Julián Castro 2020

I really like the CJ and immigration reform platform. I never thought he had a chance.

I hope he breaks out and moves up in the polls.
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

Re: Julián Castro 2020

I'll put my 2 cents in and say I've liked him and his ideas very much. He's smart, capable, experienced...and I had hoped Hillary would have picked him as Veep in 2016 instead of going "safe".
However, I don't he has a chance to break out. It's kind of a clown show at this point, having gotten ridiculous. Somebody else I never heard of just got in.

Samantha Bee has it right: The governors of Montana and Colorado (and Beto) have zero chances at the Presidency but GREAT chances at flipping Senate seats, if they'll just go after them. 3 seats (minimum) and a Democratic President and the Senate flips.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

BungalowBill wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:32 pm I’m in San Antonio, where he was mayor. I hope he does well too but I get the feeling he’s running for a VP nomination.
I think he would be a good VP choice, too.
YankeeTarheel wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:20 pm I'll put my 2 cents in and say I've liked him and his ideas very much. He's smart, capable, experienced...and I had hoped Hillary would have picked him as Veep in 2016 instead of going "safe".
However, I don't he has a chance to break out. It's kind of a clown show at this point, having gotten ridiculous. Somebody else I never heard of just got in.

Samantha Bee has it right: The governors of Montana and Colorado (and Beto) have zero chances at the Presidency but GREAT chances at flipping Senate seats, if they'll just go after them. 3 seats (minimum) and a Democratic President and the Senate flips.
I think that McConnell has done a great job of making the Senate a place where no Dem wants to work. It sounds like a pretty horrible and depressing place to be.

It is a long time until Nov 2020, so a lot of good people could still run for Senate. They are all building name ID and contributor lists. I would donate $5/mo to many of them for Senate if would help flip the Senate blue. Castro or Beto could step in for MJ if she stumbles. Bennet and Hickenlooper could do the same in Colorado. The rest could (and are) blanketing the US to get Dems enthused.
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

BungalowBill wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:52 pm Also: There’s no way either Julian or Beto can beat Cornyn in Texas. That’s just a pipe dream.
And Trump could never beat Hillary. And Alabama would never elect a Dem Senator.

Never say never.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

K9s wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:46 am
BungalowBill wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:52 pm Also: There’s no way either Julian or Beto can beat Cornyn in Texas. That’s just a pipe dream.
And Trump could never beat Hillary. And Alabama would never elect a Dem Senator.

Never say never.
I know, right?

Quick question: Can you name the person currently running against John Cornyn for Senate?

BungalowBill wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:31 pm
K9s wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:46 am

Never say never.
I know, right?

Quick question: Can you name the person currently running against John Cornyn for Senate?
MJ (remember "Doors"?), as I mentioned above.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

Julián Castro is laying off his campaign team in New Hampshire and South Carolina as he fights to keep his campaign afloat, a Castro aide tells CNN. The teams in the two early nominating states were told they were being let go on Monday. Their last days at work will be next week, the aide said. This comes after CNN first reported on Saturday that the Castro campaign was looking to downsize, supporting staffers looking for other jobs and pivoting their focus to Iowa, Nevada and Texas.

"In pushing to keep Secretary Castro's critical voice in this race, our campaign, like many others, will make adjustments in staffing and resources," Hackett said, in response to a story first reported by Politico. "This race is shifting as we speak, and Julián will continue to be fearless and defy expectations by making the most of our resources." Some Castro aides outside of New Hampshire and South Carolina have taken the campaign up on that offer and other campaigns have received inquiries from would-be former Castro aides.

All of this is a bid to keep Castro's campaign solvent as the former Housing and Urban Development secretary works to qualify for the November debate, something he has yet to do. Castro has struggled for months to raise money or get attention in the still large field of Democrats vying for the chance to take on President Donald Trump in 2020. Castro spent the final 10 days of October pushing to raise $800,000 and pledged to donors that he would drop out if he failed to hit that goal. The campaign narrowly hit the goal with hours to go on October 31.

But the decision to lay off staff in the wake of that fundraising push raises questions about how long the money can actually propel the former San Antonio mayor. Castro also plans to go on air with a small $50,000 ad in Iowa starting on Tuesday morning, a bid to drum up enough publicity and support to register at 3% in the needed statewide polls to make the November debate.
https://www.cnn.com/2019/11/05/politics ... index.html
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

I support Julian Castro, I know him, he's been over for dinner. I respect his integrity, his work ethic, his ability to find a middle path, and he's a true ally of the LGBTQ community. He's been the Mayor of San Antonio, the 7th largest city in the US as well as the Secretary of Housing and Urban Development. His policies as Mayor of San Antonio has led to urban renewal of the city core and his program of Pre K has improved the performance of the children who have participated in the program. At HUD he lowered mortgage insurance premiums, further fair housing policies including non-discrimination for LGBTQ people and accelerated internet adoption in communities across the US. He grew up poor on the West Side of San Antonio with his twin brother, his mother and grandmother. He gets what it means to struggle. He knows how to find the middle ground, but he'll also stand up for what's right. Most of all he has an inclusive vision for America.

spara wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:06 pm I support Julian Castro, I know him, he's been over for dinner. I respect his integrity, his work ethic, his ability to find a middle path, and he's a true ally of the LGBTQ community. He's been the Mayor of San Antonio, the 7th largest city in the US as well as the Secretary of Housing and Urban Development. His policies as Mayor of San Antonio has led to urban renewal of the city core and his program of Pre K has improved the performance of the children who have participated in the program. At HUD he lowered mortgage insurance premiums, further fair housing policies including non-discrimination for LGBTQ people and accelerated internet adoption in communities across the US. He grew up poor on the West Side of San Antonio with his twin brother, his mother and grandmother. He gets what it means to struggle. He knows how to find the middle ground, but he'll also stand up for what's right. Most of all he has an inclusive vision for America.
It's a pity because I liked Castro more than any of the others from the beginning of this megillah, though I saw it as very difficult for him to actually be a serious contender.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

it would be amusing to nominate and elect a man of hispanic descent just to watch the MAGAts squirm.
i'm retired. what's your excuse?

spara wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:06 pm I support Julian Castro, I know him, he's been over for dinner. I respect his integrity, his work ethic, his ability to find a middle path, and he's a true ally of the LGBTQ community. He's been the Mayor of San Antonio, the 7th largest city in the US as well as the Secretary of Housing and Urban Development. His policies as Mayor of San Antonio has led to urban renewal of the city core and his program of Pre K has improved the performance of the children who have participated in the program. At HUD he lowered mortgage insurance premiums, further fair housing policies including non-discrimination for LGBTQ people and accelerated internet adoption in communities across the US. He grew up poor on the West Side of San Antonio with his twin brother, his mother and grandmother. He gets what it means to struggle. He knows how to find the middle ground, but he'll also stand up for what's right. Most of all he has an inclusive vision for America.
The hispanic community needs to get with it on backing their leaders. They seem so wishy washy when it comes to getting the vote out. If properly organized they could take countless seats. My family has a huge hispanic and latin presence. And we ALL VOTE!
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing,”

He is one of my favorite candidates. I can only hope that he will be a cabinet member in the Sanders/Abrams administration. :)

- Franklin D. Roosevelt