Re: Let's see and talk revolvers.

I bought myself a father's day gift last night on Gunbroker; it should be in my hands in about a week. But I needed a .38-40 revolver to go with my Winchester 92. I have also been wanting a 7.5" SAA, so I combined the two and ordered one up. Uberti/Taylor's Blue/CCH 7.5" .38-40 inbound!
“I think there’s a right-wing conspiracy to promote the idea of a left-wing conspiracy”

FrontSight wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 11:01 am I bought myself a father's day gift last night on Gunbroker; it should be in my hands in about a week. But I needed a .38-40 revolver to go with my Winchester 92. I have also been wanting a 7.5" SAA, so I combined the two and ordered one up. Uberti/Taylor's Blue/CCH 7.5" .38-40 inbound!
Pics? Used or new?
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing,”

FrontSight wrote:I bought myself a father's day gift last night on Gunbroker; it should be in my hands in about a week. But I needed a .38-40 revolver to go with my Winchester 92. I have also been wanting a 7.5" SAA, so I combined the two and ordered one up. Uberti/Taylor's Blue/CCH 7.5" .38-40 inbound!
Finding components for that cartridge seems like a nightmare. (Maybe it’s such an odd duck it’s actually easier…? ) It’s bad enough being a .45 colt guy; which is downright common compared to .38-40.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tonguengroover wrote:Question; Considering you had neither gun or caliber, would you buy a Ruger Vaquero 45 LC or buy a 1911 45 ACP?
1911. For the ammo cost/availability alone. That’s if you actually want to shoot it.

.45 colt is a hand-loader cartridge. I’ve never even shot a factory round through mine. If you already loaded, .45 Colt I’d say go that way.

Large pistol Primers are a bit more available than small pistol primers but still expensive & scarce.

Goodness, $60 bucks for some long colt 45's. vs 40 for acp. Course thats at a small shop. The big store didn't even have any LC.
There was a Ruger Super Redhawk stainless 6 in in 454 casull at the big store, used.
Saw a Colt 45 LC for 1800 bucks, new. OUCH
And a Umberti 45 LC that looked near the same for $600.

Kinda wish washy on the 1911's.
Saw a bunch for $469 to $499 like SDS, Tisas and Rock Island Armory.
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing,”

CDFingers wrote:
tonguengroover wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 12:51 pm Question; Considering you had neither gun or caliber, would you buy a Ruger Vaquero 45 LC or buy a 1911 45 ACP?
Yes. Maybe not both at once, but, yes.

45s3.JPG

CDFingers
This one does both … (but this would be second choice after a 1911; at least it was for me) This way you still have a functional firearm while you gather what you need to make .45 colt. I shoot both this and the 1911 about the same amount. Like them both.

I checked out the Vaquero with the Hand of God grips ( post #70) yesterday. It's in great shape, no scratches, seems to cycle nicely. But not sure its worth $795.
If it had the other cylinder for 45acp I might do it.
How much do those cost? And can you switch them out on any 45 LC Vaquero?

On the 1911's, doesn't seem like prices are going down. Like the Tisas seem to be up a hundred bucks from a year or so.

Picked up my fathers day gift yesterday (no pic's yet). 7.5" Uberti SAA in .38-40, blue CCH. This is now the 3rd Uberti in a row with an absolutely amazing trigger right out of the box. How amazing? As in, as good as my pre-war Colt Officers Target's single action pull. Not sure what's going on at Uberti, but they're SERIOUSLY doing something right in the trigger department.
“I think there’s a right-wing conspiracy to promote the idea of a left-wing conspiracy”

tonguengroover wrote:I checked out the Vaquero with the Hand of God grips ( post #70) yesterday. It's in great shape, no scratches, seems to cycle nicely. But not sure its worth $795.

On the 1911's, doesn't seem like prices are going down. Like the Tisas seem to be up a hundred bucks from a year or so.
I just don’t see the prices of all-steel frame, high quality,(Ruger, Smith, colt) revolvers coming down anytime soon. They are more scarce compared to the mainstream plastic guns. I think Ruger vaqueros were 6-$650 before Covid at the price bottom. I’ve haven’t paid less than $700 for those types of pistols since the beginning of 2020. I thought that the demand for them would fall by now but my bet is they just aren’t making as many, when the same companies can “flood the zone” with polymer pistols at greater profits.

tonguengroover wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 10:07 am I checked out the Vaquero with the Hand of God grips ( post #70) yesterday. It's in great shape, no scratches, seems to cycle nicely. But not sure its worth $795.

You can't just go out and pick up another cylinder like it's a magazine. Each has to be tuned to the gun. In defense of an old model Vaquero with just the .45LC cylinder for eight bills is that it's worth it. Two reasons: first, you'll forget the money in ten years; second, I am biased to this gun. If you are like me and have more money than sense, buy the Vaquero and the second cylinder and have a gun smith tune it. I really enjoy shooting the .45acp out the Vaquero because my go-to load for the .45LC is a 250 gr LRNFP @ 950 fps, so the 230 gr FMJ @ 850 fps is all, "Meh."

re: 1911's: my Springfield 1911A-1 has eaten successfully every, single brand I have fed it. In case I haven't put in this link, here:

viewtopic.php?t=45561&sid=3a5cb344718a1 ... bb6de66836

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

Let's see and talk revolvers.

tonguengroover wrote:
FrontSight wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 3:44 pm That's a very good price for a Vaquero, I'd buy that and I'm not a Ruger guy.
What? $795 or what I offered?
Probably too low. It’s not a horrible deal at $795. I’d say $750, while not a steal is a fair price since these aren’t exactly all over the place in quantity…

When someone offers me a Hundo less I move along, $50 I consider a counter.

Regarding the Ruger Vaquero. Yes, we all have more money than sense when it comes to firearms. That is a given because we are even discussing this subject of dropping serious coinage in acquiring an antiquated revolver “just because” it looks pretty and feels good in the hand. And yes, we all pretty much forget the price paid over time. And firearms generally don’t go down in price much unless we reach enlightenment and lose interest in holding onto material objects. But this revolver may not be the best one for you unless the owner drops his asking... only because you are interested in the .45acp cylinder. If you were willing to load/shoot .45LC (as god and country intended out of a SAA variant) then go ahead and buy this one. Any thoughts of buying an extra cylinder and having a qualified gunsmith (or Ruger tech) properly set the timing to your revolver would be obscenely expensive for very little return, IMHO. At least inquire around with some qualified gunsmiths about the cost of a cylinder replacement first. You may be surprised.
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

INVICTVS138 wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 5:12 pm
tonguengroover wrote:
FrontSight wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 3:44 pm That's a very good price for a Vaquero, I'd buy that and I'm not a Ruger guy.
What? $795 or what I offered?
Probably too low. It’s not a horrible deal at $795. I’d say $750, while not a steal is a fair price since these aren’t exactly all over the place in quantity…

When someone offers me a Hundo less I move along, $50 I consider a counter.

But but i read The Art of The Deal and my take away from it is L O W B A L L the sucker. Lol J/K
Besides its used.
Like i told the guy, theres a new Umberti 45 LC that looks just like it for $625 down the street.
Id prefer a Ruger and if its just a LC forever thats fine.
I really dont like used guns that much.

That tactical SAA clone makes my head hurt and my heart ache. But meh, what do I know... I’m Chinese and dance Argentine Tango.
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi