The GOP's nightmare scenario

A growing number of Republicans are privately warning of increasing fears of a total wipeout in 2020: House, Senate, and White House.

https://www.axios.com/republican-party- ... a7537.html
•House Republicans in swing districts are retiring at a very fast pace, especially in the suburbs of Texas and elsewhere. (Republicans talk grimly of the "Texodus.") Rep. Greg Walden — the top Republican on the House Energy and Commerce Committee, and the only Republican in Oregon's congressional delegation — yesterday shocked the party by becoming the 19th GOP House member to not seek re-election.

•The Republican Senate majority, once considered relatively safe, suddenly looks in serious jeopardy. Democrats are raising more money, and polling better, than Republican incumbents in battleground after battleground.

•President Trump trails every major Democratic candidate nationally and in swing states — and his favorable ratings remain well under 50%.
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

Re: The GOP's nightmare scenario

Eris wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:12 pm Honestly, I want the Republicans to hold the Senate. Why? As a bulwark against overzealous gun control. I am more comfortable with divided government than wholly unified government.
1. GOP is the friend of no "rights" and don't care about your guns. GOP senate keeps the oligarchs fat, happy, and well-fed.

2. The fed courts are already 25% Trumpified. SCOTUS is already majority pro-business right-wing.

3. States and right-wing judges will keep any "overzealous gun control" tied up in courts for years. Look at what they did to ACA.
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

Eris wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:12 pm Honestly, I want the Republicans to hold the Senate. Why? As a bulwark against overzealous gun control. I am more comfortable with divided government than wholly unified government.
I’d rather Dems have the Senate, Repubs can keep the House. The Senate gets to confirm judicial appointments, and they have been loading the courts with far right wingers all over the place, even ones who normally don’t qualify to be a judge.
Glad that federal government is boring again.

Stiff wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:34 pm
I’d rather Dems have the Senate, Repubs can keep the House. The Senate gets to confirm judicial appointments, and they have been loading the courts with far right wingers all over the place, even ones who normally don’t qualify to be a judge.
Actually, that would be my preference, too - Republicans in the House - but that isn't going to happen this election cycle.
106+ recreational uses of firearms
1 defensive use
0 people injured
0 people killed

Eris wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:53 pm
Stiff wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:34 pm
Actually, that would be my preference, too - Republicans in the House - but that isn't going to happen this election cycle.
GOP House, huh? Benghazi, Whitewater, and endless nonsense to cut corporate taxes above all else? Not sure how that is an improvement over McConnell.

Seriously, the GOP only cares about "guns" because it gets them votes. They used to claim to care about deficits and free trade and human rights. Why would anyone trust them in power anywhere?

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

"Yeah, guys. Let's be the absolute worst Party we can be by lying to the people while picking their pockets for decades. Let's believe there will be no consequences and we all get rich."

Power to the People who absolutely must participate by voting.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

Eris wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:24 pm I don't trust the Republicans in power. I also don't trust the Democrats in power. Let them fight each other, then so they don't have the time to fight against me.
Yup one party rule doesn't work, they become arrogant and feel they can do anything because they have the power.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

I think there is some chance the Democrats can accomplish a total wipe out in 2020. Republicans I know are, frankly, scared. Didn't want the Orange Stain in the first place. If the Democrats can stop themselves from appointing a Corporate Stooge they could have it all in 2020. It will be fascinating under that circumstance to see how they deal with it beyond grabbing every gun they can find....it'll be put up or shut up time and, frankly, they have taken way to long to get a plan for fixing Health Care, SS, Medicare, etc.

Be careful what ya wish for I guess.

VooDoo
Tyrants disarm the people they intend to oppress.

I am sworn to support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic.

VodoundaVinci wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:49 am It will be fascinating under that circumstance to see how they deal with it beyond grabbing every gun they can find....it'll be put up or shut up time and, frankly, they have taken way to long to get a plan for fixing Health Care, SS, Medicare, etc.
Unfortunately, even if Dems sweep it, I think you're right here. We can expect an AW ban (maybe SCOTUS will have re, reclarified Heller by then and it won't happen. But even then, Dems will pass it and we'll wait another 10 years on the courts) and absolutely no movement on anything else, except maybe some improvement around DACA (i.e., permanence) and a reinstatement on some of Trump's roll-back regulations. Dems can't go too far without tipping the slop trough of the corporate overloads.

I gave up wondering about this sort of stuff. No way will some of the red state dems support sweeping gun control. There are enough of them to block major change for everything.

One party rule isn't equivalent. Dems might tax more and (possibly) take away your 30 round mags, but your parents and kids might not suffer from lack of healthcare, food, or clean water.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

K9s wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:59 pm One party rule isn't equivalent. Dems might tax more and (possibly) take away your 30 round mags, but your parents and kids might not suffer from lack of healthcare, food, or clean water.
You're correct to a point. Just don't expect much to come of healthcare reform. Many of the corporate dems are on the side of status quo, which is really heart breaking. I will take clean air and water, though! Maybe even a little infrastructure?

I guarantee you, that either, or both, the White House and the Senate flips Blue, MoscowMitch and the Orange Dumpster will push through more lifetime appointments between November and January than you ever saw.

And it's up to Schumer to make DAMN sure that Republicans WILL BE PUNISHED FOR IT! (assuming a Dem Senate). Fuck the niceties--strip every GOP state of every DIME of federal funding except for Democratic districts. Make 'em pay where it hurts, and tell 'em why! Re-write the rules on Day 1 so that there is ZERO power for the minority--it's pretty much that way now.

And if, by SOME MIRACLE, the Dems reach 67 seats, or there are few GOPers who want to redeem themselves, tell the House to do mass impeachments of all the incompetent biased crooks MM and the Dumpster forced through! Fuck "precedent"! They went in far too easy, let 'em be thrown out just as easily.

There are no unwritten rules anymore. Rethugs went crazy trashing them in 2009, worse in 2011, and finally overboard in 2015! But they were breaking rules when they impeached Clinton for lying about cheating on his wife, while the GOP leaders were all doing it themselves (Gingrich, LIvingston, Armey, Hyde). There are no more niceties, not till ReThugs learn that if all they want is power, then they'll get NOTHING!
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

YankeeTarheel wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:42 pm I guarantee you, that either, or both, the White House and the Senate flips Blue, MoscowMitch and the Orange Dumpster will push through more lifetime appointments between November and January than you ever saw.

And it's up to Schumer to make DAMN sure that Republicans WILL BE PUNISHED FOR IT! (assuming a Dem Senate). Fuck the niceties--strip every GOP state of every DIME of federal funding except for Democratic districts. Make 'em pay where it hurts, and tell 'em why! Re-write the rules on Day 1 so that there is ZERO power for the minority--it's pretty much that way now.

And if, by SOME MIRACLE, the Dems reach 67 seats, or there are few GOPers who want to redeem themselves, tell the House to do mass impeachments of all the incompetent biased crooks MM and the Dumpster forced through! Fuck "precedent"! They went in far too easy, let 'em be thrown out just as easily.

There are no unwritten rules anymore. Rethugs went crazy trashing them in 2009, worse in 2011, and finally overboard in 2015! But they were breaking rules when they impeached Clinton for lying about cheating on his wife, while the GOP leaders were all doing it themselves (Gingrich, LIvingston, Armey, Hyde). There are no more niceties, not till ReThugs learn that if all they want is power, then they'll get NOTHING!
Those unwritten rules were starting to be trashed with the election of Reagan and Iran Contra when the Congress didn't file impeachment then and remove him from office. The idea that was a rogue operation is a bunch of horseshit. The Leader is responsible for the actions of the people under them.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

YT, I feel the same need for retribution. However, these red areas are mostly poor and uneducated. The Kochs, Mercers, Murdochs, etc are a problem.

Maybe just burden Sinclair, Fox, Salem, and the rest of the far-right-wing media with taxes and regulation so that they go back to Moscow? Revoke all subsidies for fossil fuels and give them to solar, wind, geo, etc? And investigate the Trump judges and see if they can pass a basic legal exam to stay in office? And, of course, overturn Citizens United with sweeping legislation.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

Senate, House and POTUS must be won in 2020. Hopefully with 2/3rds majority in Senate. I want retribution, trials and convictions. I'll worry about guns, if I still need to, come 2024 election cycle. This is the filthiest, most criminal administration in my life time and I want them punished to the max if given the opportunity. Trump, Barr, DeVos, Pence, Pompeo, etal - fuck them all - each and every one!!
"Being Republican is more than a difference of opinion - it's a character flaw." "COVID can fix STUPID!"
The greatest, most aggrieved mistake EVER made in USA was electing DJT as POTUS.

AndyH wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 3:26 pm When's a good time to get the rust off our pitchforks?
October 2020, after the big fake autumn surprise from William Barr and his fake news factory?
Wino wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:15 pm Senate, House and POTUS must be won in 2020. Hopefully with 2/3rds majority in Senate. I want retribution, trials and convictions. I'll worry about guns, if I still need to, come 2024 election cycle. This is the filthiest, most criminal administration in my life time and I want them punished to the max if given the opportunity. Trump, Barr, DeVos, Pence, Pompeo, etal - fuck them all - each and every one!!
Yes, but not the red states with blue cities. Punish the real criminals, bring back the Fairness Doctrine, and end Citizens United.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

K9s wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:12 pm YT, I feel the same need for retribution. However, these red areas are mostly poor and uneducated. The Kochs, Mercers, Murdochs, etc are a problem.

Maybe just burden Sinclair, Fox, Salem, and the rest of the far-right-wing media with taxes and regulation so that they go back to Moscow? Revoke all subsidies for fossil fuels and give them to solar, wind, geo, etc? And investigate the Trump judges and see if they can pass a basic legal exam to stay in office? And, of course, overturn Citizens United with sweeping legislation.
Reenact the Fairness doctrine. Also require it to be equal in time slots on broadcast media. No putting you favs in the prime time and the others in at 4 am. Include the internet required to be responsible for actions caused by their information without needing prolonged court action. ie infowars and sandy hook.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

Wino wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:15 pm Senate, House and POTUS must be won in 2020. Hopefully with 2/3rds majority in Senate. I want retribution, trials and convictions. I'll worry about guns, if I still need to, come 2024 election cycle. This is the filthiest, most criminal administration in my life time and I want them punished to the max if given the opportunity. Trump, Barr, DeVos, Pence, Pompeo, etal - fuck them all - each and every one!!
+1

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack