer said he was “on track to collect the required number of donors to make the September debate stage” but did not give a number. Mr. Hickenlooper’s campaign did not respond, but Politico reported a month ago that he had only 13,000 donors.

The other 11 candidates in the race have no qualifying polls to their name, and they all went into this week’s debates seeking a viral moment that would attract new donors and lift them, even briefly, in the polls. The qualification rules do not require enduring support. Even a small post-debate surge could push a 1 percent candidate up to 2 percent in the small handful of polls he or she needs.

But for those who have not qualified, the Aug. 28 deadline is an existential threat. Candidates like Senator Kirsten Gillibrand of New York or Gov. Jay Inslee of Washington could be washed out of the race if they don’t get momentum from this week’s debates. And if you’re wondering whether they’re anxious, the answer is yes. Ms. Gabbard’s campaign calculated at one point that she needed a new donor every minute to reach 130,000 by the Aug. 28 deadline, so if you go to her website, a timer next to the donation button begins counting down 60 seconds. Then the text changes.

🙁 Oh no!” it says. “The time expired and you didn’t donate!”
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/08/01/us/p ... ebate.html
Last edited by highdesert on Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Re: 3rd Democratic candidates debates - Sept 12 & 13 in Houston

In a blow to their hopes of making the debate stage next month, billionaire Tom Steyer, Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand of New York and a number of other presidential candidates missed a chance to advance in a new poll on Monday, just two days before the cutoff. Ten candidates have already qualified for the ABC-sponsored Democratic debate in Houston in September, but Steyer, Gillibrand, Rep. Tulsi Gabbard of Hawaii and author Marianne Williamson were hoping some last-minute surveys would push them across the threshold.

Now they'll have to hope that new polls come out before Wednesday — a tall order, especially considering that pollsters often avoid surveying Americans in August, when many people are on vacation. Candidates need four polls showing them at 2 percent or higher and 130,000 unique donors.Gabbard, D-Hawaii, needs two more qualifying polls; Gillibrand needs three more polls, plus more donors. Williamson has enough contributors, but needs three more polls. For the four polls to qualify, they have to be conducted by DNC-approved pollsters, be from a combination of different pollsters and conducted in different geographic areas, such as Iowa, New Hampshire, or the entire nation.

Steyer is just one poll away. But a new Monmouth national survey out Monday was a setback — it pegged his support below 1 percent. The poll also found a three-way tie for first place between Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders, Massachusetts Sen. Elizabeth Warren — both at 20 percent — and former Vice President Joe Biden at 19 percent, down from 32 percent in the pollster's last survey.

"The main takeaway from this poll is that the Democratic race has become volatile. Liberal voters are starting to cast about for a candidate they can identify with. Moderate voters, who have been paying less attention, seem to be expressing doubts about Biden," said Patrick Murray, director of the independent Monmouth University Polling Institute. "But they are swinging more toward one of the left-leaning contenders with high name recognition rather than toward a lesser known candidate who might be more in line with them politically."

Steyer, a billionaire activist, has spent heavily on TV ads since entering the race this summer, helping to raise his name recognition to 70 percent, according to Monmouth. But that has not made him popular: Just 9 percent have a favorable impression of Steyer, compared with 25 percent who view him unfavorably. Steyer and other low-polling candidates slammed the Democratic National Committee over the debate rules last week during a DNC meeting in San Francisco. "The American people deserve to hear this message in September, but are being denied by the lack of recent qualifying polls," Steyer campaign manager Heather Hargreaves said in a statement. "We are calling on the DNC to expand their polling criteria to include more qualifying polling."

His campaign also has a petition going calling on the DNC to add surveys of Nevada, one of the four early primary and caucus states, to its list of qualified polls. Sen. Michael Bennet of Colorado, who has little hope of making the debate stage, was even more critical, using his speech to the DNC to say the party's rules were “stifling debate at a time when we need it most." Other candidates who remain far off from qualifying include New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio, Montana Gov. Steve Bullock, former Maryland Rep. John Delaney and Ohio Rep. Tim Ryan.

Candidates who miss the September debate will still have a chance to qualify for the October debate when the thresholds will be the same, but they'll have more time. The standards are expected to rise in November for future debates, however. If any more candidates qualify for next month's contest, the debate will once again be spread across two nights, like the June and July debates, since the maximum number of candidates on stage is 10.

The 10 candidates who have qualified already include: Biden; Warrens; Sanders; New Jersey Sen. Cory Booker; Mayor Pete Buttigieg of South Bend, Indiana; former Housing Secretary Julián Castro; California Sen. Kamala Harris; Minnesota Sen. Amy Klobuchar; former Texas Rep. Beto O'Rourke; and entrepreneur Andrew Yang.
https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2020-e ... d-n1046416
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

senorgrand wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:39 pm Probably less Debates than "debates" (is there an emoji for air quotes?)
Steyer, a billionaire activist, has spent heavily on TV ads since entering the race this summer, helping to raise his name recognition to 70 percent, according to Monmouth. But that has not made him popular: Just 9 percent have a favorable impression of Steyer, compared with 25 percent who view him unfavorably.
Another billionaire who feels entitled, Steyr thought he could jump in late and buy his way to the nomination. Drama...

Reports are that if there are only 10 candidates it will be a one night of debate, if there are 11 plus it will be two nights.

Two more polls today but they didn't change the candidates who will appear, the cut off is midnight for approved polls. So Tom Steyer, Tulsi Gabbard, Marianne Williamson, Kristen Gillibrand, Michael Bennet, Steve Bullock, Bill de Blasio, John Delaney, Tim Ryan and Joe Sestak didn't make it.

The candidates who will be at the 3rd debate at Texas Southern University, Houston.
Joe Biden
Pete Buttigieg
Kamala Harris
Bernie Sanders
Elizabeth Warren
Cory Booker
Beto O’Rourke
Amy Klobuchar
Julián Castro
Andrew Yang

Biden, Buttigieg, Harris, Sanders and Warren qualified with 14 polls each. Booker had 11, O'Rourke 9, Klobuchar 6, and Castro and Yang 5 each.
https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/he ... oola_rcc_r

The DNC is grooming away. At least we are getting closer to Election Day....I wish they'd just cut to the chase and tell US that Joe Biden is so much preferred and so far ahead that he's gonna be the nominee.

Pretty sure that's how it's gonna be in the end anyway. Hope I'm wrong.

VooDoo
Tyrants disarm the people they intend to oppress.

I am sworn to support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic.

Re: 3rd Democratic candidates debate - Sept 12 in Houston

When is the debate? Thursday from 8-11 p.m. ET

What channel is it on? ABC and Univision (with Spanish translation)

Who are the moderators? ABC's George Stephanopoulos, David Muir, Linsey Davis and Univision's Jorge Ramos

Who's on the stage? Biden, Sens. Cory Booker of New Jersey, Kamala Harris of California, Amy Klobuchar of Minnesota, Bernie Sanders of Vermont and Warren, as well as South Bend, Ind., Mayor Pete Buttigieg, Obama Housing Secretary Julián Castro, former Rep. Beto O'Rourke of Texas and tech investor Andrew Yang.

What were the qualifications to get into this debate? 2% in at least four Democratic polls, either nationally or in early states, as well as 130,000 donors from at least 20 states and at least 400 in each state.
https://www.npr.org/2019/09/12/75999876 ... ic-debates

I missed the first half on health care and gun control and Beto's statement:
“Hell, yes, we’re going to take your AR-15, your AK-47"
Later that night, it brought an apparent threat.

“My AR is ready for you Robert Francis,” Briscoe Cain, a GOP Texas state lawmaker wrote on Twitter, using the candidate’s given first and middle names.

O’Rourke responded on Twitter, “This is a death threat, Representative. Clearly, you shouldn’t own an AR-15 — and neither should anyone else.”

Until recently, there had not been much daylight among the Democratic presidential candidates on gun control. All generally supported liberal policies such as an assault weapons ban and “red flag” laws that would allow officials to take guns away from high-risk owners.

But after the recent mass shootings, O’Rourke has pressed an even tougher line: mandatory gun buybacks for the types of semiautomatic rifles often used in deadly attacks. In other words, an unapologetic government confiscation program, which would have been taboo for a Democratic presidential candidate a generation ago.

O’Rourke has become much more blunt in his rhetoric since the massacre in his hometown, where, police say, a gunman espousing white-nationalist ideology killed 22 people inside a Walmart, many of them Latinos.

On the debate stage, O’Rourke was praised by the other candidates for his passion, including from former Vice President Joe Biden, who cautioned that new gun control laws would require the assent of Congress.

