Re: Bernie Sanders 2020

Great graphs CDF, very visual. There are a number of different ratios, the Gini Index of the World Bank is often and looking at Europe, five countries have the most equality - Ukraine, Slovenia, Norway, Slovak Republic and Czech Republic.
https://www.theguardian.com/inequality/ ... -countries

Another way of looking at it.
https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandso ... quality-is
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

lurker wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:52 am that top graph clearly shows where everyone's economic opportunity is going. at some point they'll have milked us all dry, and then they'll look for ways to bring slavery back, presumably under a different name. or exterminate us because we are a danger to them, and no longer useful.
Just wait until climate change really kicks in in the coming decade. We ain't seen nuthin yet, I fear.

lurker wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:52 am that top graph clearly shows where everyone's economic opportunity is going. at some point they'll have milked us all dry, and then they'll look for ways to bring slavery back, presumably under a different name. or exterminate us because we are a danger to them, and no longer useful.
Look at private prisons and prison & jail labor. Slavery never really left, and many states are all on board.

Look at the reasons people join the military these days. It isn't just patriotism. Many have few other choices for jobs, healthcare, and education.

And they never ask in those "debates" how we are going to pay for the military. Only healthcare and education spending are questioned. Will Mexico pay for it?
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

When the head of New Hampshire’s leading foundation for women arrived at a local Women’s March to find she would be sharing the stage with Sen. Bernie Sanders, she backed out. At the same event, a prominent former state senator turned her back when he spoke. After a week-long flare-up with Sen. Elizabeth Warren, Sanders sought to bolster his support among women on Saturday. But for a number of New Hampshire activists, he only made it worse. “In the context of the last week's events, it was especially ironic it was Sen. Sanders speaking,” said former state Sen. Iris Estabrook, who has endorsed Sen. Amy Klobuchar. She was at the event with a sign reading, “When women vote, women win.”

“That was the spirit of this thing, and it was unfortunate that the senator — and whoever gave him the platform — didn't respect the original purpose of the gathering,” she said. “I was disturbed enough that when the senator spoke I took a break from the rally and went elsewhere.” Tanna Clews, CEO of the NH Foundation for Women, was slated to be the first speaker at Seacoast March for Women, held on the steps of the city’s North Church. But when she arrived to see Sanders’ team setting up a sound system, it suddenly felt too much like a political rally instead of a march for women, she said in a social media posting.
In the days following the debate, the Sanders campaign vetted the prospect of having Warren serve as both the vice president and the Treasury secretary, according to an Intercept report.

The Sanders campaign made a direct appeal to women voters on Saturday through author and activist Naomi Klein, a surrogate for the Sanders campaign, who introduced him at the march and other events throughout the day. "Women understand that Bernie has their backs and women understand that the issues cannot be pried apart — that they are women's issues,” Klein said at the march. “When we fight unjust wars we are fighting for women and children, when we fight climate change we are fighting for women and children.”
For his part, Sanders told the crowd of a few hundred gathered for the march that men and women should stick together. He made the argument that a number of issues central to his campaign, like a $15 minimum wage, would help women.

"By the way, men, if you think abortion rights, if you think equal pay for equal work is just a women's issue, you are dead wrong. It is a human issue,” Sanders said. “The men have got to stand with the women. We are all in this together. That's what we are, women and men, gay and straight and Latino. We are in this together."
https://www.politico.com/news/2020/01/1 ... ers-100826
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Warren's campaign waited to drop this issue when they were dropping in the polls and just before the Iowa debate. It just looks too opportunistic to be real.

I guess we shall see how it works out.
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

Bernie is still my 1st choice although I'd be fine with Warren as well. Guess I could have written the same thing in '16. All the issues Bernie is seeking to address are even worth now than four years ago. I really hate to see Sanders and Warren get into the mud about the he-said/she-said comments he did or didn't make; for the most part the two of them run clean campaigns and any infighting between them only helps the Reptiliods.
"Guns themselves are fairly robust; their chief enemies are rust and politicians." Geoffrey Boothroyd

Now somebody that should have kept their mouth shut. Hillary Clinton has come out and blasted Sanders.
In an upcoming four-hour documentary series on Hulu former Democratic presidential nominee Hillary Clinton blasts Sen. Bernie Sanders, her 2016 rival for the party’s nod.

“He was in Congress for years. He had one senator support him. Nobody likes him, nobody wants to work with him, he got nothing done. He was a career politician. It’s all just baloney and I feel so bad that people got sucked into it,” Clinton reportedly says in the docuseries, as The Hollywood Reporter reveals during an interview with the former U.S. Secretary of State.

Asked if she will endorse and campaign for Sanders should he get the Democratic Party’s nomination this year, Clinton would not say, but she took the opportunity to expand on her concerns.

“I’m not going to go there yet,” Clinton told THR. “We’re still in a very vigorous primary season. I will say, however, that it’s not only him, it’s the culture around him. It’s his leadership team. It’s his prominent supporters. It’s his online Bernie Bros and their relentless attacks on lots of his competitors, particularly the women. And I really hope people are paying attention to that because it should be worrisome that he has permitted this culture — not only permitted, [he] seems to really be very much supporting it. And I don’t think we want to go down that road again where you campaign by insult and attack and maybe you try to get some distance from it, but you either don’t know what your campaign and supporters are doing or you’re just giving them a wink and you want them to go after Kamala [Harris] or after Elizabeth [Warren]. I think that that’s a pattern that people should take into account when they make their decisions.”

Calling it “a very personal attack,” Clinton also responded to Sanders’ recent dustup with Sen. Elizabeth Warren.

She says, “this argument about whether or not or when he did or didn’t say that a woman couldn’t be elected, it’s part of a pattern. If it were a one-off, you might say, ‘OK, fine.’ But he said I was unqualified. I had a lot more experience than he did, and got a lot more done than he had, but that was his attack on me. I just think people need to pay attention because we want, hopefully, to elect a president who’s going to try to bring us together, and not either turn a blind eye, or actually reward the kind of insulting, attacking, demeaning, degrading behavior that we’ve seen from this current administration.”

Clinton also took some time to talk about President Donald Trump.

“He’s worse” than she had anticipated, but she has some solace: “There are some people who just can’t give me up. I live rent-free in his head.”
https://www.rawstory.com/2020/01/clint ... hing-done/

Sounds like she is still pissed about him running in the last election and is blaming him for her loss, instead of blaming he campaign for taking some states for granted.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

I reject HRC's reality and substitute my own.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

The media always drags out someone with a contrarian opinion. Controversy sells newspapers and causes more clicks on websites - it's a revenue game.

The DNC...helping the Democrats loose another election...
They just never learn do they, and with the stakes so high this time it's very worrying what "4 more years" of Trump will bring.
Expect attacks on Social Security (privatization), the erosion of protections for the Environment, the War on Reproductive Rights and women, dismantling of
legislation on LGBTQ issues and more tax breaks for the 1%.
It would be so nice to have HRC out of politics, because it's more important to justify the past as she poisons the future.
Those who make peaceful revolution impossible, make violent revolution inevitable.

Does anyone wonder who agrees with HRC enough to hate Sanders now?

I think AOC's endorsement tells me something else. Non-wealthy women may not care what HRC says.

Clearly this was planned to happen just before Iowa. Wall Street backed Hillary so will E. Warren say anything to back Sanders? :lol:

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

Heard one reporter comment that Bernie is not perfect and from what she knows of Sanders, she believes Warren about Bernie's supposed comment that a woman couldn't win the WH. It's always been that if you really want to find out about politicians ask reporters or someone on their security detail. I'm not saying that HRC is correct though she too was a US senator, but there was a lot of bad blood during the 2016 campaign. Politicians aren't saints, they don't forgive and forget.

I don't think Bernie is perfect...far from it. But even if it happened, why not make an issue of it when it happened? Why the delay?

I still think all this helps Biden, which is probably why Clinton is spinning it.

"Person, woman, man, camera, TV."

No one is perfect, but Bernie has a public track record of fighting for the little guy--which is why he has not much to show for it in a neoliberal economy, i.e. trickle up economics (Biden and HRC).

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

Other than guns and chromosomes, I think Bernie and Warren are more alike than not. But when they pull this bullshit, they are just elevating Biden.

it's an uphill battle for a woman OR a social democrat to win the white house. big hairy deal. are we having fun yet? :yahoo:
Last edited by lurker on Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
i'm retired. what's your excuse?

Yeah, they are both putting ego before party. One of them should have called a truce by now. The reason they appealed to many voters was they were above this bs...now they look like the thing they are running against. Unless Major Pete can steal a win, I think Biden gets it now.

lurker wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:58 pm it's an uphill battle for a woman OR a social democrat to win the white house. big hairy deal. you say biden won't generate enough excitement? think of the excitement you'll get when ronald mac donald the clown wins and his ham burglars start breaking down doors and arresting his opponents. will that be enough excitement? are we having fun yet? :yahoo:
You have a point. But why do I have to vote for a guy who wants to take away our ability to resist the next tyrant? Don't any of you think Trump is the sole anomaly we'll experience.

Sen. Bernie Sanders apologized Monday night for an op-ed written by a campaign supporter that argued former Vice President Joe Biden “has a big corruption problem.”

In an interview in Iowa with CBS News, Sanders said “it is absolutely not my view that Joe is corrupt in any way. And I'm sorry that that op-ed appeared."

Biden quickly accepted Sanders' apology, writing in a tweet, "Thanks for acknowledging this, Bernie. These kinds of attacks have no place in this primary. Let’s all keep our focus on making Donald Trump a one-term president."
Sanders' vocal speechwriter David Sirota shared the op-ed, written by associate Fordham University law professor Zephyr Teachout, to an email list of supporters Monday morning. The email highlighted that “In one passage, she asks ‘When he pushed for cuts to Social Security, was he (Biden) serving donors or his constituents?’”
Sanders spent the weekend, in conversations with reporters, hitting his top rival for previously supporting cuts to Social Security, while also stressing that Biden “is a decent person. He's a friend of mine, and people like him.”

“And we're not going to make personal attacks on Joe Biden,” Sanders said Sunday afternoon.
https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2020-e ... k-n1119036

Sorry to say but it will probably continue to be a slug fest, not necessarily from the candidates but their campaigns and supporters. I don't know if it benefits any candidate.

featureless wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:03 pm You have a point. But why do I have to vote for a guy who wants to take away our ability to resist the next tyrant? Don't any of you think Trump is the sole anomaly we'll experience.
caught me mid-edit. just as well.
i can't answer your question, except to say that i don't like the way the issues are bundled either. we'll have to rely on the courts to reel gun control legislation in no matter who wins the oval office.
i'm retired. what's your excuse?

lurker wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:10 pm
featureless wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:03 pm You have a point. But why do I have to vote for a guy who wants to take away our ability to resist the next tyrant? Don't any of you think Trump is the sole anomaly we'll experience.
caught me mid-edit. just as well.
i can't answer your question, except to say that i don't like the way the issues are bundled either. we'll have to rely on the courts to reel gun control legislation in no matter who wins the oval office.
I'm just messing with you. I know it bothers you, too. :)