Re: Taurus 942 - Problems with Cylinder Locking up trying to dry-fire spent casing

wooglin wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 1:56 pm Unless when you say you're pulling back the hammer with your right thumb, you're a lefty, you'll get better results using your the thumb on your support hand. Better control and better handle on what's going on. Not to be condescending, but you said something similarly confusing yesterday so I thought I'd put it out there.
Great point-- I am a righty, and generally, that would be true, I had read that, and that is how I usually cock the Rough Rider-- holding it in my dominant hand and cocking it with my left.

There were two reasons I didn't do that yesterday. The first one was, from an SD perspective, I wanted to ask myself, "How confident do I feel cocking the gun with the same hand if I had to-- say, if I were holding a dog or my phone with my left? (Answer: Very confident, far easier than I thought.)

The second reason is that the arthritis in my left hand is considerably worse than the arthritis in my right hand, and it was particularly bad last night.

I will try cocking with my left hand again at home with the gun empty, but for me, it does seem like it's easier to cock with the right hand than with the left. I am now wondering if this is why I thought the trigger was heavier earlier in the week-- I was mostly cocking the gun with my left hand while holding it in my right. I have tried a few different angles, using different parts of my thumb, but I can experiment more. (The plastic drywall anchors arrived today.)

Shooting the .380 Makarov was really sobering-- actually painful in my right hand. There really is a valid reason for going to a lower caliber, because physically, I could shoot the .22 Taurus all day.