Cory Booker 2020

Cory Booker proposes national license for all gun owners
Democratic presidential candidate Cory Booker is proposing that all gun owners be licensed by the federal government, a process that would include an interview and safety training.

National licensing is one of more than a dozen specific proposals in a sweeping gun control agenda the U.S. senator from New Jersey released on Monday. It's his second policy rollout in three weeks as he tries to break through the crowded Democratic primary field.
Booker's gun control agenda includes universal background checks for gun buyers; the reinstitution of a ban on assault weapons and high-capacity firearm magazines; and the modernization of the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.

Re: Cory Booker 2020

Wouldn't this be a direct conflict with the 2A? 2A allows states to do this, within limits.
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
- Ronald Reagan

A New Jersey politician proposing gun control, how appropriate.
Glad that federal government is boring again.

dougb wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 9:53 am Wouldn't this be a direct conflict with the 2A? 2A allows states to do this, within limits.
It's safe to say Booker is playing to people not too concerned with the constitution. He's trying to out-Swalwell Swalwell.

Also, 2A, per its text, does not allow states to impose limits; judges have.

I've said before, I'd have little problem with a free federal licensing program based on objective criteria if it included access to all firearms and reciprocal carry. As proposed, Booker can go play at Spartacus somewhere else.

Booker sounds like a big city mayor, not like a candidate running for the WH. Small states are concerned with states rights and a federal licensing system could wipe out state laws, especially states with constitutional carry even liberal Vermont. I'd like to see a federal law that mandated all states have "shall issue laws" that are objective and not subjective, some basic training requirements and then leave the rest to the states.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Cory Booker’s Gun Control Plan Calls for National Licensing Program
Aspects of Mr. Booker’s 14-part plan are among the most progressive gun-control measures suggested by a candidate seeking the Democratic nomination for president, and are likely to face sharp criticism from gun-rights advocates like the National Rifle Association.
Mr. Booker’s campaign said the process would involve submitting fingerprints and sitting for an interview, and would require applicants to complete a certified gun safety course. Each applicant would also undergo a federal background check before being issued a gun license, which would be valid for up to five years.
A 2018 study found that 63 percent of gun owners supported requiring a person to obtain a license from local law enforcement before buying a gun; support for gun licensing among people who do not own a gun was even higher.

Gun control takes center stage in 2020 Democratic presidential race
Booker’s plan would also ban assault weapons; allow the Consumer Product Safety Commission to regulate gun manufacturers; require microstamping technology be incorporated into new models of semi-automatic handguns; calls for universal background checks for gun sales; and close the “boyfriend loophole” that allows dating partners to purchase firearms after being convicted of abuse or under a restraining order. Current and former spouses convicted of abuse or under a restraining order are prohibited from purchasing a firearm.

If Cory Booker is the nominee (hugely doubtful) I’m either voting third party or not voting at all.
Even “anyone but Trump” goes only so far. I held my nose to vote for Hillary and I’m not compromising myself like that again.
Is there anyone here that would vote for Booker?

Stiff wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 10:10 am A New Jersey politician proposing gun control, how appropriate.
Because of our already-restrictive laws?
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

HuckleberryFun wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 3:46 pm If Cory Booker is the nominee (hugely doubtful) I’m either voting third party or not voting at all.
Even “anyone but Trump” goes only so far. I held my nose to vote for Hillary and I’m not compromising myself like that again.
Nope, nor Harris. I'm done with corporate Dems, so Biden is out as well. (I say now, desperation may get the better of me as the election approaches).

Nope. There is NOBODY I wouldn't vote for as an alternative to Trump.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

YankeeTarheel wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 3:58 pm Nope. There is NOBODY I wouldn't vote for as an alternative to Trump.
YT,

I absolutely understand this. However, I haven't yet been able to vote my conscience due to the "anybody but" candidates the Rs continue to put up (Obama was as close as it got, and he was mediocre to poor on a lot of issues). I grow weary of it and, honestly, don't see how we ever evolve out of our current bottleneck of horrible and slightly less horrible if some of us don't start voting otherwise. I know we've all gone on about this before, so not to rehash, but it leaves me feeling icky.

DispositionMatrix wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 3:28 pm Gun control takes center stage in 2020 Democratic presidential race
Booker’s plan would also ban assault weapons; allow the Consumer Product Safety Commission to regulate gun manufacturers; require microstamping technology be incorporated into new models of semi-automatic handguns; calls for universal background checks for gun sales; and close the “boyfriend loophole” that allows dating partners to purchase firearms after being convicted of abuse or under a restraining order. Current and former spouses convicted of abuse or under a restraining order are prohibited from purchasing a firearm.
Like featureless, Booker and Harris never. Microstamping isn't even a reality - Booker thinks like a blue city mayor not someone who wants to win the WH.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

YankeeTarheel wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 3:53 pm
Stiff wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 10:10 am A New Jersey politician proposing gun control, how appropriate.
Because of our already-restrictive laws?
Yeah. Just expand NJ law to the entire country, that will solve all of our problems.

Right.
Glad that federal government is boring again.

Oh goodie. Micro stamping. It's been tremendously successful in California at ensuring no new handgun models are allowed into the state. Unless you're LEO, of course. By the way, our handgun roster is currently waiting on SCOTUS' desk to see if it's constitutional. CA9 said of course it is, even if not feasible. Never let feasibility get in the way of a constitutional right.

featureless wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 4:35 pm Oh goodie. Micro stamping. It's been tremendously successful in California at ensuring no new handgun models are allowed into the state. Unless you're LEO, of course. By the way, our handgun roster is currently waiting on SCOTUS' desk to see if it's constitutional. CA9 said of course it is, even if not feasible. Never let feasibility get in the way of a constitutional right.
Pena vs Horan, still at SCOTUS waiting on cert petition. At least they haven't denied it.

highdesert wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 4:49 pm
featureless wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 4:35 pm Oh goodie. Micro stamping. It's been tremendously successful in California at ensuring no new handgun models are allowed into the state. Unless you're LEO, of course. By the way, our handgun roster is currently waiting on SCOTUS' desk to see if it's constitutional. CA9 said of course it is, even if not feasible. Never let feasibility get in the way of a constitutional right.
Pena vs Horan, still at SCOTUS waiting on cert petition. At least they haven't denied it.
My understanding is Pena has fallen into a black hole of waiting, potentially on the New York transportation case. Yes, at least it hasn't been denied.

HuckleberryFun wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 3:46 pm If Cory Booker is the nominee (hugely doubtful) I’m either voting third party or not voting at all.
It is easy to "vote your conscience" in a blue state, I guess. Firearms aren't edible and are not the preferred method of curing illness.

I bet you actually have environmental regulations that are enforced in blue states, right? Agricultural or mining waste isn't a big problem with your water and air?

If everyone was allowed to vote in free and fair elections, I might feel differently. If we could end racial (partisan) gerrymandering, voter suppression, and GOP human rights abuses and lawlessness any other way, I would feel differently.

Yes, I would vote for Booker.
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

K9s wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 5:30 pm It is easy to "vote your conscience" in a blue state, I guess.
Nope, not easy despite your correctness on the issues you describe. I haven't managed to get myself to do it outside of primaries (with the exception of last election for CA governor which I left blank--just couldn't vote for Newsom).

We all live in different realities. As a Californian, it really doesn't matter to anybody but me who I vote for because the electoral votes will go to the dem candidate. So perhaps utilizing my vote or highdesert's vote to boost a third party out of statistical insignificance is wise, should we ever hope for more than Clintonesque "progressive" policies. Booker wouldn't be the worst thing to happen by a long shot, but he's hardly going to push the envelope and will certainly do everything in his power to regulate gun ownership.

featureless wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 6:40 pm
K9s wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 5:30 pm It is easy to "vote your conscience" in a blue state, I guess.
Nope, not easy despite your correctness on the issues you describe. I haven't managed to get myself to do it outside of primaries (with the exception of last election for CA governor which I left blank--just couldn't vote for Newsom).

We all live in different realities. As a Californian, it really doesn't matter to anybody but me who I vote for because the electoral votes will go to the dem candidate. So perhaps utilizing my vote or highdesert's vote to boost a third party out of statistical insignificance is wise, should we ever hope for more than Clintonesque "progressive" policies. Booker wouldn't be the worst thing to happen by a long shot, but he's hardly going to push the envelope and will certainly do everything in his power to regulate gun ownership.
Yeah, I understand. My voter never mattered until 2017.

I am in a swing Congressional district that stayed GOP by 0.0015% in 2018 (433 votes out of 280,453), so I cannot afford to stay home in 2020. For once, it matters.
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

K9s wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 7:10 pm

I am in a swing Congressional district that stayed GOP by 0.0015% in 2018 (433 votes out of 280,453), so I cannot afford to stay home in 2020. For once, it matters.
That must feel good. :beer2:

featureless wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 7:13 pm
K9s wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 7:10 pm

That must feel good. :beer2:
Not when you still lose because the "liberal" half of the district was targeted. The GOP lies and cheats and no one is held accountable.

https://www.11alive.com/article/news/po ... -611764666

Gwinnett Co. voters wait for hours after workers forget power cords for the voting machines

https://www.ajc.com/news/local-govt--po ... w32vmrG2I/

Gwinnett County has become ground zero in the fight over alleged voter suppression in Georgia, with voting advocates and civil rights groups homing in on what they’ve deem the “excessive rejection” of absentee ballots.

https://www.ajc.com/news/state--regiona ... 8PTrgZlJI/

Nearly one in 10 vote-by-mail ballots have been rejected by Gwinnett County election officials, alarming voting rights groups.

Gwinnett is throwing out far more absentee ballots than any other county in Georgia, according to records from the Secretary of State’s Office.

Problems with rejected ballots are a “red flag” for racial minorities in Gwinnett, where more than 60 percent of residents are Latino, black or Asian, said Jerry Gonzalez, executive director for the Georgia Association of Latino Elected Officials.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

featureless wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 4:12 pm
YankeeTarheel wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 3:58 pm Nope. There is NOBODY I wouldn't vote for as an alternative to Trump.
YT,

I absolutely understand this. However, I haven't yet been able to vote my conscience due to the "anybody but" candidates the Rs continue to put up (Obama was as close as it got, and he was mediocre to poor on a lot of issues). I grow weary of it and, honestly, don't see how we ever evolve out of our current bottleneck of horrible and slightly less horrible if some of us don't start voting otherwise. I know we've all gone on about this before, so not to rehash, but it leaves me feeling icky.
The house is on fire and is about to burn down the neighborhood. I frankly don't give a fuck about the purity of the water in the fire hoses, It could be Flint, MI water, doesn't have to be mountain spring for all I care.

Our nation is closer to a full fascist dictatorship than it has ever been as the White House and Cabinet are, just today, breaking laws (Mnuchin on tax returns), and defying subpoenas. Rule of law is almost gone.
Last edited by YankeeTarheel on Mon May 06, 2019 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.