Re: Kamala Harris 2020

highdesert wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 12:23 pm
....................................... We just need a smarter internet. :lol:
Jeezus, I'm glad I didn't have a mouth full of coffee !!! :roflmao:

And I'm haven't even started drinking today.

You can't blame the internet - it's the users. :beer2:
"Being Republican is more than a difference of opinion - it's a character flaw." "COVID can fix STUPID!"
The greatest, most aggrieved mistake EVER made in USA was electing DJT as POTUS.

Harris is an establishment candidate, it's just that her establishment might look different than what you have in your state. She wouldn't be senator otherwise.

"Person, woman, man, camera, TV."

K9s wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:33 pm And, of course, twitter bots are going after Kamala and pushing Gabbard. Probably the same bots that pushed Yang at the beginning. Not saying Gabbard or Yang are bad.

https://www.vox.com/recode/2019/8/2/207 ... ots-google
Reports on MSNBC are that the bots are Russian and Gabbard is a totally unwitting dupe of them. Putin wants to sow discord among Dems to further weaken and discredit our election processes.
Gabbards' a total fuckin' fool!
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

Gabbard questions imperialism and endless wars like no other candidate. I like that she brings it up, but the media doesn't like that about her. She has a lot of issues that I don't like. Perfect person for RussiaBots to push in the twitterverse, I guess.

Kamala is going to have to battle the bots (and Don Jr) because Trump is too cowardly to go after her policies.
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

senorgrand wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 1:11 pm Harris is an establishment candidate, it's just that her establishment might look different than what you have in your state. She wouldn't be senator otherwise.
She hasn't faced a tough campaign for years, she basically walked into the US Senate seat. Newsom wanted the governorship, Villaraigosa vacillated and ended up challenging Newsom and Harris chose the open senate seat. She had token Dem opposition from Loretta Sanchez nothing major. Presidential level politics is different.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Marlene wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:50 am She’s a fucking cop. I don’t give a fuck what she thinks about guns.
Marlene - if you ever run for any office I can vote for, you have my vote. Period.

joemac wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 3:33 pm
Marlene wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:50 am She’s a fucking cop. I don’t give a fuck what she thinks about guns.
Marlene - if you ever run for any office I can vote for, you have my vote. Period.
Marlene for Governor!
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

LA Times article on Harris' time as CA AG.
Critics suspected a political motive behind Harris’ stand against state probes of the L.A. and San Francisco police shootings.

“When she was running for attorney general, she was already running for president,” Weills said. “It’s a very calculated process. For her to start to alienate the whole law enforcement establishment by taking on these investigations … it might have destroyed her career.”

A 2015 bill, which failed to pass, would have required the attorney general to appoint a special prosecutor to take on cases involving police use of deadly force. Harris decline to support it.
https://www.latimes.com/politics/story/ ... ves-matter
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Marlene wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:39 am Or she could just actually believe that part. When people show you who they are, believe them.
Yup, after years as a prosecutor her record is there for everyone to see. She can spin it like every politician but facts are facts.

From Nate Silver at 538.
Polls since last week’s Democratic debate haven’t shown the sort of dramatic swings that we saw after Round 1 — but they do show some shifts. In particular, they show further downward movement for Kamala Harris, who had already lost much of her bounce following the first debate.

So far, there have been five national polls conducted entirely after the debate that allow for a direct comparison to an earlier poll by the same pollster. These are the polls from Quinnipiac University, Ipsos, Morning Consult, YouGov and HarrisX. Because I’m feeling a little fancy — and because these polls are something of a mixed bag in terms of sample size and quality — I weighted the polls based on sample size and the pollster’s rating, as we do for our Trump approval tracker and in our election models. Here is the before-and-after comparison for each candidate between the post-debate polls and the most recent pre-debate polls from the same polling firms. [SEE LINK]

Harris was in the single digits in all five post-debate polls and was off by nearly 3 percentage points on average as compared with the pre-debate polls. Earlier this week, I discussed how Harris seems to be stuck in between Joe Biden, on the one hand, and Elizabeth Warren and Bernie Sanders on her other, more-left leaning hand. And that’s starting to show up in the numbers. If you look at the Quinnipiac poll, for instance, there’s no single group of Democrats — say, wealthy or young or black Democrats — among whom Harris is polling at any higher than 10 percent, whereas Biden, Warren and Sanders all have fairly distinctive bases.
https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/po ... -slipping/

I guess she banked some money for her eventual next step some day. Or, she is hoping to be VP?