“The way he handled what happened in his hometown is meaningful,” Biden said, drawing a loud and sustained cheer from the crowd.
https://www.latimes.com/politics/story/ ... un-control

Last night was "Back to School Night" for my youngest, just entering high school. While I usually HATE BTSNs, this one was a bit more informative than usual, and I got good vibes from most of his teachers...never 100%. At least, in a school where English teachers are usually disorganized wackos (incense, music, pathetic poetry, and incoherent), his is a highly organized and interesting wacko--tats, nose ring, mohawk haircut..but she "gets it" which is all I care about.

So I only got to see a few of the final closing statements.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

YankeeTarheel wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:27 am Last night was "Back to School Night" for my youngest, just entering high school. While I usually HATE BTSNs, this one was a bit more informative than usual, and I got good vibes from most of his teachers...never 100%. At least, in a school where English teachers are usually disorganized wackos (incense, music, pathetic poetry, and incoherent), his is a highly organized and interesting wacko--tats, nose ring, mohawk haircut..but she "gets it" which is all I care about.

You didn't miss anything in the second half that I saw YT. The audience was very involved and Biden got heckled but same-old, same-old.

highdesert wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:53 am
YankeeTarheel wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:27 am Last night was "Back to School Night" for my youngest, just entering high school. While I usually HATE BTSNs, this one was a bit more informative than usual, and I got good vibes from most of his teachers...never 100%. At least, in a school where English teachers are usually disorganized wackos (incense, music, pathetic poetry, and incoherent), his is a highly organized and interesting wacko--tats, nose ring, mohawk haircut..but she "gets it" which is all I care about.

You didn't miss anything in the second half that I saw YT. The audience was very involved and Biden got heckled but same-old, same-old.
Thanks, HD!

Reminds me of one cynic's description of my favorite epic "Lord of the Rings". The cynic (a work colleague) put it this way: "...and they walked!" I had to laugh, because she nailed it in the simplest way.

The Melee has long been a fond crowd pleaser.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

Just watched a recap. Nothing earth shaking except for Beto blowing himself up...Warren has just jumped up head and shoulders to me. Just cut to the chase and run Sanders/Warren or Warren/Sanders and watch US retake the Executive Branch in 2020.

As far as Mr. O'Rourke and his "Death Threat" derived from someone telling him "mine is ready for ya" does this jackass not understand how many of US see "being disarmed" as a death threat?

What does he think is going to happen if they actually get a law that makes US turn them in/give them up? This proposed legislation is a death threat to me. And an awful lot of others. He can't possibly be this clueless. What's his real agenda?

VooDoo

I am sworn to support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic.

I think a Warren / Sanders ticket is a loser--2 New England senators, and one of them yet another older White man?
And I cannot see Warren taking on VP for anyone, though I believe she'd reluctantly accept from Biden more than Sanders. I think she actually gets along better with Biden, he'd listen to her, and Sanders wouldn't.

My preference would be Warren with someone edgy, from a different part of the country, and able to energize people, not someone "safe".

Might not be the same everywhere but here where I live Biden is DOA. Viewed as Establishment and it's "his turn"....Sadly, many here love Warren but just do not believe enough people will vote for a woman. Not sure I buy that but there are an awful lot of old, white Democrats who won't vote for her and a lot of them are old women like my Mom.

The Democrats are *so* fractured and alienating *so* many "might vote Democrat" voters with the standard BS of tearing each other down to get the nomination only to find they have done such a great job of destroying each other they can't beat Trump. I know it's early yet but the Democrats are already losing "would bees" and it's over a year away.

I hope they know what they are doing....

VooDoo

Democratic Party 2020 hopefuls gathered in Houston on Thursday for the third round of debates.

While the candidates presented their visions for leading America, their message was drowned out online by “bots” pushing the messages of President Donald Trump’s re-election campaign.

“More than 1,000 accounts across several different social media platforms with suspicious, bot-like characteristics helped push quote tweets, a tweet that is retweeted but additional text is added, from Donald Trump campaign accounts during the third primary debate, according to an analysis provided to Axios by social media intelligence company Storyful,” Axios reported Saturday. “Those tweets accounted for the top 3 most-shared links across several social media platforms, including Facebook, Reddit, etc., during the debate.”

Story analyzed 1.4 million posts made over a seven-hour period before, during, and after the three-hour debate.

The top three tweets received over 15,500 retweets.

“The most-shared tweet came from @TeamTrump, the official Twitter account for the Trump Campaign, and contained a video of a pro-Trump banner flown over the debate location. The third-most shared tweet, which came from @TrumpWarRoom, also contained the same video,” Axios reported.
https://www.rawstory.com/2019/09/trump ... ts-report/

This is a preview of what is to come. Thank you Vladimir Putin.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,