My First Pistol - Canik SFx Rival

Yesterday I bought my first pistol. I signed up for a "find your fit" session with a local gun shop (ShootSmart in Fort Worth, TX) Out of an initial group of seven pistols we narrowed it down to the Canik SFx Rival. It felt good to shoot and I managed to be decently accurate with it. And it seems to come with a lot of accessories. This is my very first gun purchase so I really don't have much to compare it with, but I like it so far. Still I'm curious what others think of it.

Now that I have a pistol I'm interested in getting some training accessories that I have seen here and there. Specifically, I once saw a video of a guy using a laser that inserts into the barrel and is activated by the pistol striker. It also had a target that would register a hit to help you know you were on target. Do any of you know what that system was? Or know of anything like that? Got a recommendation? I did a Google search and found some things that looked close, but wasn't sure.

Thanks all.

Re: My First Pistol - Canik SFx Rival

In my humble opinion, that's the best way to buy your first handgun: Try everything you can rent, rank them as they suit YOU, and then go with the best.
You find that guns some people RAVE about you'll say "WTF", and others that they are meh about you'll like or not...and so on.

For example, lots of people love CZ 75s but the one I tried I couldn't come close to hitting anything and it double-fired on me. I was surprised I like the Glock G19 as much as I did--it was 4th on my list (the G17 was 5th), after the Beretta 92fs, the Walther PPQ, and H-K VP-9 (the PPQ and VP-9 were tied for first). I ended up with the VP-9.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

Welcome aboard!!

When I returned to the world of firearm ownership a couple years ago, a friend of my wife's met us in a gun store and talked guns for an hour or two. The friend gave us a list of what they considered excellent values in carry pistols, and one was a Canik TP9-series sub-compact. I couldn't find one at the time (remember that this was 2020...), so bought a CZ P10S and a SigSauer P365XL, figuring that my wife would get to choose which worked best for her and I'd use the other one. Long story short, I've found that CZ pistols suit me quite well, and my EDC is a 75D PCR (after carrying that P10S, a P10C, and a P07 in succession).

Gun choices can evolve, especially if one has "discretionary funds" to toss at the new hobby.

I keep looking at Canik offerings in the gun store, and I suppose that when the "N+1" bug (the CORRECT number of guns in one's personal armory is N+1, where the current number of guns is N) bites again, I'll give a Canik a closer look.
Eventually I'll figure out this signature thing and decide what I want to put here.

Masonheart wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 7:20 pm Speaking of pics, how do I add a pic to a post?
There may be an option for "Full Editor and Preview" at the bottom right of the area in which you are typing. If so, there should be a way to add images. It takes some finessing to put the image exactly where you want it, but it's doable.

It may not appear yet because you haven't posted enough. Or something.
Eventually I'll figure out this signature thing and decide what I want to put here.

Congratulations on your first gun. Probably won't be your last. BUT, shoot it, as much as you can. Learn about it, get proficient with it, make sure it's functional, reliable
and fills the 'niche' for you. Along with that, learn and follow all the various safety protocols that go along with owning and using a handgun. I'm sure you are finding that inspite of the deadliness of a handgun, they are great fun to shoot recreationally.

Masonheart wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 7:20 pm
CDFingers wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 5:00 pm A full race gun, so that rocks. Must have pics. I read a review that spoke well of it at Sportsmans.com

CDFingers
Speaking of pics, how do I add a pic to a post?
You've had enough posts, so you'll be able to post pics. When you start a post, scroll down until you see the word "attachments." Click it. Then you'll see "add files." When you click it you will see your files, so go through them until you find the one, then click it and follow the other clicks.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

I think you have made a great choice for your first gun. Now shoot the daylights outta that thing and enjoy yourself!
Shop for a Kydex holster, when you think you found one, ask the forum for there opinion on it before you buy. Most of us have a drawer full of "holster mistakes". We want to save you a few hundred dollars by NOT making the same mistakes we did.
All religions united with government are more or less inimical to liberty. All, separated from government, are compatible with liberty.-Henry Clay
Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms.—Aristotle

I agree with Hiker; you made a great choice!

I used to work as a bike shop service manager. I had customers who had CLOSETS full of saddles they bought to try and couldn't return, so Hiker's advice about holsters is worth a listen. The holster is one of your primary interaction points with a carry gun, so it has to be right for you.

I have a leather fetish and much prefer over Kydex. My Kydex seldom make it out of the holster box. Give that Canik a good holster and you'll both be happy.
"Being Republican is more than a difference of opinion - it's a character flaw." "COVID can fix STUPID!"
The greatest, most aggrieved mistake EVER made in USA was electing DJT as POTUS.

Holsters multiply often as I change carry positions for different occasions like winter vs summer OWB VS IWB, shoulder put on an optic etc.
For my LCP I put a laser on so I got a kydex holster that you can change up to different positions and allows c u t out for the laser. My only laser BTW.
For my Ruger Max 9 which is optic ready I bought my first polymer holster by Fobus. Love it and can switch positions with it easily.
I do like leather but not retention straps.
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing,”

F4FEver wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 7:50 am
FlyGuy wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 10:41 am I know we are getting off original topic, but maybe someone could start a "Holster Review" Thread with pictures and critiques, both good and bad.
Or a holster buy/sell/trade section...
Man, I should just open my closet and take a pic. LOL.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack