Re: Michael Bloomberg 2020

The more I learn about Bloomberg the more I think I could not vote for him if he got the nomination. Still defending stop and frisk because he says black kids are more likely to be criminals, and now I've seen a quote where he blamed the 2008 financial collapse on a lack of redlining.

Sickening.
106+ recreational uses of firearms
1 defensive use
0 people injured
0 people killed

lurker wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:01 pm what is "redlining"?
That's what banks used to do. They would pull out a map of the city and draw a red line around the black neighborhoods. Then they would refuse to loan money to anyone living there and refuse to loan money for others buying homes there.

In other words, Bloomberg was saying that the economy wouldn't have collapsed if we simply hadn't been giving loans to black people.

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/politics/b ... c-collapse
WASHINGTON (AP) — At the height of the 2008 economic collapse, then-New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg said the elimination of a discriminatory housing practice known as “redlining” was responsible for instigating the meltdown.

“It all started back when there was a lot of pressure on banks to make loans to everyone,” Bloomberg said at a forum that was hosted by Georgetown University in September 2008. “Redlining, if you remember, was the term where banks took whole neighborhoods and said, ‘People in these neighborhoods are poor, they’re not going to be able to pay off their mortgages, tell your salesmen don’t go into those areas.'”

He continued: “And then Congress got involved — local elected officials, as well — and said, ‘Oh that’s not fair, these people should be able to get credit.’ And once you started pushing in that direction, banks started making more and more loans where the credit of the person buying the house wasn’t as good as you would like.”
106+ recreational uses of firearms
1 defensive use
0 people injured
0 people killed

Eris wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:15 pm
lurker wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:01 pm what is "redlining"?
Bloomberg was saying that the economy wouldn't have collapsed if we simply hadn't been giving loans to black people.
to me that sounds like a pretty stupid assertion on his part.
i'm retired. what's your excuse?

After Bloomberg buys this election and you can't believe what's going on under a supposed Democratic administration please remember not to whine around me because I've told you every way possible that this guy is an asshole and I will berate you harshly.
Let me repeat myself for those of you on drugs... this guy's an asshole.
I: ALL GUNS ARE ALWAYS LOADED
II: NEVER LET THE MUZZLE COVER ANYTHING YOU ARE NOT WILLING TO DESTROY
III: KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER UNTIL YOUR SIGHTS ARE ON THE TARGET
IV: BE SURE OF YOUR TARGET AND WHAT'S BEHIND IT

Bloomberg (Still) Wants to Cut Social Security
Of all the Democrats contending for the presidential nomination, Michael Bloomberg is the worst choice to debate Donald Trump on an overwhelmingly important issue: Social Security’s future. Bloomberg’s position on Social Security is to the right of Trump’s stated position — and widely out of step with even Republican voters, let alone Democrats.

Bloomberg has a long history of supporting cuts to Social Security, including raising the retirement age. He’s disparaged Social Security, one of the most popular and successful government programs in history, by comparing it to Bernie Madoff’s Ponzi scheme. He was an enthusiastic supporter of the Bowles-Simpson austerity commission, which tried to jam through huge Social Security cuts behind closed doors.

Now, Bloomberg is running to be the Democratic nominee for President — even though he was a Republican for years, and only became a Democrat in 2018. For months, Bloomberg was the only major candidate without a Social Security plan. Now, he’s finally released one.

Social Security is just another reason I'd have a hard time voting for Bloomberg in addition to his funding of Everytown. He has a paternalistic attitude like Trump, that he made his fortune so he knows what is best for others. Yes a Democrat, a Republican, an Independent and back to Democrat, can he connect with voters outside of major metro areas? Social Security and Medicare like revisions to ACA will ultimately be fought out in Congress.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

K9s wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:21 pm Bloomberg might be high in a lot of state polls, but probably not big with primary voters. I agree. He won't last.
I fervently hope you're right! Supporting Bloomberg would be another classic case of the D's leadership failing Electoral College Math 101. He seems like the candidate most likely not to bring back Obama/Trump voters AND to turn off much of the D's base. Since they either need to get a bunch of swing voters in the Midwest or run an awesome get-out-the-vote campaign of the base in those states (or, ideally, both), that looks like a nightmare scenario. I'd expect both Bernie and Warren voters to be seriously discouraged about voting for Bloomberg.

Democracy Now's broadcast yesterday morning had a long piece about Bloomberg buying silence and support from pro-D groups (and from the NY state R party immediately after he broke with them). It sounds like he has a huge amount of support sewn up from his years of contributions. One of the interviewees was the author of a report chapter on NYC police dept's anti-Muslim surveillance that was suppressed by the Center for American Progress, and is now a DNC superdelegate. She says Bloomberg has asked to meet with her, presumably to spew apologia and dangle the prospect of future contributions, but that she hasn't talked to him (yet), and suggests that he's buttering up other superdelegates. Transcript begins here:
https://www.democracynow.org/2020/2/17/ ... n_spending
and continues here:
https://www.democracynow.org/2020/2/17/ ... ng_critics
If you download the audio podcast version instead, the Bloomberg story begins at the 14:45 timestamp after the headlines section.

If I was an electorate of one, my first choice would be Warren. My second would be Bernie, to whom I wrote a couple of small checks in 2016. If I actually lived in a swing state, I'd probably meekly vote for almost any of the other candidates, but Bloomberg would be a bridge too far. Luckily, almost anyone with a pulse and a D by their name should be able to carry WA, so if he was the candidate I could just leave that part of the ballot blank with little worry.
IMR4227: Zero to 900 in 0.001 seconds

I'm only killing paper and my self-esteem.

Tedzilla wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:40 am After Bloomberg buys this election and you can't believe what's going on under a supposed Democratic administration please remember not to whine around me because I've told you every way possible that this guy is an asshole and I will berate you harshly.
Let me repeat myself for those of you on drugs... this guy's an asshole.
I really don't know anyone who is fooled by Bloomberg. I think he scares Republican voters more than Dems. I think his support is soft and won't last past the truth. Let's see how the Super Tuesday states handle it. I am just a bystander here in a late state.

Bloomberg should have run as a Republican against Trump. His digital ads are a mirror of Trump.
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

I am stealing that! My spousal critter was just complaining about getting a bunch of texts from the Bloomberg campaign. Gotta ask her to respond to the next one instead of blocking it.
IMR4227: Zero to 900 in 0.001 seconds

I'm only killing paper and my self-esteem.

I guess they haven't started texting voters here yet? Are these unsolicited?
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

The local dem supervisor is sending me unsolicited texts, which is a little strange, since I'm no longer affiliated with the dem party

"Person, woman, man, camera, TV."

The more I know about Bloomberg, the more I'm convinced the best thing about him (maybe the only good thing) is he's not as bad as Trump. Start with: He's not batshit fucking crazy, and Trump is.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

I live in Florida, arguably the most important swing state this election, and I just could not vote for Bloomberg. He's almost as morally repulsive as Trump, even more of an oligarch, and is far and away the worst candidate on gun rights. I'm not a single issue voter and I've accepted the fact that this election I would be voting against gun rights in exchange for other issues I care about deeply. I was firmly in the "vote blue no matter who" camp, but not Bloomberg. I don't think he'll make it out of the primaries, but then again we said the same thing about Trump and look at where we are.

kronkmusic wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 6:08 am I live in Florida, arguably the most important swing state this election, and I just could not vote for Bloomberg. He's almost as morally repulsive as Trump, even more of an oligarch, and is far and away the worst candidate on gun rights. I'm not a single issue voter and I've accepted the fact that this election I would be voting against gun rights in exchange for other issues I care about deeply. I was firmly in the "vote blue no matter who" camp, but not Bloomberg. I don't think he'll make it out of the primaries, but then again we said the same thing about Trump and look at where we are.
But that's what happened in 2000 with Al Gore, and 2016 with Hillary Clinton. I think 1992 was the last time Florida did NOT go for the winner. It's mathematically possible to defeat Trump without Florida, but damn harder. Remember: Vote Blue to end Trump. ANYTHING is better than Trump, and fixable. Trump is halfway to destroying our Republic and making himself king and autocrat. We can salvage whatever Bloomberg does, legally. I'm not sure we can if we have 4 more years of Trump, McConnell, and, especially, a Republican House. Hitler took six months to disassemble a 14 year old democracy. Trump and McConnell have taken 3 years to almost, but not completely, take down a 133 year old democracy.

If we don't stop them in 2020, we may never be able to do it (legally).
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

Educated Trump is is a false choice.
Racist? Yep
Sexist? Yep (More lawsuits against him than Trump)
Classist? You bet your ass
Authoritarian? Oh yeah.
Due process? Nah. Why bother

This is a false dichotomy fallacy. A Dem senate majority with T in office would be another option, bringing 4 years of total gridlock. A dem majority plus Bloomberg would be fucking awful for this country.
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou