Re: Taurus snubbies

Bisbee wrote:Nice truck revolver, Invitvs! Bet it feels as comfortable as a well worn leather wallet in the hands.
Feels and shoots great. It’s almost “too nice”
For a truck gun - but it remains my most inexpensive, centerfire, suitable for self-defense revolver. If I get a great deal on a S&W shield 9mm sometime in the future - I’ll probably throw that in there instead. I would not cry as much about a polymer framed, easily replaceable semi-auto. S&W Shield used to be my “airline travel gun.” But I traded mine off for a log-splitter during Covid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

INVICTVS138 wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 3:36 pm
FrontSight wrote:The experience of this mansplainer is that pretty much everyone shoots a semi-auto better than they shoot revolvers. There are always exceptions, but I'd at least invite someone to try and consider. But if a revolver is just your thing, then by all means carry a revolver!!

While I don't carry revolvers for defense anymore, I will admit I prefer shooting revolvers whenever possible.
I would generally agree with a few caveats. Most “new(er)” pistol shooters can shoot a duty sized or compact sized (not sub compact or micro) semi-auto pistol better. I say this as an instructor having trained several dozen brand new pistol shooters.

However, I’m one of the few in the likely tiny minority category where it’s probably a wash. I just went to the range this weds and shot my Ruger SP 101 (shooting .38 special decently hot hand-loads) “just about as well” as my Cz 83 .32 ACP. By most people’s accounts the CZ has a better SA trigger, and is a heavier pistol for a fairly low power caliber. I like shooting both!!!

However, I say this being a revolver shooter for well over a decade to “become proficient” (yet not master) it, and a former USPSA revolver division competitor.

So with time & experience you can become roughly equivalent. But in my experience it does take some time. So for the vast majority of people a “compact” 9x19 (or similar) is the most versatile defensive/EDC pistol, with the most common ammo.

If OP wants to carry a revolver and has the time to if not maste but become proficient at typical defensive ranges with it; the training cost and ammo cost are in my view; more important than Taurus vs S&W vs Ruger …etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I love my Sp101 and am carrying it every day. I'm more comfortable with it than even the new Max-9 I got. The more I shoot it the more I like it. It always goes bang too!
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing,”

The 942 arrived, though I have not shot it yet and am inexperienced enough that the little basis I have for comparison may not even be useful.

It arrived totally without any lubrication, metal tolerances are so tight that the cylinder can barely be closed with spent casing in the chambers, though as Bisbee noted in another thread, .22 LR casings are more likely to be deformed. Closes perfectly with live rounds, as if it were empty. Fit and finish are very good, though initially, I can feel some kind of friction in every moving part, guess that's what's called 'gritty'.

To me, the trigger pull seems heavy-- definitely heavier than the first pull on my Makarov .380, though I know that's apples and oranges. The hammer spring feels very heavy, too-- I can cock it, trap the hammer with my thumb, pull the trigger, and slowly decock it with 65-year-old arthritic hands, but it's not something I'd like to try at home with the gun loaded, at least not yet. I can do it about 10 times in a row before my hand starts to hurt. I don't have a good sense of when the transfer bar kicks up-- I wish there was a consistent, loud "click," but sometimes it's loud, sometimes soft, sometimes I can't hear it.

All of those observations could be inexperience. The action is already noticeably smoother and the springs a little looser after just oil and cocking-decocking about 50 times. Awaiting #4 drywall anchors and trip to the range Monday, as dry firing is not possible with spent cartridges.

I think it's stunning in matte stainless, though of course I would think so. Will post photos after it's been to the range and back.

SunRiseWest wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 12:12 am The 942 arrived, though I have not shot it yet and am inexperienced enough that the little basis I have for comparison may not even be useful.

It arrived totally without any lubrication, metal tolerances are so tight that the cylinder can barely be closed with spent casing in the chambers, though as Bisbee noted in another thread, .22 LR casings are more likely to be deformed. Closes perfectly with live rounds, as if it were empty. Fit and finish are very good, though initially, I can feel some kind of friction in every moving part, guess that's what's called 'gritty'.