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

K9s wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 5:52 pm I guess she banked some money for her eventual next step some day. Or, she is hoping to be VP?
Hopefully neither. She and Gavin are peas in a pod...

K9s wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 5:52 pm I guess she banked some money for her eventual next step some day. Or, she is hoping to be VP?
Or maybe she returns to CA after Gavin is termed out to run for governor. Becoming a VEEP nominee is totally up to the eventual PRES nominee, often to balance a ticket. And usually a very thorough vetting.

highdesert wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 7:17 pm
Or maybe she returns to CA after Gavin is termed out to run for governor. Becoming a VEEP nominee is totally up to the eventual PRES nominee, often to balance a ticket. And usually a very thorough vetting.
Yup. She could probably get appointee as the UC chancelor or something until Gavin goes away.

Democratic presidential candidate Kamala Harris unveiled a proposal Monday to broadly reform the criminal justice system aimed at ending mass incarceration, helping felons reintegrate into society and increasing oversight of police and prosecutors.

The senator and former California attorney general plans to legalize marijuana, eliminate the death penalty for federal crimes, end federal mandatory minimum sentencing, scrap the cash-bail system, reduce the incarceration of juveniles, stop the use of private prisons and clear the nationwide rape kit backlog during her first term.

Many of these proposals would have been considered radical a decade ago, but are broadly in line with Democratic leanings today.
Harris’ proposal is of special interest because her candidacy is largely based on her background as an Alameda County prosecutor, San Francisco district attorney and California attorney general. Critics have accused Harris of failing to do enough to protect defendants and poor people while she worked in law enforcement, a criticism she has dismissed as overblown.
Rivals for the Democratic nomination, including Sens. Elizabeth Warren, Bernie Sanders and Cory Booker, have released plans similar to Harris’. Harris’ backers argue that her plan goes further because it would fundamentally change how criminal justice is administered in the United States.
https://www.latimes.com/politics/story/ ... th-penalty

Oh goodie. All that progressive justice system reform she failed to do while CA attorney general? She'll get right on it once president. She promises.

Harris ran up against a fact checker about a town hall statement.
During a climate town hall on CNN this week, Democratic presidential candidate and California Sen. Kamala Harris vowed to take on Big Oil and other powerful interests when they "profit off of harmful behaviors" such as burning fossil fuels.

In answer to a direct question, she claimed she already did that as California’s attorney general.

"So, Senator Harris, what would you do? Would you sue them? Sue Exxon Mobil?" asked moderator Erin Burnett.

"I have sued Exxon Mobil," Harris replied.

Did she?

Environmental groups questioned her response.

We decided to fact check it.

Our research

We found Harris’ office investigated Exxon in 2016 over allegations it lied to the public and its shareholders about the risk to its business from climate change. The Los Angeles Times detailed that probe in a January 2016 news article. It said Exxon rejected the allegations.

But there’s no public record, and nothing that Harris’ campaign could provide, to show she filed a lawsuit against the company.

"The facts are Harris opened an investigation against Exxon for lying about climate change. She didn’t take that further even though she should have and other attorney generals did," said Kassie Siegel, climate director at the Center for Biological Diversity Action Fund. "She did bring some cases against oil companies. I’m not aware of a case that she actually brought against Exxon. And she didn’t bring the case against Exxon for lying about climate change."

Ian Sams, a campaign spokesman for Harris, told us she "launched an investigation into Exxon," but he would not directly address her claim that she sued the company.

He told The New York Times that, "as attorney general (Harris) sued Chevron, BP, ConocoPhillips and Phillips 66 for pollution activities, helping win $50 million in settlements." Sams provided PolitiFact California with links to articles and news releases supporting those actions.

In their own fact checks, the Times and CNN reported they found no evidence supporting Harris’ claim that she sued Exxon.

"As Cal AG, Harris opened a file shortly after the #ExxonKnew news broke in fall 2015. She never did anything with it," RL Miller, chair of the California Democratic Party's environmental caucus and president of the Climate Hawks Vote Super PAC, said on Twitter during the town hall.

Our rating

Sen. Kamala Harris claimed at a recent climate town hall that she "sued Exxon Mobil" as California attorney general.

She opened an investigation into the oil giant over allegations it was lying to the public and its shareholders about climate change. But there’s no public evidence, or any from her campaign, that she ever filed a lawsuit against the company.

Harris did sue other oil companies and win settlements over allegations they violated various state laws governing hazardous materials, according to information provided by her campaign. But none of that includes a lawsuit against Exxon.

Harris clearly tangled with Big Oil as California AG. There’s just no record she sued one of the industry’s biggest companies, Exxon.

We rate her claim False.

FALSE – The statement is not accurate.
https://www.politifact.com/california/s ... alifornia/

Kamala campaign sent this today:
A staffer for Tom Steyer, a billionaire who has already spent tens of millions of his own dollars to boost his candidacy, stole our campaign’s data in South Carolina. Our organizers have spent months building one of the strongest operations in the state, so we were outraged to learn Steyer’s team had taken volunteer contacts -- some of our campaign’s most valuable data -- directly from the voter file.
Recent article says:

Tom Steyer aide resigns after accessing Kamala Harris volunteer data
https://www.cnn.com/2019/11/05/politics ... index.html
A staffer on Tom Steyer's presidential campaign in South Carolina resigned late Monday after accessing volunteer data from Kamala Harris' presidential campaign.

The Steyer campaign announced the resignation of Dwane Sims, the campaign's deputy South Carolina state director, after initially placing him on administrative leave over the weekend. Sims previously worked for the South Carolina Democratic Party as a voter file manager with access to campaigns' proprietary data.

In a statement, Steyer's campaign manager Heather Hargreaves apologized.

"The Steyer campaign takes this issue very seriously. When we first learned about the matter, we conducted an internal investigation and wiped Mr. Sims' computer to make sure the data was completely deleted and that there was no access to other campaign data. We understand the sensitivity and importance of this information," she wrote

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

Confronted by an army of reporters after speaking before 5,000 cheering Democrats in her home state, Sen. Kamala Harris delivered a defiant response to recent media reports that her flagging campaign is crippled by internal disputes and on the ropes.
And early endorsers like Gov. Gavin Newsom and Lt. Gov. Eleni Kounalakis insisted that Harris remains a contender whose fortunes are far from determined in a volatile race.ut in the halls and meeting rooms of the Long Beach Convention Center, many of the battle-scarred Democratic insiders — strategists, elected officials, campaign operatives — had a far more caustic view of her chances, suggesting that Harris’ team has already let slip away her shot at the White House.

Story Continued Below
With California polls strongly suggesting she might not win, place — or even show — in her home state, many privately expressed the view that Harris should begin seriously considering leaving the race to avoid total embarrassment in the state’s early March primary. Her continued weakness in the presidential contest could even have a more damaging effect, several said — encouraging a primary challenger in 2022, when Harris is up for reelection.

“I don’t think she can last until California,’’ says Garry South, a veteran strategist who has advised Newsom and former presidential candidate Joe Lieberman. “I don’t wish her ill, but she’s got a decision to make: you limp in here and get killed in your home state, and it damages your reputation nationally. Or you pull out before the primary like Jerry Brown did in 1980 … and you at least avoid the spectacle of being decisively rejected.”

Candidates have until late December to formally pull their names off the March 3 primary ballot in California. But some suggest Harris can withdraw from the presidential contest after Iowa if she fares poorly there — which would leave her on the California ballot, but enable her to justify the acute embarrassment of a distant finish in California by having left the race weeks beforehand.

A battering in California “would bespeak of weakness..and could embolden some billionaire with visions,’’ said South, perhaps a monied business executive — or even a wealthy activist like Tom Steyer, whose own presidential candidacy is viewed as a longshot and who has toyed in the past with a run for US Senate. Interviews with a half-dozen veteran Democratic campaign insiders at the convention who spoke on condition of anonymity — many out of fear of angering a sitting senator — echoed South’s view.

“It's not happening,’’ said one leading grassroots organizer working the campaign floor, speaking not for attribution. “She has her chance [to leave the race]...she should take it.”

“Of course she should get out..but who’s gonna tell her?’’ agreed one leading Democratic strategist, who declined to speak on the record. Harris has told California insiders she is determined to stay in the race through Iowa, said the strategist, who added the real concern was reports of team members who are apparently beginning to snipe at each other and lay blame anonymously in various media outlets.
Newsom waved off headlines about Harris’ collapse, and said he’s headed off on the campaign trail to assess the situation — and is determined to help her.
https://www.politico.com/news/2019/11/1 ... out-071329