Re: Trump in 2020

YankeeTarheel wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:57 am Yup, and while it's early days, it seems the failure of the main justification used for decades for 2A, to deter and prevent government tyranny, that no would-be tyrant dare go against an armed populace, is the opposite of what's happening on the ground. And the biggest proponents of that, are standing mute while their fellow citizens are being clubbed, gassed, and shot by the tyrant's thugs. There's even some evidence these assholes are NOT government employees, but contract thugs, private armies hired by DHS.

Where are the "tough guys", the "real men" now?
Unfortunately many are standing and applauding a President who stands for Law & Order.
To be vintage it must be older than me!
The next gun I buy will be the next to last gun I ever buy. PROMISE!
jim

sig230 wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 9:04 am
YankeeTarheel wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:57 am Yup, and while it's early days, it seems the failure of the main justification used for decades for 2A, to deter and prevent government tyranny, that no would-be tyrant dare go against an armed populace, is the opposite of what's happening on the ground. And the biggest proponents of that, are standing mute while their fellow citizens are being clubbed, gassed, and shot by the tyrant's thugs. There's even some evidence these assholes are NOT government employees, but contract thugs, private armies hired by DHS.

Unfortunately many are standing and applauding a President who stands for Law & Order.
"Free-birty" and waving Confed flags.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

sig230 wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 9:04 am

Yup the dangers of divide and conquer and playing the Law and Order card, that followers think their rights are absolute but the rights of others should be restricted. Not just played by those on the right.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

wings wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:30 am Those local elections are critical. There will be no progressive revolution without getting every Dem in every local office you can, first. Yeah, the price we pay for universal health care, progressive taxation, police reform and no more concentration camps might be long magazines and folding stocks, but priorities, guys.
I agree local elections are critical. I disagree that the dem party is the answer to universal healthcare, progressive taxation, police reform and concentration camps.

I'll toss California out as the example. Lots of gun control and no meaningful progress on those other items despite democratic majority or supermajority for years and years. Until we get big money out of it, we'll continue to eat crumbs and like it. I'll admit California politics are better than many, but it's no panacea. We've got plenty of people living on the streets, plenty of people without enough to eat, plenty of people without healthcare and plenty of people in jail. Just like Republican county, nonwhite people are disproportionately carrying the shit sandwich load.

Similar opinion on CA, after years of domination by Democrats in Sacramento I don't see serious problems improving. They love to go after the "low hanging fruit" like passing more gun laws, because gun owners aren't a threat to them politically. Gun owners don't stand up to them so CA Democrats have vilified guns and their owners so we're slightly above pedophiles. My county is purple, it's gone Democratic in the last few presidential years, but Republicans are strong in local politics. So my state assembly and senate members are Republicans along with the member of congress. Democrats haven't been successful, it's the candidates they nominate.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Almost every person elected as a Republican has supported 45. A few began to leave a few days ago. Now it's too late. Here is exclusive video of the Republican Party and this election. I put the link because the comments enhance the 51 second experience.

https://old.reddit.com/r/Whatcouldgowro ... a_glacier/

I mean, check the title there. The R's knew going in they were riding bikes down a glacier. Now they will wander in the wilderness for 40 years.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

wings wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:15 am Rich Lowry on the Lincoln Project: you can't burn down the party and vote out everyone who supported Trump! There won't be anyone left!
They are directly attacking Trump and Trumpism and a few Republican candidates, but mostly going after the wingnuts that are the true Trumpers. And they're trying to wake up the bulk of Republicans who held their noses and just voted Republican. Liberal New England Republicans and Rockefeller Republicans are almost extinct creatures, the Reaganite purists pushed them out and they became independents or conservative Democrats. The Reaganites are imperiled by the Trumper purists and so it goes. But the people behind Lincoln Project are Republicans or independents who were former Republicans, they aren't looking to take the party back to Eisenhower, W would be fine. Steve Schmidt and Mike Madrid are likely to get booted from the CA Republican Party, but the CRA is probably farther to the right than most state Republican parties.

Former RNC Chairman Michael Steele delivered some straight talk to those who have been listening to Donald Trump instead of medical experts, telling them that their refusal to take the coronavirus seriously could cost their life.

“For those who don’t think this is serious, those who think that this is some made up China virus that was imported into the country … live in that bubble and you will die in that bubble,” he said.

Steele continued, “I can’t help your stupidity at this point. That’s your risk. It won’t be mine.”
https://www.politicususa.com/2020/07/30 ... ubble.html

CDFingers

Lincoln Project ads - a comedian doing Trump, he's good. He does Trump supporting vulnerable Republican senators -Steve Daines of Montana; Dan Sullivan of Alaska; and Susan Collins of Maine.

Collins
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HqIiCkAYLT8

Sullivan
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RbZ2GUPmjM4

Daines
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxFyemKp-kk

Republican Voters Against Trump is another anti-Trump group running ads. This is especially good.

Before They Sucked Up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAcs2qF ... e=emb_logo

CDF linked to a video by Rep Vets Against Trump on the Biden thread, it appears the video was produced by Republican Voters Against Trump.
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/worl ... 58371.html

As an immigrant and a person of color, I am genuinely scared for the election. Wife and I walk around our small town here in the upper Midwest and all we see are Trump Pence signs and Flags. Yes, flags. People have flags flying from condo balconies and even big flags in their yard asking us to Keep America First.

A few weeks ago a pop-up shop appeared at the corner of a busy intersection here. It was the "Trump Shop" that sold flags, signs and other knick knacks. Now they've moved to a store on main street. I'll send pics when I can.

I think 2020 is going to be closer than imagined. I hope I am wrong.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk

I was horrified but bemused to see so many signs for him in the deepest rural stretches of south Ohio back in 2016. It illustrated why he was ahead in the polls in the state, though. We have a lot of tiny, fading rural farm towns with little to offer the modern economy but labor, marijuana and meth.

They're popping up again along the route to the range this year. Then again, Ohio tends to run close. 2016 was a fluke in that regard.

There are 196 electoral votes in the National Popular Vote Interstate Compact right now - states that have agreed to hijack the Electoral College by awarding their state votes to the national popular vote winner, whoever it turns out to be and regardless of the vote in-state. There are 64 more states pending - if it passed there, we'd be at 260. Then all it takes is one of: MN, MI, WI, or NC, among states leaning D this year. I don't think we'll get there this year, but maybe in time for 2024. Assuming.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_ ... te_Compact

wings wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 1:56 pm I was horrified but bemused to see so many signs for him in the deepest rural stretches of south Ohio back in 2016. It illustrated why he was ahead in the polls in the state, though. We have a lot of tiny, fading rural farm towns with little to offer the modern economy but labor, marijuana and meth.

They're popping up again along the route to the range this year. Then again, Ohio tends to run close. 2016 was a fluke in that regard.

There are 196 electoral votes in the National Popular Vote Interstate Compact right now - states that have agreed to hijack the Electoral College by awarding their state votes to the national popular vote winner, whoever it turns out to be and regardless of the vote in-state. There are 64 more states pending - if it passed there, we'd be at 260. Then all it takes is one of: MN, MI, WI, or NC, among states leaning D this year. I don't think we'll get there this year, but maybe in time for 2024. Assuming.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_ ... te_Compact
I'm intrigued by by this National Popular Vote Interstate Compact. It seems like the most logical way of ending the republican lock on the electoral college since constitutional reform is a pipe dream. A good article about the electoral college appeared today in Alternet.
Of all the institutions in American politics, the Electoral College is surely the strangest. It never worked as its designers intended, and for more than 200 years, generations of aspiring reformers have lambasted its distortions and mounted heroic campaigns to replace it. And yet it still stands, only slightly modified, in all its Rube Goldberg curiosity. Which begs the obvious question that titles the Harvard historian Alexander Keyssar’s new book, Why Do We Still Have the Electoral College?
https://www.alternet.org/2020/08/the-el ... aken-down/
Last edited by harriss on Mon Aug 10, 2020 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wings got his counts wrong. The National Popular Vote Compact needs 74 more electoral votes to go into effect--the magic number is 270, not 260. And I think he meant that states totally 64 more EVs are pending--which won't be enough. It must be 74.

There is a question of its Constitutionality, but since the recent SCOTUS decision that Electors MUST vote they way they are pledged to, and states have the right allocate their EVs however they want, it seems to me only a pretzel logic that would give even a Scalia or Rehnquist a ruined intellectual back could over-rule it.

But it would be wonderful and end that idiotic concept that allows the loser to take office.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

Whoops, my bad.

Edit: wait, no. I said we'd get to 260 if the pending states all passed it (196+64 = 260). Then I said we'd still need 10 more, from one of MN, WI, MI, and so on. But to be fair, OH and PA are two of the pending states. Don't hold your breath.

45 will be facing a gnarly brawler. And she's a woman. My guess is she'll clip him at least every week, maybe daily.

Women are considerably better suited to this emotional battling than are men. And 45 wears his insecurities so openly it's like wearing multiple bullseyes for Kamala. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

CDFingers