To me, the trigger pull seems heavy-- definitely heavier than the first pull on my Makarov .380, though I know that's apples and oranges. The hammer spring feels very heavy, too-- I can cock it, trap the hammer with my thumb, pull the trigger, and slowly decock it with 65-year-old arthritic hands, but it's not something I'd like to try at home with the gun loaded, at least not yet. I can do it about 10 times in a row before my hand starts to hurt. I don't have a good sense of when the transfer bar kicks up-- I wish there was a consistent, loud "click," but sometimes it's loud, sometimes soft, sometimes I can't hear it.

All of those observations could be inexperience. The action is already noticeably smoother and the springs a little looser after just oil and cocking-decocking about 50 times. Awaiting #4 drywall anchors and trip to the range Monday, as dry firing is not possible with spent cartridges.

I think it's stunning in matte stainless, though of course I would think so. Will post photos after it's been to the range and back.
I bought a Taurus model 82 and it felt the same when new. I google-foo-ed it and 'some' recommended I take the RH plate off, the one just aft of the trigger clean and lube..which I did and the gun became much smoother and no lock-ups.

About 18:30 of below..good review.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scSKGgok2TA
Last edited by F4FEver on Mon Feb 13, 2023 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Northern wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 12:08 pm Thanks, this is really on point as far as experience with Taurus goes. And I appreciate the perspective regarding what I have felt are reasonable grounds to choose to carry a small revolver rather than a (garbage) micro semi auto that is apparently favored by some mansplainers.
Wow...you might want to watch your tone if you expect to get help from people.
"SF Liberal With A Gun + Free Software Advocate"
http://www.sanfranciscoliberalwithagun.com/
http://www.liberalsguncorner.com/

CowboyT wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 6:01 pm
Northern wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 12:08 pm Thanks, this is really on point as far as experience with Taurus goes. And I appreciate the perspective regarding what I have felt are reasonable grounds to choose to carry a small revolver rather than a (garbage) micro semi auto that is apparently favored by some mansplainers.
Wow...you might want to watch your tone if you expect to get help from people.
No kidding...

It needs to be called out. Mansplaining by giving lectures about how something entirely different than the scope of an OP’s question isn’t helpful, and it’s a lot more disrespectful than calling out the mansplainers.

There’s lots of outdated tech in the shooting world, and if every time someone asks about it they get an earful about something that wasn’t the point of the thread it’s increasingly apparent that a few frequent posts will commandeer any discussion for the sake of the space they take up rather than being “helpful.” Imagine if every thread asking about Mosins involved diatribes about how AR15s get the job done better, every 1911 thread recommends that the OP shoot Glock instead. It’s not just saying “I went that route and here’s what I chose instead,” it’s a strong presumption that an OP hasn’t considered something rather than, say, asking whether they have looked into it.

OK, I'll remember that next time you ask for advice.

"Mansplaining" is a charged word implying specifically sexism, and I have no idea who or what you are, if you're male, female, non-binary, or whatever else...and frankly, I don't care. I'm guessing you're female based on the charged word that you used, but that's only a guess. It'd be like calling you a racist because you responded to a minority like you did. Be careful.

And all the best on your revolver search.
"SF Liberal With A Gun + Free Software Advocate"
http://www.sanfranciscoliberalwithagun.com/
http://www.liberalsguncorner.com/

Northern wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 2:41 pm It needs to be called out. Mansplaining by giving lectures about how something entirely different than the scope of an OP’s question isn’t helpful, and it’s a lot more disrespectful than calling out the mansplainers.

There’s lots of outdated tech in the shooting world, and if every time someone asks about it they get an earful about something that wasn’t the point of the thread it’s increasingly apparent that a few frequent posts will commandeer any discussion for the sake of the space they take up rather than being “helpful.” Imagine if every thread asking about Mosins involved diatribes about how AR15s get the job done better, every 1911 thread recommends that the OP shoot Glock instead. It’s not just saying “I went that route and here’s what I chose instead,” it’s a strong presumption that an OP hasn’t considered something rather than, say, asking whether they have looked into it.
Well, they should, duh....

CowboyT wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 11:49 pm It’d be like calling you a racist because you responded to a minority like you did. Be careful.
Not the same, but yeah, it’s also a pretty common trope for boomer white men to believe that “reverse racism” or “reverse sexism” is a thing.

This forum would do well to reflect on its demographics and the way many regular participants gatekeep. It purports to be “liberal” but it’s also not a very inclusive space. My theory is that when someone asks a question that calls for answers for those with experience, there are regulars who know little about the topic but chime in anyhow, taking up a lot of space, with a stifling effect on participation from others. I think there may be a greater knowledge base among non participating members but they are driven to silence and eventual complete non-participation. I’d like to know how representative this is of the actual brick-and-mortar LGC.

You can easily find my post on the 942 after having shot it, and I will keep updating it as the story unfolds if you want to wade through more detail However, I know you are interested in larger calibers, so I will attempt to confine my comments here to what might be germane to your situation.

I'm having an entirely unexpected light-strike issue that would probably be less of an issue with center fire, but does suggest possible QC problems. I expect this is due to the lack of lubrication I mentioned earlier, possibly also metal debris or other manufacturing debris inside the gun, though that's only a guess based on what others have reported about Taurus. You might encounter a similar issue with, say, an 856.

What was really unexpected was just how good the gun felt in my hands, which are medium-to-large size, with thin fingers. The thumb rest and the 'pinky ledge' on the bottom of the grip feel good enough at home or in the store, but at the range? It's the most comfortable pistol I have ever shot. I'm real picky about grips.

The weight, at 23.6 ounces, is perfect. Being new to revolvers, I don't want something real twitchy. This is one reason why I didn't get an LCRx (about 15 ounces) or and S&W 317 (about 10 ounces). The 856 would be 22 ounces, so very similar. I read some fucking place that getting a snubby that is too lightweight was a common rookie mistake, and for me, I suspect that would have been the case.

Northern wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 9:06 am
CowboyT wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 11:49 pm It’d be like calling you a racist because you responded to a minority like you did. Be careful.
Not the same, but yeah, it’s also a pretty common trope for boomer white men to believe that “reverse racism” or “reverse sexism” is a thing.
I am glad you spoke up, though I totally disagree with you.

This is why I think fourth and fifth wave feminism is kinda toy: The assumption that a member of a disenfranchised minority knows why a 'boomer white man' or anyone else is thinking.

Are there maybe some other explanations for the behavior you are observing? Maybe they aren't gatekeeping, maybe no one is trying to dominate the space. Maybe the person who is posting is just old and lonely (Big hint: That is not an invitation to explain to anyone why they are lonely), or bored, or just love posts in the hardware column. Or they love one particular weapon and can't stop talking about it.

By the turn of the century, and certainly by double-twenty, most men who are not part of the 2% are pretty clear that most of the time, no one gives a shit what they are thinking. Check TSleeveless, Voices in Power, September 2022.

Talking a lot is not always the same as talking down to someone. And, even when someone is talking down, that might not be the most tactically useful information if you want to monkey-wrench the patriarchy.

'Mansplaining' is totally a sexist term. So is 'boomer.'

Would you please not use them? Not giving orders, not telling you what's right or wrong, or what's inside your head. We have to work together. Our enemies love it when we fight amongst ourselves.

"May want to throw another log on the fire, Henry. I'm feeling a chilly draft in here."

"In every generation there are those who want to rule well - but they mean to rule. They promise to be good masters - but they mean to be masters." — Daniel Webster

OK folks, this thread has now gotten the attention of an admin.

Let's try to keep things civil, please. I'm sorry that some people tried to steer you to a semi-auto, Northern, but please don't jump to conclusions about their motivation. There's no reason to call it "mansplaining" when you don't know their gender any more than they know yours. Also, don't forget that the forum has an ignore feature and you can add people to your ignore list if their posts routinely bother you. All it does is make their post show up collapsed so you can see that they responded, but won't actually see the post contents unless you click on it.

CowboyT and others also need to stop commenting on this. Northern has already explained that they only want to consider revolvers and that they feel talked down to, so continuing to engage on either the topic of semis or the topic of how they reacted is just fueling the fire.

I would suggest that when Northern made their first comment about semis being off topic the the correct response to them would have been to say "sorry" and just move on to more discussion of revolvers. So lets all do that now, then eh? Talk about Taurus snubby revolvers.
106+ recreational uses of firearms
1 defensive use
0 people injured
0 people killed

To the OP, I’m a CZ fan most are semiautomatic. However, I’m also a revolver fan and carry a S&W 649 357 magnum snubby, it’s the only gun I have ever carried and the only one I intend to carry.
5AAD10FE-222A-49FE-9C0C-63AFD261EA67.jpeg
5956EB0A-9E17-4340-BA2F-A76F511500D9.jpeg
The five in the orange were my last five shots with 357 magnum. It was at a reasonable defense distance. To the OP if you wanted to talk about revolvers why did you pick just a single brand. It’s the only reason I didn’t comment, mine are mostly S&W.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

sikacz wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 7:23 pm To the OP, I’m a CZ fan most are semiautomatic. However, I’m also a revolver fan and carry a S&W 649 357 magnum snubby, it’s the only gun I have ever carried and the only one I intend to carry.5AAD10FE-222A-49FE-9C0C-63AFD261EA67.jpeg5956EB0A-9E17-4340-BA2F-A76F511500D9.jpeg
The five in the orange were my last five shots with 357 magnum. It was at a reasonable defense distance. To the OP if you wanted to talk about revolvers why did you pick just a single brand. It’s the only reason I didn’t comment, mine are mostly S&W.
Hi, Sikacz,

This is awesome. I’ve looked at that model, too, and it’s probably where I’m leaning now cutting the difference between the cheap revolvers i was asking about and the nicer ones that I want but can’t really afford at the moment.

I asked about Taurus because I wondered if they are just too cheap to function well, so that was my immediate inquiry even though the bigger picture is that while I spend most of my shooting time improving my skills with semi-autos, I do enjoy shooting revolvers and was hoping to find a small one to carry in my high-crime-rate neighborhood while walking my dog at night.

I’ve looked at Colt King Cobra Carry as well as Kimber K6s and both have a very smooth double action that I love. Beautiful guns. But I don’t currently have that much cash.
The S&W J frames are a nice middle ground and I was just holding some yesterday. I’ll probably get one. I appreciate your perspective as someone who shoots Euro semi-autos but carries a revolver.
I’ve even considered .22mag snubbies as an alternative. But I’ll likely get a .356 or .38 special. Still less punishing than my .44…

Northern wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 11:00 am
sikacz wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 7:23 pm To the OP, I’m a CZ fan most are semiautomatic. However, I’m also a revolver fan and carry a S&W 649 357 magnum snubby, it’s the only gun I have ever carried and the only one I intend to carry.5AAD10FE-222A-49FE-9C0C-63AFD261EA67.jpeg5956EB0A-9E17-4340-BA2F-A76F511500D9.jpeg
Hi, Sikacz,

This is awesome. I’ve looked at that model, too, and it’s probably where I’m leaning now cutting the difference between the cheap revolvers i was asking about and the nicer ones that I want but can’t really afford at the moment.

I asked about Taurus because I wondered if they are just too cheap to function well, so that was my immediate inquiry even though the bigger picture is that while I spend most of my shooting time improving my skills with semi-autos, I do enjoy shooting revolvers and was hoping to find a small one to carry in my high-crime-rate neighborhood while walking my dog at night.

I’ve looked at Colt King Cobra Carry as well as Kimber K6s and both have a very smooth double action that I love. Beautiful guns. But I don’t currently have that much cash.
The S&W J frames are a nice middle ground and I was just holding some yesterday. I’ll probably get one. I appreciate your perspective as someone who shoots Euro semi-autos but carries a revolver.
I’ve even considered .22mag snubbies as an alternative. But I’ll likely get a .356 or .38 special. Still less punishing than my .44…
Revolvers / snubbies are under appreciated in the defense circles, however look up Grant Cunningham’s books on self defense with a snubnose.
https://www.grantcunningham.com/informa ... lver-book/
Lot of good information from him and if you get lucky enough to have him teach in your area he is highly recommended by many club/forum members who have had the opportunity. Personally on the revolver, get one you’re comfortable with and save for the one you really like. I’ve gravitated to the S&W model 49 and 649 myself, although I have my eye on a couple of their other models in the similar line. I chose to save for the one I really wanted. My first was a model 49 in 38 Special.
43EFC416-AEEE-4310-919C-F3144FAEEDB0.jpeg
It’s the black one on the left. Slightly shorter barrel, both can use the same pocket holster. I pretty much only carry the 357 though. I started carrying with the 49 (in house might have gone out once or twice, LoL) before I was able to get my hands on the 649. The better grip on the 649 is nice. I did a trigger job on the 49 springs and stuff. Really nice trigger on both. Might tweak the 649 at some point, but it is accurate enough. I have no worries carrying either in my front pocket. I’m pretty sure no one has ever noticed.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

Look at Ruger LCR. Won't break the bank and comes in Cartridge: .22 LR.22 WMR.38 Special +P.357 Magnum; 9mm Luger.327 Federal Magnum
I like my SP101 better though. Wanted a longer barrel so more accurate and can hit something further than " a reasonable defense distance" I assume is 9ft. Lol
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing,”

tonguengroover wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 12:26 pm Look at Ruger LCR. Won't break the bank and comes in Cartridge: .22 LR.22 WMR.38 Special +P.357 Magnum; 9mm Luger.327 Federal Magnum
I like my SP101 better though. Wanted a longer barrel so more accurate and can hit something further than " a reasonable defense distance" I assume is 9ft. Lol
I've got an LCR and an SP 101. The LCR trigger is much better. Not that the SP 101 trigger is bad by any means, particularly after I replaced the hammer spring with something a little lighter.

sikacz wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 12:06 pm
Hi, Sikacz,

Revolvers / snubbies are under appreciated in the defense circles, however look up Grant Cunningham’s books on self defense with a snubnose.
Lot of good information from him and if you get lucky enough to have him teach in your area he is highly recommended by many club/forum members who have had the opportunity. Personally on the revolver, get one you’re comfortable with and save for the one you really like. I’ve gravitated to the S&W model 49 and 649 myself, although I have my eye on a couple of their other models in the similar line. I chose to save for the one I really wanted. My first was a model 49 in 38 Special.
It’s the black one on the left. Slightly shorter barrel, both can use the same pocket holster. I pretty much only carry the 357 though. I started carrying with the 49 (in house might have gone out once or twice, LoL) before I was able to get my hands on the 649. The better grip on the 649 is nice. I did a trigger job on the 49 springs and stuff. Really nice trigger on both. Might tweak the 649 at some point, but it is accurate enough. I have no worries carrying either in my front pocket. I’m pretty sure no one has ever noticed.
Great info. Is the 649 still made? I’m seeing 642 Performance Center with similar grips but just .38special.

Northern wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 1:10 pm
sikacz wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 12:06 pm
Hi, Sikacz,

Great info. Is the 649 still made? I’m seeing 642 Performance Center with similar grips but just .38special.
Not sure which models are still made. I prefer the used market. I’m currently keeping an eye on the Cabela’s used gun section. I have credit card points. LoL. The grips are the type the performance center puts on these guns. I believe my 649 was made for the German performance market and somehow ended back in the states. Many of the models come in either a 38 Special or the 357 Magnum variety. The difference being the 357 cylinder and about a 1/4” longer barrel. I’d not hesitate in buying one of these used. Both of mine were, now they are in their forever home. LoL.
By the way those grips would work on my 49 model and I plan to find some for it. I believe it improves my shooting.

I believe the 642 is lightweight, I avoid those. Read up on the different models first and then decide what you want. Small gun large caliber I like to have as much weight as possible.

Northern wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 1:12 pm To those recommending the LCR, I just held one yesterday and it’s in the running, in particular if I go for .22mag, if I can even find one.
I recommended an LCR, but I can't speak to a rimfire version. I expect it will have a nice trigger. For a rimfire.